What to do now?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What to do now?

Postby becbob » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi all, I have had FM for over a year now and at one point it was so bad that I pretty much spent 3 months bedbound. I was then given Duluxotine and its done wonders. I am able to get out and do things but it needs to be planned in advance and I need to do LOTS of resting in between tasks. I have managed to keep my job but I can only manage 10 hours a week. I do a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It kills me but I do it because I like getting out and I don't want to give in to this illness. I have been on working tax credits for years but I have just received a letter asking me to prove I do 16 hours a week. I didn't even think about telling tax credits. Now I'm worried that they will stop all my money. Also I really have no idea what I can claim now. Will they believe me that I can only manage 10 hrs a week?
Do I have to go to the jobcentre?
I really have no idea where to go from here. Last year I made a claim for PIP but cancelled it after my condition improved. I still have very bad days and I hurt ALL the time. There are so many things that I am not able to do. I really need some advice on what would be best. Thanks for any help or advice.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Re: What to do now?

Postby migrembe » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:19 pm

I tried to find the gov.ben site but it was very confusing. It is 3 years since i last claimed it, but this is what i was told then -

to claim working tax credit you need to be 16 and over, work 16 hours a week and have the care of child who is in full time education

or

if you are 25 or over and have no dependants you need to work 30 hours a week

or

if you are getting high rate disability you only need to work 16 hours a week

http://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/tax- ... working-tx

and if they think they have over paid you or you are not working enough hours they will want the money back from when you changed your hours - sorry!

Although it is not impossible to get PIP while working it is very difficult if all you are diagnosed with is FMS.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Bev x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:52 pm

Stick your info in the calculator here

www.entitledto.co.uk

That'll tell you what you should be getting.
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby gilld » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:48 pm

hi...contact fightbackforjustice for best advice anywhere...they are amazing. just google. cant remeber website exactly. fibro fog. am sure u know what i mean. good luck x
gilld
UKFM Member

Postby Theresa34 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:21 pm

They're heartless people. They will probably want to money back. In fact they will want it back. It took me 3 yrs to pay them back and that was by not getting any of my child tax credits. I told them I wasn't entitled to working tax credits but they insisted.i used it for food and bills then they wanted it back. They're currently not paying up again. They drive me insane :crazy: :(
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Postby Pandaspot » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi
They will want back the money, although you don't qualify for wtc now you may qualify for esa/jsa or IS as you are doing under 16 hours a week.

(I was a benefit assessor until recently, 15yrs experience) z
Pandaspot
UKFM Newbie

Postby becbob » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Thanks for the advice. I understand that I will probably have to repay and claim for a new benefit but the problem now is I don't know how to. Do I go to the job centre and ask or is there someone I call.
What I find most distressing is that I've been diagnosed with FM and thats it. We are given no help or guidance as to what to do next. No help or support. Once you've been diagnosed they just leave you to get on with it. I would love some help but where do you get it from. I have found this site and its been a god send. But surely you would think that when you are diagnosed with a life changing condition that they would give you some support or guidance as to what to do next. Feeling rather isolated at the moment like I've be left out to dry.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:38 pm

You need to phone the tax credit people as it is them that have contacted you and let them know. As for other benefits you might be able to claim try calling the job centre or even CAB might be able to help. They will only pay job seekers or whatever it is called these days up to the maximum allowed by the state so if your wage is more than that a week they probably wouldn't pay you anything, but you could get help with rent or council tax.

I have never been to a support group for FM but i found counselling, and MIND, which give mental health support the best places to go and you can go back to your GP, but most of them are as blind as we are about the condition.

:flowers:

Bev x
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:21 pm

You definitely need to talk to the Tax Credit peoples about this situation, and ideally as quickly as you can so that you can get things resolved with the minimum amount of frustration and upset to yourself.

You may find that you are eligible to claim Employment and Support Allowance as it can be paid to some people whilst they are still working. The best way to find out would be to speak to someone who knows the system well as they will be able to give you advice based on your specific circumstances. Advisers can be found at CAB, Welfare Rights and other similar organisations in your area.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby rich44 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:54 am

If anyone gets money and it's their fault you do not have to pay it back.

If it's because you didn't tell them then you do have to
rich44
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits