feeling useless...

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

feeling useless...

Postby Hellyn » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:25 am

the one thing I find horrible is the effect my fibro has on my brain and motivation...
i find forms overwhelming, i look at them and it looks mammoth, to much to deal with mentally. it freaks me out that i have turned into this jelly brained human.

I have no fight or anger in me...i feel like a door mat, i cant summon up the old me that would fight to the death. The task is just overwhelming..

This is someone who got a first on her thesis, where did she go? where is my brain function melting too?

I have a PIP reconsideration to deal with, insurance forms for a holiday accident i had...

does anyone understand how frustrating and demoralising this is to deal with?

Today i feel like im existing like a slug on the lettuce leaf of life.....doh!

hellyn.
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Re: feeling useless...

Postby Ali170 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:55 am

Hi my love.
I am so sorry you are feeling like this, I know it all too well. I somehow manage to summon up the where withall to do these tedious tasks, but it can be daunting. Is there anyone who can sit with you while you do it ? I find I perk up a bit if I've got a bit of company, or even fill it in for you ?
This condition robs us of so many things, I can put up with pain (mostly !) but the fatigue and brain fog is so debilitating and I think that's the bit people can't understand.
Try and do it when your meds have kicked in, have a cup of coffee and switch off any distractions and try to focus with a friend who understands. I have a friend with fibro as well and we really help each other out (one of us will be feeling a bit stronger on the day).
Good luck love, it might pass, as it often does, sending gentle hugs xx
Ali170
UKFM Member

Postby Ren22 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:31 pm

I have
Fibro Fog all the while, it's so embarrassing having a conversation when most of the words are erm. I used to work in accounts and always had professional conversations which I know I could never do now. It's upsetting people thinking you are thick when you want to scream I'm I'll, I may look ok on the outside but inside I'm in agony and as for PIP it frustrates me that people with Fibro get turned down but someone who is an alcoholic gets higher rate DLA and higher rate motobility because they are too drunk to walk and function properly. I can't work but I'm scared to apply for PIP after reading people's experience. We need to Fibromyalgia taken seriously and that it can be as debilitating as MS. Everyone with bad experiences of claiming please email your local MP with your negative experience and if they get enough complaints of how the government benefit offices are discriminating against Fibromyalgia sufferers they will have to do something.
Ren22
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:57 pm

Apply you have the right just as anyone else.
Good Luck. x
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:33 pm

It is horrible but here's hopeing to a better tomorrow :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby skistar » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:16 pm

Dear Hellyn,

I can really relate, I am in line for a 1st on my uni course but due to the stress from various factors and the fibro am unable to continue with this. I would also usually fight to the death to stay on my course or defeat the odds, but I am no longer able to nor have the motivation to do so. I have grudgingly accepted that I need to grieve for the loss of my old self; despite it going against everything I believe in, but I have acknowledged in order to grow I have to let go. (Cheesy I know!)

Sending you many many gentle hugs, please know you are not alone in this. You are still you, but it is a case of navigating through The Fog & beginning to discover this new you. Which without doubt takes time, adjustment & rediscovery. You are still a fighter, you are still that woman who achieved that 1st in her Thesis, those talents are still there.

Not sure if this will help at all but these are a few things I have found helpful when The Fog comes to Town; like having a daily memo board, an online calender that also links to my phone & provides daily reminders for tasks & events, with forms I simply find these too overwhelming so seek for support with them, I make sure I take regular snacks, regular breaks when the fog is in town (so I do a task for 10-20 mins then take a 30-60 min break before resuming or longer if needed), stay hydrated, try to ensure I don't get too over stimulated ( actively avoid raves lol :-D ).

For the PIP reconsideration could your local CAB help you fill this in? I have found their support rather invaluable when it comes to form filling. They may be able to provide support with the insurance forms too. Other agencies such as Rethink, Mind, local befriending services can also provide this sort of support too. Having a look at what local charities are in your area that maybe able to help too.

It is very difficult to ask for support in these things, especially when we are used to being so independent it understandably can feel embarrassing & extremely upsetting to have to ask for help, but you deserve all the support you can get to enable you to do whatever you wish to achieve.

I do understand the frustration & feelings of demoralization. But believe it or you are stronger than this illness :lol: & I will happily hang out with you on your lettuce leaf to be beside you & remind you that you are not alone xxxx Hope this helps in some small way Hellyn take care lovely.

Skistar xxx
skistar
UKFM Newbie

Postby Theresa34 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:00 pm

My brain is mush. I'm getting so frustrated! I have about a five minute memory. Its ridiculous. I struggle to concentrate, I say the wrong words in conversations, I cant remember what I've said to my kids and when they ask me something later, I end up going against what I have previously said because I have forgotten! I have constant reminders in my phone for appointments, medicines, and anything else I should remember either for the next day or the next few days. I dont to out to work. Cant imagine how I could with a mushy brain. I feel like every morning I wake up with a clean slate/brain.
I am a fibro fighter not a fibro sufferer. I will keep fighting from the minute I get up til the minute I go to bed.
Theresa34
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits