Collecting PIP Evidence.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Collecting PIP Evidence.

Postby becbob » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:27 pm

I have just applied for PIP and I have phoned the CAB and they will help me fill in the forms. I was just wondering what other evidence I would need. Do I need to contact my own doctors and ask for my medical notes or does PIP do that for me. Also my mum is a care team manager at a nursing home and my sister is a social worker. Will it help/be ok if they were to both write a letter explaining about my day to day life and how my condition affects me.
I have been keeping a pain diary so I will send that in but I just wondered what evidence others have used and did it help.
Any advice will he greatly received.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Re: Collecting PIP Evidence.

Postby DollyGee » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Can you tell me what PIP stands for please an what it is, I have fibro, and have been off work nearly a year, so I need to know what is what, many thanks :-D
DollyGee
UKFM Newbie

Postby helenfelen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:45 pm

PIP -personal independent payment - it's the new DLA!
helenfelen
UKFM Member

Postby becbob » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:48 pm

It's Personal Independence Payment. Its a benefit from the government to help people with disabilities. Try looking at this sit http://www.gov.uk/pip/overview
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby cocobella » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:18 pm

I really hope your journey with PIP goes a lot better than mine. Evidence wise, I have provided things from photographs, videos, letters from doctors, physio, occ therapist, counsellors, even had to go to the extreme of seeing my local MP to get involved as they disallowed my claim.

I had applied for PIP in June 2013, then had assessment on September 2013, ATOS lost all my assessment report records and failed to tell me this until April 2014, when they said I HAD to come back for an assessment as they lost all my data (ARGH). :yikes: So I went back and was then informed in May 2014 that the decision to give me PIP was disallowed. Despite me losing my fulltime job to my chronic illness (on top of fibro). I am only 27 and cannot work fulltime due to my symptoms. I was disallowed by TWO points, which I am challenging. I am now at appeal stage and am awaiting for a Tribunal hearing. It is disgusting in this day and age that you have to go to such extremes to prove you are unwell daily. I find the whole journey with ATOS and DWP has made me feel worse. I have a solicitor involved now via legal aid who is representing me at my tribunal. As PIP is a new benefit they are now sending DWP Presenting Officers to tribunals to "argue" their case as to why they disallowed decisions. I dread to think what they will even try to use against me when I have so much medical evidence.

This is all part of the "cuts" that are being made in this country and it is shocking. I think even if I win my appeal, I will be a forever paranoid wreck on a good day and will be too scared to walk my dogs etc or brush my hair. There are so many stories of DWP spying on people now too.

Sorry to be so negative too. Good luck to you and ALL of us who are practically having to "beg" from DWP. :evil:

Coco x
cocobella
UKFM Member

Postby Librarychick » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:51 pm

Find fybromyalgia fight back pa g e on th. They will help.
Librarychick
UKFM Member

Postby becbob » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:57 pm

Oh my god Coco that is bloody awful. It's disgusting that they are targeting and penalising people with disabilities. It's exhausting me just thinking about it all. We are vulnerable and instead of helping us they try everything possible to to stop us from getting help.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby fletch » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:44 pm

The more aids you need the better like hand rails grabbers to pick things off the floor raised toilet seat they all add points
fletch
UKFM Member

Postby becbob » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:43 pm

I did try using a walking stick but the trouble was that my hands, arms, shoulders, neck and back ended up hurting more. I do have an electric scooter so that should help.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi, my wife is the Fibro sufferer in our house, whilst she has been in receipt of high rate mobility DLA for about 23 years, this hasn't been converted to PIP as yet, that'll happen anytime from October 2015 onwards as she currently has an indefinite award.

She has however been through the process of claiming ESA twice now. Whilst they are different benefits the approach taken should be very similar. Assume the reader of your application knows nothing about you, your illness, or the effect the illness has on your life/abilities. Be as detailed as you can be in answering questions within the application form, again DO NOT assume that the reader will understand the facts from what you imply in your description. Write in ABC language spelling out every detail so that the reader gets a very clear understanding of everything you are telling them. You must clearly explain what impact your illness has upon your abilities. This is then supplemented with the supporting evidence that you gather. When we have been through this for my wife we have compiled a numbered appendices which has each piece of evidence clearly separated and numbered. Within the application form or any separate text that you write to accompany it, as you make each point then also make reference to the piece of evidence that you are supplying to support what you are saying, and detail which appendix number that can be found in. i.e. make it easy for the reader.

The types of evidence that we've used, amongst other things, have included :-

Historical ATOS Incapacity Benefit Reports to evidence long standing ill health previously identified and recorded
Historical Pain Management programme reports
Long term DLA High Rate Mobility award
Ill Health Retirement reports
Occupational Therapist file notes
Musculoskeletal Clinical Assessment report documenting spinal problems
GP's Medical Assessment report (which we had to pay £150 for !)
Rheumatology appointments and subsequent reports / FM diagnosis
Physiotherapy appointments
Neurophysiology appointments
Pain consultant appointment and subsequent report / FM diagnosis
ENT Referral and subsequent report / Stress related severe tinnitus diagnosis
Copy sick notes provided by the GP
Evidence of blue parking badge award and various other related concessions
Photographs to evidence modifications made to the house to provide ground floor living including ground floor shower/toilet with mobility aids
Evidence of Council tax disabled band reduction (awarded because of the modifications made to our home)
Photographs of Access ramp at the front of the house.
Photographs of wheeled walking frames used by my wife,
Statement from the GP supporting the application
Statement from our local MP supporting the application
List of prescribed medication.

The thing is do not dismiss potential evidence because you may think its trivial. Lots of small pieces of evidence can be essential to paint the bigger picture. I've suggested before on the forum that you should look at this as a jigsaw and the reader will not see the full picture until you put all of the pieces into place.

Remember that you are not restricted by the size of the application form, you can supply as much information as you like.

The reader will ultimately be looking to establish which descriptors are met, based upon the information you give and evidence you supply to support what you are saying. It pays to thoroughly research the benefit that you are applying for and its relevant descriptors as this should assist you in providing information/evidence that the reader can associate with those descriptors.

If the information /evidence provided is significant then on occasion an award may be arrived at based on paper assessment only.

Importantly be truthful and evidence what you are saying.

Good luck

Macca
macca
UKFM Member

Postby becbob » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:36 pm

Macca thank you for taking the time to give me such a detailed reply. You've been really kind and a BIG help. Now I know what they may be looking for. I shall call my Dr's in the morning and get the ball rolling. Also the CAB are going to help me with filling in the actual form. Just need to get all the evidence together now.
It amazes me that we have to go through such lengths just to get help. I find it really hard to get my head around forms since I've been diagnosed. I also have very little energy now a days too and I'm having to use so much of it to sort this out. Really sucks being disabled all round.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:59 pm

No worries, I hope it is of some help. I learned the hard way so if I can help you not to go through the degree of stress that we did then you're most welcome.

I find it helps to scan every relevant document and work on a submission gradually. Small bite sized pieces and all that. It helps to go away from it then come back as you need to and re-read with a fresh head etc.

I think my wife's last submission was around 180 pages all in so not insignificant but all vital in my eyes.
macca
UKFM Member

Postby Ren22 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:25 am

Hi I need to apply for PIP as I can't work due to injuries in a serious head on car crash 12 years ago which not only caused physical injuries but also bought on severe depression. I was hospitalised two and a half years ago with severe glandular fever, so bad they gave me a lumber puncture and a brain scan because I was so ill they thought it might be meningitis or a brain tumour. I have never recovered from this but was diagnosed two months ago with Fibro. Has anyone tried to apply for PIP in the Suffolk area? I must admit I am scared reading people's experiences. Xx
Ren22
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:35 pm

Its easy said I know but try not to be scared of the process.

Yes some people have had bad experiences, my wife included, but with the benefit of hindsight and having now been through the ESA process and securing the right outcome its very clear to me that the pragmatic approach that i've outlined above presents the reader with a very clear and stuctured application supported with the appropriate evidence to support the claim. And that's the top and bottom of it, being clear about the problem, how it affects your abilities / life, and very importantly evidencing what you are saying.

I'd imagine that some folks often go off track by stating a medical problem and expecting the reader to know intimately what that then means in terms of impact on their abilities/life. Big mistake, as I've said in a previous post, assume the reader knows nothing and be as clear as you can in telling them everything you need them to know. The descriptors that apply to PIP for instance allow the reader to award points based on whether the effect on the claimants abilites are such that a particular descriptor is met. So with that in mind that tells us that we have to present all the relevant detail and appropriate evidence to leave the reader in no doubt as to whether a descriptor (and so the points associated with it) are met.

Also don't be under the illusion that DWP will gather evidence for you, i.e. write to your GP etc. Take the bull by the horns and ensure that you gather your own evidence and clearly present that along with your application, then you know they have it.

Hope that helps,

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits