What should I do?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

What should I do?

Postby mrsk » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Hello,
I'm new here any looking for some advice.
I have, for some time, been thinking about claiming PIP and trying to get a blue badge for my car. Has anyone else been through this process? I'm quite scared about losing money if they asses me financially and I end up worse off, or if they accuse me of pretending to be ill. Some days I'm ok, and I really do worry that they will think me a fraud.............help!!

Heather
mrsk
UKFM Newbie

Re: What should I do?

Postby MichelleJ » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. Pip is not an income benefit so there is no financial assessement for it so you can't end up worse off by trying. You got nothing to lose by giving it a go. My advice though would be not to fill the form in yourself. - either contact an organisation like cab and ask them to help you with it or some councils (may be all of them but not sure) have a benefits options team who will come to your home and fill it in for you and also see if there is any other help you could be entitled to, financial or otherwise. This is the option I used for my claim. You also need your drs on side as they will be asked to provide medical evidence to back up your claim. Always base your answers on your worst day but say that the condition is changeable but that most of the time you are unable to do x y and z. I was successful with my claim (on dla indefinite award so not being assessed for the new pip for now) and was awarded higher rate of both mobility and care at my reassessment last year. I was very honest with them about everything and my g.p supported my claim. Good luck.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:24 pm

PIP does not interfere with any current benefits or savings or wages. Its for mobility and care needs so it will be ok.

You can apply for blue badge anyway without being in receipt of PIP but having an award will go with you on a decision and if you get the higher rate of mobility i think this automaticly makes you eligable.

PIP should cater for fluctuating conditions. They then assess over a time period what help you may need and assess it that way but im currently on DLA still so not fully up on the PIP

Good luck :-)
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Ivy67 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi, I'm in the process of seeing what I can claim, I am working full time at the moment but really struggling. I am also under threat of redundancy which could be positive (we'll see), I suggest you use the Turn2us benefits calculator to see what you are entitled to and get help from a charity to fill in forms and get advice.
I help people in the work that I do but still get as much support as possible for people as it is a minefield, especially the form filling :crazy: I don't know what the benefits advisors are like where you are but I have never found them helpful and I have used them a lot for the people I work with, specific disability charities are usually more helpful.

Good luck :-D
Ivy67
UKFM Newbie

Postby hazely » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:38 am

Hi ive just been turned down for pip, but the gp who did my form a 2 year old could have wrote better and more. I have not seen this gp for over 5 years and yet he writes up my medical info. Really annoys me that the gp i actually see regularly cant write up my report. Only put i have fibro no mention of my other illnesses. i am currently doing a reconsideration.
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:21 am

hazely wrote:Hi ive just been turned down for pip, but the gp who did my form a 2 year old could have wrote better and more. I have not seen this gp for over 5 years and yet he writes up my medical info. Really annoys me that the gp i actually see regularly cant write up my report. Only put i have fibro no mention of my other illnesses. i am currently doing a reconsideration.

I had a registrar who was training with the surgery for only 1 year write up my report! ok i had seen her on numerous occasions and warned her that the paperwork may come through with partly her name on it plus my own GP as i put on the form what GP's i have currently been seeing.

Trouble was she didnt fill the form out correctly and didnt put any information on it only one word answers :-? she also put on the form that i had no diagnoses of CFS yet in all my medical reports they state fatigue frequantly and even used CFS along the years as an excuse for symptoms and even the cause of many other conditions like the hives and angeodemia i get! :-?

I contacted the surgery and spoke to one of the head partners. He was very understanding and told me that 1) he wold refer me back to the Rhumatologist to get a proper CFS diagnoses (on paper) and 2) I could write down and give in all my care and moblity needs which he would put on my notes for further DWP reports and 3) I could at any time request any information i needed that they held on the system to print off for evidence for my claims :-D

So i suggest you speak with your GP and ask what can he do to help you for this appeal as the GP report was no efficiant enough!

Good Luck!
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits