ATOS medical at home?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ATOS medical at home?

Postby davidomz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 am

Hi folks, I recieved my ATOS appointment for my PIP application yesterday.
It states the interview will be conducted at home.
I know they aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts to reduce my anxiety but home is my safe haven and the thought of someone coming into my only safe place and judging me is awful.
Are home appointments the way forward now or is this a test of my anxiety?
I don't trust anyone anymore due to bad past experiences!
TIA
Dx
davidomz
UKFM Newbie

Re: ATOS medical at home?

Postby Flippy22 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:45 am

You are right to be concerned. BUT it is good they are coming to you, it shows you are unable to travel at least. Just make sure any medications and aids are close by, try to have someone with you if possible and remember to use your worst days when giving info if these are most of the time. Look round and check if there is anything like trip hazards etc that you are aware of so wouldn't trip but they might argue are against your claim. Sorry about the lack of proper words, bad fog.
Flippy22
UKFM Member

Postby LibbyWick » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:37 am

They have seen your application and decided it's better for you to be seen at home rather than an anxious, painful, difficult journey somewhere you don't know. Be prepared with any aids, meds, etc. I had my daughter with me which helped with my anxiety and when I couldn't find the words she stepped in. The lady who did my assessment at home was lovely. I couldn't have wished her to be nicer. Fingers crossed you get someone the same. Try not to worry too much. Positive thoughts. :hugs:
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby sank9 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:46 am

Hi, I requested a home visit for my pip claim and twice now they have sent me appointments at centre. My cab lady who helps me rang them the first time when I only got an appointment reminder letter two days before the appointment having never received the original letter telling them we had made it clear on my form I couldn't travel to the centre and they said they would get me a home visit. This morning I received both a confirmation and a reminder at the same time for yet another appointment at the centre next wed. She has rang them again and told them I cannot get there and they said they hadn't got any home visits available at the moment and she said that was fine we would wait. My dla doesn't run out till end Feb 2016 but they had recalled me early so actually I am happy to wait as I continue to get my dla. I pity the poor people who are waiting for an appointment who have no money coming in and surely they should be sorting them out first but then I suppose they want to stop the ones of us that are getting money by turning our new claims down! This is capita not atos but I think they're both as bad as each other!
sank9
UKFM Newbie

Postby davidomz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Thank you kindly for your replies and support, I am rather very paranoid!
My best friend is taking some time owed and will sit with me as my mum working and hubby can't get away from work as he is working out of town. My friend is one of only 3 people I feel safe with so have double barrel protection. She has seen first hand the decline in my health and abilities over the last 10 years so can vouch for me.
Fingers crossed things go smoothly for once as I've barely any fight left in me.
Wishing all those with pending assessments good luck too and hugs to all Fibro sufferers, maybe next year will be our year for a cure!
Dxx
davidomz
UKFM Newbie

Postby morette5 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:59 am

Had mine last week, was turned down.
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby taramoonbeam74 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:31 am

Well there are many horror stories regarding this matter, but I would like to say that my experience with capita was great. They visited my home and I had my mum with me. I have no other illness than fibromyalgia, I was pushed by the lady doing the interview to tell her about my worst day, I had previously been in receipt of dla at high rate mobility and low rate care. Within a few weeks I got the letter to say that I am now in receipt of enhanced rate mobility and care through pip for the next five years!!!! Victory is possible! I can now get out of the house on my new mobility scooter and be safe in the knowledge that if I break down the motability company will rescue me!!! Just thought I would share a positive experience with you. Gentle hugs xxxx
taramoonbeam74
UKFM Newbie

Postby Magrat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi, I had my assessment at home. The ATOS assessor was 1 1/2 hours late. my anxiety was at it's limit! She was very empathic and knowledgeable about the condition. I got through, got my back pay and am able to move to a better house as a result..she saw me on a bad day.. hope your experience is the same.xxx :lol:
Magrat
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits