Work - Struggling big time - any advice

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Work - Struggling big time - any advice

Postby V_Eeyore » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi,

First off I would like to apologise this has probably been asked loads, I tried to search but it told me there were too many matches.

I havent told my work, for the main reason is I am afraid that once it gets out I won't manage to find work. I am a contractor so if I don't work I don't get paid, it is a very small world and everyone knows everyone here and I have worked too hard to give it up now.
We have to get in a minimun of 45 hours a week, which I now itsn't a lot but I really am stuggling to get through every single week. It mean I have to spend every weekend more or less in my bed to recover for the next week. I have lost all social life (not that I ever had much of one but still). Then monday always come round too quick.

At the moment I can't see an end to this, does anybody have any advice? I would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
V x
V_Eeyore
UKFM Member

Re: Work - Struggling big time - any advice

Postby Paula200 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:21 pm

You have done really well to be doing 45 hours a week. I have cut my days down to 3 and I was very open and honest with work but they don't seem to get it and just pilled more work on me and gave no help so I have given my notice to find a job with less stress. You could ask as a contractor to maybe start late one day to have a lay in on Wednesday I have a friend of a friend who's company were happy to do that for them loose a day midweek or you will really struggle you need a balance of life you may find just a couple of hours makes all the difference good luck
Paula200
UKFM Member

Postby karpep » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi, I'm really struggling too, work seamed ok at first and allowed me to work shorter days. They have now changed their mind and are now saying I have to work 7:30 to 6pm with 30 min break around 11:30. I got a letter from my doctor to say a 7hour shift is only just manageable. But they are disregarding that and say I have to do 3x10 hours and 2x 5hours. The 10 hour shifts means I come home and climb straight into bed. I don't get to see me husband or children these days. Oh and the days are not evened out I have the 2short days Monday and Tuesday then the 3 killers until the end of the week. Leaving me exhausted and in bed for the weekend. I'm so lost and even too tired to look for another job. But then who would hire a 40year old with fibro. Sorry for going on just wanted you to know your not alone and gladly I'm not alone either x
karpep
UKFM Newbie

Postby carolad » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:01 pm

I'm not surprised you are struggling - 45 hours a week is a lot :( I couldn't cope with my full time hours of 37 hours a week, so I reduced it to 30 hours. It has made a huge difference to me, I still don't really do anything outside of work because I need to rest but I'm not experiencing the complete and utter exhaustion that I did before.

Is there no way you can cut your hours without jeopardising your job? I hope you can find some way round it, being constantly exhausted is not easy :( x
carolad
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:52 am

Hi! I can appreciate your concerns as the men in our family are all tradesmen, electrician, plumber and carpenter.

You really are doing well to manage 45 hours. I would think your job would be evaluated by the quality of your work and not the hours. I am thinking that your boss would rather see you working a few less hours and doing a good job rather than working more and perhaps not doing things as well due to the obvious distraction of pain.

Is there any way that you could sub contract or have your own business where you can work around your bad days? I would think that your boss, if a decent fella, would be understanding and try to work something out with you.

My hubby put his hand through a table saw three years ago and can no longer do his job. It is frustrating when you have worked hard to build up a reputation and clientele.

Keep us informed of any changes you are able to make.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby V_Eeyore » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:29 pm

Thank you all for your kind words.

Unfortunately I was hospitalised a few months ago with glandular fever (on top of everything else it really was a magical time :( )When I returned to work I was allowed a few weeks of only doing 40 hours (not a lot of help) but then my boss took me into his office and told me if I didnt start putting in at least 45 hours I would get sacked.

I am afraid that if I tell him about this, he will sack me anyway beacuse he will assume that I cannot keep to my contract. I am lost, deep down I know I will have to tell them something but I have worked too hard to let it go. I guess with this condition I already feel like I have lost too much to give up my work also.

It doesnt help that my GP doesnt believe in Fibro and has stopped my meds again, I have tried seeing other doctors in the practice and they all treat me like I am only trying to get pain meds to misuse them, that really isnt the case, I just simply want to me able to move arond and live my life outside of my bed and the medication allows me to do that. I have seen online that there is a doctor in my area that has been recommended, but unfortunately I live too far away that they won't see me.

I give up.

V x
V_Eeyore
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:53 pm

Hi there,

What a nightmare for you. Please call CAB as soon as you can and explain the situation to them. I suspect you need some good legal advice so they may be able to tell you about local employment solicitors in your area, who may do an hour consultation for free (some do). During this hour you could ask them to do you a letter outlining why you can't work so many hours but they you are protected under the Equality Act 2010. They can add legal jargon and make it sound scary.

However - in order to do this you will need to tell your boss why you are struggling with so many hours. Has he sacked people before, is that why you are worried? With a long term condition his outlook might well (and should) change. I bet at the moment because he doesn't know you have fibro that he is pushing you, but if he knows about the fibro he may change his tune. And if he doesn't, that is when a good strong letter will come in handy.

Good luck x
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby DonnaMorgan14 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:39 pm

you need to say something, maybe do a print out explaining what Fibro is all about because if your like me when people ask i really don't know where to start so they will understand the severity of it. also get some legal advice so you can be prepared for any awkwardness etc that he/she might throw at you. has your gp refered you to a rhumatologist if not ask them to, this will give you a bit more ground to lessen your hours. good luck xx
DonnaMorgan14
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits