PIP 0 Points Awarded

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIP 0 Points Awarded

Postby katherine244 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:44 pm

o, I'm swinging between resigned and furious.....
Had my Atos medical last week. The assessment lasted less than 30 minutes, mostly because the woman wouldn't listen to a word. She asked me questions, which I tried to answer. However, after the first sentence (sometimes even first word) she moved on to the next question without letting me answer fully.
For example, she asked about my medications. I told her that I take tramadol, amitriptyline and paracetamol on prescription. I started to say that I used to take co-codamol and I also take ibuprofen but she cut me off, saying she can only take into account prescription meds I'm on now. She actually interrupted me and moved onto the next question.
This happened with every single question I was asked.....except for cooking and shopping. She asked if I can cook a simple meal. I said that because of pain and shaking and my hands seizing up I drop things a lot and so I can't. She asked if I could make a sandwich and I answered that I could if I had over half an hour to do so for the same reason, and this came out as 'I can make myself a meal without help'.
She asked about walking. I said first thing in the day I can't walk more than about 10m, towards midday (after two lots of pills) I could walk maybe 20m or so and then when exhaustion and pain get worse in the afternoon/evening it would be less than 10m again. This was reported as I can walk over 200m.
Apparently there is no evidence that I struggle doing the things I wrote on my form.
Oh, and I said I often miss pills if I'm alone as I forget them of if they are not next to me I'm often in too much pain to get them. She asked if I can get them out of the packet. Because I said yes I can it means I have no trouble managing medication.
I'm between furious and resigned as I expected it but it is so inaccurate, and opposite to what I actually managed to say to the woman when she let me speak at all.
What now?
katherine244
UKFM Member

Re: PIP 0 Points Awarded

Postby Montybruno » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Hi it sounds like a mirror version of my capita interview ,the woman gave me also no chance to reply ,she even said I was on the wrong dosage of antidepressants ,she was a nurse .she was in my home for 30 mins and decided I was fit and healthy ,I have fibromyalgia ,an under active thyroid ,type 2 diabetes,depression,prolapsed womb causing incontinence bladder and bowel I.b.s. Also tinnitus constant hissing in my head ,this is related to the thyroid ,also a goitre in neck lumps in my neck and a lumps in my back in constant pain ,and at the moment feeling that my life is totally worthless ,Ido not feel like a woman I am fifty one and I pee myself it's just so embarrassing ,she took none of this into consideration nothing ,how she puts her head on her pillow at night I can not imagine ,I only hope like me you will appeal and fight because I am going to take it all the way getting in touch with my M.P. .and Fightback in Manchester are brill so I wish you luck xxxx
Montybruno
UKFM Newbie

Postby davidomz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:13 pm

Dear god she sounds like a right nasty one! Did you have anyone with you? If so can they vouch for you how ignorant she was?
I have mine in 2wks with ATOS, they are coming to my house! I'm bricking it although have nothing to hide.
Get yourself to CAB with report and put your case across for appeal!
Good luck and gentle hugs xx
davidomz
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kristy Wilson » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:14 pm

Think you should put an appeal in. I've just put my pip claim in and if I have to go for an assessment I will be taking my husband as he will not let anybody stop him mid sentence to tel them exactly how I am.
Kristy Wilson
UKFM Member

Postby daisyp59 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:14 pm

I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I believe you are able to appeal the decision, so that should be your next step I would think. I wish you luck x
daisyp59
UKFM Member

Postby Hellyn » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:18 pm

get yourself onto fightback, they will help.
mandatory reconsideration, get more evidence, keep a diary....all is not lost, and complain!!!!
hellyn :-D
Hellyn
UKFM Member

Postby nickyv32 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:29 pm

I had my assessment and my Dr lied through the complete half hour interview. He was a foreign Dr and had no idea. I failed at the interview and also at my appeal. Feel for you. Hope you have better luck than l did x
nickyv32
UKFM Newbie

Postby Lisalou » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:55 am

Hi... I am a floating support worker, currently off sick and awaiting to be sacked... I too am waiting for my pip assessment.

I am not surprised by your outcome, unfortunately most cases they score incorrectly and pip is refused, you have to appeal and take to tribunal. Get CAB or DISC to help you.

Most cases (all I can think of) that I took to tribunal I won for my clients.

I know that this is the road/fight that I will have to go on and I know how scary and difficult it is.

I wish you all the veru best
Regards
Lisa
Lisalou
UKFM Member

Postby hazely » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:50 am

As for a reconsideration and SAR (subject access records) is a record of everything then have on you. This takes 40 days to arrive from request. Also get in touch with fightback4justice on fb. Put everything in writing you can either post or email that way there is a paper trail if you ring they is no paper trail. hth
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby katherine244 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks all for your replies. I'm going to get a copy of the atos report and get a mandatory reconsideration. But this time I need to find someone to go with me I think.....
katherine244
UKFM Member

Postby drewsmom » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:13 pm

:evil: Hi there,
My husband's just had the same thing happen to him but it was the ESA that he got 0 points for. He has TIA's, peripheral neuropathy, spondilolysthesis of the spine, diabetes and osteoporosis. His mobility is very poor, he has injections for his diabetes, morphine for his pain and gabapentin for the neuropathy and spine disease.
They gave him a big fat zero points and his ESA has now been stopped. I've had to apply for income support (awaiting decision) as we only have our DLA to live on.
ATOS sucks.
drewsmom
UKFM Newbie

Postby Barbwh58 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:59 pm

I had a medical last year with atos for my esa. I requested a home visit and my son who is my carer was present. When the report came back it was full of lies and omitted so many things I appealed and totally ripped the report apart. I commented on every sentence and repeated everything over and over. I also had my son write a letter
supporting all the errors he was not even mentioned in the report as being my carer. My advice to anyone having a medical is to record it either on your phone with a dictation machine or any suitable device you are allowed to do this and it prevents them from lying and changing your answers. I intend to from know on especially when my dla is changed over to pip. I won my appeal and was put in the support group for 2yrs so that will up again for renewall nxt yr. Dont be afraid to point out their errors and changes its only the same as what they do to us and you havent got anythink to loose as they will already of stopped your money.
good luck.
Barbwh58
UKFM Newbie

Postby drewsmom » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:15 pm

Thankyou. Will definitely do that the next time. ;-)
drewsmom
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:43 pm

Barbwh58 wrote:My advice to anyone having a medical is to record it either on your phone with a dictation machine or any suitable device you are allowed to do this and it prevents them from lying and changing your answers. I intend to from know on especially when my dla is changed over to pip. I won my appeal and was put in the support group for 2yrs so that will up again for renewall nxt yr. Dont be afraid to point out their errors and changes its only the same as what they do to us and you havent got anythink to loose as they will already of stopped your money.
good luck.

Wrt to recording an assessment, this must be done by prearrangement with the organisation conducting the session. If it is done without their knowledge, they are allowed to terminate the assessment there and then. They are not obliged to provide equipment and media for the recording, and should you wish to use your own equipment, it must be able to produce 2 copies of the recording on the day, one for your records, and one for the assessor, so that no editing can be done by either party to the assessment. They are also entitled to inspect the equipment prior to the assessment to ensure it meets with the relevant criteria.

Asking to have an assessment recorded can cause a delay in when the assessment is carried out, and in some instances may also have a bearing on the location of where the assessment is carried out, dependant on demand for recording assessments, availability of suitable equipment, media etc.

Just something to bear in mind when asking about having it done.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits