ESA after SSP (NHS employer)

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA after SSP (NHS employer)

Postby paulfoel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks to gissam I didnt know about this.

Wife currently on full pay, but goes to half-pay soon (mid-november). Then SSP runs out about a month later. (basically, she had 5 1/2 months full pay because of previous sickness).

Because she only works 17.5 hours, half pay plus ssp is pretty close to full pay anyway.
What I didnt realise was that you could claim ESA after this on top of half-pay which is excellent news.

We were a bit worried that come mid-dec it would have been half-pay only. Employer has been pushing to use leave - they have a facility where you can use accrued leave (shes been on sick all year so has full years allowance left) so you go back onto fullpay (then back on sick when its used). Useful because you can stay on full pay for longer.

In wifes case though, with SSP/ESA its not going to make much difference in income I dont think.

Tempted come Dec to claim ESA and go with that and keep the leave. Not sure whats the best idea. I guess if she keeps the leave then potentially she can carry over into next year or get paid for it? (But you always seem to lose a bit and only get statutory days).

If she uses say months leave in december, wonder how that will affect ESA? Although its a special thing, officially she'll be off the sick for a month and then back on. (Or is ESA 'linked' if sickness is close together like this?) Would there be any reason why she cant use all SSP, take the month off, then claim ESA or does it all start again?)

Of course, the other advantage of using months leave is its another month income - halfpay only lasts for another 6 months.
paulfoel
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: ESA after SSP (NHS employer)

Postby Janeyliz » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:58 pm

My union suggested that I didn't use leave as it enabled my employer to manipulate the sick absence statistics.
Janeyliz
UKFM Newbie
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:35 am

Re: ESA after SSP (NHS employer)

Postby paulfoel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Janeyliz wrote:My union suggested that I didn't use leave as it enabled my employer to manipulate the sick absence statistics.


Interested to see the union saying that. Fair comment I guess but at the end of day surely its best to do whats best for yourself not what the union want you to do with regards to scoring points?
paulfoel
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: ESA after SSP (NHS employer)

Postby migrembe » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:29 pm

The answer to your comment is No!

I was working as a staff nurse when all hell broke lose in my body after a fall. I had to give up work after a year of sick leave and 3 and half years later i am still not well enough to work.

And the reason for the No is that if you take annual leave you are in effect stating that you are fit for work but on leave which i am guessing is not the case. They should sort out the annual leave when your wife is well enough to go back to work, if that never happens then they should pay it in full, minus tax, etc when she leaves or at the end of the annual leave year. She should speak to the wages office at work.

Hope that makes sense, Beverley x
migrembe
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 am

Re: ESA after SSP (NHS employer)

Postby Paisleyjane » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi, if she is a nurse and still on the off duty, doesn't her sick pay mirror the roster. When she is rostered for nights, we used to get the unsocial hours? Does that make sense? We used to put down the hours as if we worked, I had always just put down basic hours till a colleague asked why as I was loosing out and said not too.
I haven't worked for a year now, was forced out when my years sick pay ran out.
I would be careful about using holidays as DWP could say it not illness as leave and if it runs to more than 6 weeks may not just automatically carry on benefit.
If any doubts ask CAB. Best wishes
Paisleyjane
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Re: ESA after SSP (NHS employer)

Postby paulfoel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:24 pm

migrembe wrote:The answer to your comment is No!

I was working as a staff nurse when all hell broke lose in my body after a fall. I had to give up work after a year of sick leave and 3 and half years later i am still not well enough to work.

And the reason for the No is that if you take annual leave you are in effect stating that you are fit for work but on leave which i am guessing is not the case. They should sort out the annual leave when your wife is well enough to go back to work, if that never happens then they should pay it in full, minus tax, etc when she leaves or at the end of the annual leave year. She should speak to the wages office at work.

Hope that makes sense, Beverley x


Hi Bev - to be fair to the Trust this is all in the sickness policy. Its not taking leave and declaring yourself fit - its taking leave just for pay purposes. Sickness is suspended and then restarts afterwards and its all one sickness instance.

In terms of paying/carrying over, she was ill a few years ago and carried over leave. Ended up losing a fair bit of it - apparently they only have to allow you to carry over your statutory leave (23 days a year?) and not the extra stuff (like 28 days for long service etc) so you do lose a bit if you do it this way.
paulfoel
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: ESA after SSP (NHS employer)

Postby paulfoel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:34 pm

Paisleyjane wrote:Hi, if she is a nurse and still on the off duty, doesn't her sick pay mirror the roster. When she is rostered for nights, we used to get the unsocial hours? Does that make sense? We used to put down the hours as if we worked, I had always just put down basic hours till a colleague asked why as I was loosing out and said not too.
I haven't worked for a year now, was forced out when my years sick pay ran out.
I would be careful about using holidays as DWP could say it not illness as leave and if it runs to more than 6 weeks may not just automatically carry on benefit.
If any doubts ask CAB. Best wishes


You mean get shift allowance if you were down for a night shift even though you werent there? Pretty sure they wouldnt even have her on the rota now though.

See what you mean about using holidays whether it could affect things like SSP and ESA. Is 6 weeks the link period or whatever?
paulfoel
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: ESA after SSP (NHS employer)

Postby migrembe » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:53 pm

When i left, work paid me 6 weeks annual leave at contracted hours of 22 hrs per week has i hadn't taken any annual leave that year the only days i lost were the bank holidays. I was unfit for work then and still are now. So maybe it is different if you leave. I would also check SSP with work as well and see what happens if you your wife takes the annual leave in the middle of her sickness and then goes off sick again. I would be interested to know what they say.
migrembe
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 am

Re: ESA after SSP (NHS employer)

Postby paulfoel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:03 am

How do you claim ESA after SSP has ended?

Is this something you have to do or does employer do it? Looking at gov.uk your employer is supposed to give you an SSP1 form? (Or is it an ESA1 form?) Confused.

Also, mentioned 23rd week of sickness....
paulfoel
UKFM Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:02 pm


Return to DWP, Working & Benefits

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 5 guests

cron