No longer able to work - ESA

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

No longer able to work - ESA

Postby Swindoniangirl » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:24 pm

i am in the process of giving up work as it is very stressful which means that i am constantly in a flare. After recently being admitted to hospital i was told when i returned to work i was told i was on a sickness management plan due to the amount of time i have been off sick. After talking to my doctor about the amount of stress that this was causing me alongside the already stressful working situation he suggested that i think about whether or not i should continue. Following further discussions with my employer i have come to the difficult decision to give up work at Christmas.

My question is will i be able to claim ESA? i am luck enought to already receive Pip but dont think i can manage to live on that alone.

i would appreciate any help.
Swindoniangirl
UKFM Newbie

Re: No longer able to work - ESA

Postby Lizee » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi swindoniangirl,

I'm in the same position as you decision wise. I have 2 small children and currently work in a call centre environment from home. I find that by the time I've been up since 5 looking after my youngest child who isn't yet school age I'm in too much pain and am too exhausted to work. My husband works but we still need another income. I have, after speaking to my dr and reading about ESA on the.gov website decided that I really need to consider leaving work, for the sake of my family. I've applied for pip and I'm waiting on a decision maker to decide what, if any benefit I'm entitled too. I have also read about ESA. It seems to be offered to anyone who is unfit to work, the only stipulation being you need a sick note from your go to get it started. You are then subject to the same assessment process as with pip except you get a basic rate payment whilst you wait. I hope this helps. I found the info by googling ESA and clicking the link for the direct.gov website.

Hope this helps you

Lizee
Xx
Lizee
UKFM Member

Re: No longer able to work - ESA

Postby zappa20 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:44 am

Lizee wrote:Hi swindoniangirl,

I'm in the same position as you decision wise. I have 2 small children and currently work in a call centre environment from home. I find that by the time I've been up since 5 looking after my youngest child who isn't yet school age I'm in too much pain and am too exhausted to work. My husband works but we still need another income. I have, after speaking to my dr and reading about ESA on the.gov website decided that I really need to consider leaving work, for the sake of my family. I've applied for pip and I'm waiting on a decision maker to decide what, if any benefit I'm entitled too. I have also read about ESA. It seems to be offered to anyone who is unfit to work, the only stipulation being you need a sick note from your go to get it started. You are then subject to the same assessment process as with pip except you get a basic rate payment whilst you wait. I hope this helps. I found the info by googling ESA and clicking the link for the direct.gov website.

Hope this helps you

Lizee
Xx

You may already be aware but in case you're not, because you have a working partner unless you get put into what is called the Supprt group on ESA, after 12 months your ESA will be based on a means tested basis and depending on your husbands salary will be reduced or even stopped.

So would advise you to read up on the descriptors which are awarded ESA support group and see if they apply to you. And give enough detail on your ESA50 form that you will be eventually asked to complete.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits