I have my ATOS assessment for PIP in a week

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I have my ATOS assessment for PIP in a week

Postby shoog » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:10 pm

And I am terrified. Does anyone have any words of encouragement? Or any advice? I suffer from really bad anxiety, so this is really freaking me out - particularly due to all the horror stories I've heard about these assessments.
Lauren
shoog
UKFM Member

Re: I have my ATOS assessment for PIP in a week

Postby LibbyWick » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:54 pm

I know how you feel but don't panic. I have terrible anxiety too but I'm pleased to say the lady who came to do my assessment was absolutely lovely. Very understanding and empathetic. Remember to be yourself. Let it all show. I know we don't have good days but at least sometimes we have better days. I was awarded both elements at the higher rate. :goodluck1:
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby Cazham30 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:31 am

My assessment was in a Health Centre & it was a calm atmosphere which helped with the nerves & anxiety. I got a lovely nurse but I reflected afterwards that it's automatic that you want to sound good so it meant I lied about a lot of things as I didn't want to sound like a cripple. She did a physical assessment on me as I was in my wheelchair & advised I couldn't cope with being transferred to another chair so I guess she had to make sure I wasn't lying. My best advice is answer everything as your worst day as that's what you need or they'll put you down as doing something. I could wash my hair once every 10 days with the help from my boyfriend but I actually need daily help with personal care. If I had said that I would have got enhanced Daily Living rate component instead of standard. I got enhanced mobility up to December 2015 when they will reassess me to see what's changed. Good luck! :-)
Cazham30
UKFM Member

Postby aziriphale » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:58 am

I notice you are in glasgow, you don't need to worry they seem to be really nice at that centre I had mine about a month ago just remember even if you are having a good day, answer the questions like you are on a bad day
aziriphale
UKFM Member

Postby shoog » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:41 am

Hi, thank you for your replies. You have helped to calm my fears a bit. I'm claiming based on my fibro, sarcoidosis and anxiety/depression. I think I'm most nervous because I don't "look" ill. I'm not in a wheelchair and I don't have sticks or anything, but I am obviously in a lot of pain when moving around.
Lauren
shoog
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits