Had my PIP Assessment Yesterday - Question About Mobility

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Had my PIP Assessment Yesterday - Question About Mobility

Postby gabby71 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi All

Had my assessment at home yesterday with a really nice man from Capita...
It was better than I expected as I was worried about answering some of the more personal questions but he made it very easy for me :)
I feel that I will only be entitled to the standard rate for care which is fine but have been thinking about the mobility element since he has gone...
I have fibromyalgia and suffer with pain and joint stiffness particularly in my shoulders, hips and knees but also have a problem with my right ankle where I suddenly get what feels like a sprain - this happens anywhere between 4 and 14 times a day on average - I have to walk gingerly as if I put weight on the ankle and the 'sprain' comes on I fall over - I then can't get up unaided becasue of the weakness and pain in my shoulders...
I told him about this and when he asked about how far I can walk I told him that usually on a saturday and sunday I walk to the shop in the next street with my daughter and we link arms (can't use crutches etc due to the shoulders!) its a distance of around 100-150 metres each way and I do this to keep active - I work mon-fri so am less active on the weekends...
I have noticed that you have to be able to walk 'safely and within and acceptable time frame' but he did not ask me how long this walk takes or how it affects me - it takes at least 8-10 mins each way providing we do not have to stop and sit on a wall at any point - my daughter can get to the shop in under 2 minutes so this indicates that my journey isnot done in an acceptable time frame.
Do you think I should query this if I do not get any points for the mobility element? that part of PIP seems to me to be alittle ambiguous...any advice or help welcomed :)

thanks

Gab.x
gabby71
UKFM Member

Re: Had my PIP Assessment Yesterday - Question About Mobilit

Postby Ivy67 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi Gab

These assessments can be very difficult and, sadly, you have to know what to say and what not to say. I read that as you needing help to walk that distance, but I have Fibromyalgia and other problems as well so I understand.

If, as is likely, your claim is turned down first time you can appeal. I always advise people to use the 'worst case scenario' when having any assessment. It is difficult to remember everything as when you aren't so bad you forget many things. I keep a diary when I am at my worst which helps to explain to people when needed.

Because fibro is a fluctuating condition two days are rarely the same, however this is now recognised so always go by when you are at your worst.

It seems like he didn't ask you how far you can walk unaided which is the question he should have asked! :nono: unfortunately they are trained to phrase the questions to catch you out.

This is a really good site for advice: http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/person ... ayment-pip

Good luck x
Ivy67
UKFM Newbie

Postby morette5 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:09 pm

Yes they give the impression of friendliness, however...
If you have stated you can walk a total of 300 meters you will not qualify.
They put this on my assessment, but i only stated i could walk 50 meters each way.
I got 0 for this even though i had said i didn't go anywhere anymore.
I also said i was not able to manage my finances, they put i could manage it. I got 0 here too.

I was turned down completely.

With help for CAB i have provided further proof to contradict their assessment findings and have asked them to RECONSIDER their decision.

Hope you have better luck than me.
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby gabby71 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:42 pm

oh dear - it does seem as though they are purposely trying to diddle people out of money that they are entitled too...worrying :-?
gabby71
UKFM Member

Postby Cazham30 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:11 pm

Did your daughter take you to your assessment & how did you get into the assessment centre & then the room that your assessment took placeiin? All that counts with the assessment. What kind of physical assessment did they do on you? I remained in my wheelchair because sitting on other types of seating can cause me severe pain so I had to try & put my arms above my head, etc. My boyfriend was with me & he answered the questions of the things he helps me with rather than me saying I can't do it. They are trained to catch you out with questions & let's face it it's an automatic reaction to say you can do something even if it's just once in a blue moon such as I did about personal care. I got standard rate daily living when really I should have admitted that I needed someone to do it but I didn't do that until June/July 2014 & I've beeniin this state since February 2013. I know they're very strict about the mobility element so if they do reject you then think about how far you can go on your worst day & say only that! Got my fingers crossed for you!
Cazham30
UKFM Member

Postby gabby71 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Hiya,

I had a home assessment so he wasn't able to watch me walk into an asessment centre, I stood up to do a couple of mobility checks that he asked me to do(try to touch my toes - I got as far as my knees, stand on one leg which I could do but had to use the sofa for balance) and he would have seen how I struggled to get up off the sofa but there was no need for me to walk anywhere - my Mum was at my house so she opened the door and showed him out etc...
I guess I will wait until I get my decision and may decide to appeal if I have scored 0 points for mobility - its the part about 'within a reasonable time frame' that has made me question if I should get points for mobility - as I mentioned it takes about 3times as long for my Daughter to get to the shop if I go with her than if she goes alone!

thanks for the advice :-)

Gab.x
gabby71
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits