PIP Assessment date has finally arrived!!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIP Assessment date has finally arrived!!

Postby Sharplucky2 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Hey people!
So after waiting since april 2014 for an assessment i have finally! Had a letter through today for an appointment at a local physiotherapy centre on the 9th december.
Any advice from anyone who has been to an assessment already would be very helpful?

Im so happy that the appointment has finally come through as my fibro and i have been told i have a labral tear and possibly osteoarthritis at the age of 22. So everything is getting worse with me at the moment. Cant wait to get this assessment over with.
watch this space for updates.
Any advice would be welcome!!
Sharplucky2
UKFM Member

Re: PIP Assessment date has finally arrived!!

Postby tich » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:19 pm

Best advice is drop down some notes about your worst days and how they make you feel how much pain, depression, cant dos. And when you go take someone with you. Also draw a picture and Mark the everyday pain in red, intermittent in Orange, and the sometime in blue doo they can see all the points of pain and what level fingers crossed for 9th small hugs.
tich
UKFM Member

Postby lancashire-lass » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi, I got my PIP appointment 29 weeks after I submitted my paperwork - and my decision letter 2 weeks after my interview!
When you go into your interview remember that the person you are seeing is NOT a doctor - they will most likely be a physiotherapist reading pre-set questions on their computer. They have 1 hour to complete your interview so will be wanting to rattle through the questions and get "yes" and "no" answers off you. Don't let them rush you!
Base all your answers on your worst days and flare-ups and make sure that you give yourself time to answer the questions fully.If you are worried about fibro fog start jotting down notes from today that you can refer to using key words (stabbing, burning). Try and take somebody with you that really knows you and who has seen your condition deteriorate.
The person I saw was really nice and pleasant and really put me at ease - and totally rewrote my medical history and my description of my condition ( she reported that I was missing my right foot but had no problems walking, so no mobility points awarded - actually I am missing part of my right heel, need elbow crutches to walk and can barely walk 15 metres)
Hope I haven't freaked you out but want you to be prepared - will be thinking of you on the 9th :hugs:
Let us know how you get on.
lancashire-lass
UKFM Member

Postby davidomz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:22 pm

I applied for PIP in August, had medical Assessment at beginning of November, lady came to my house (wasn't requested). She was very nice. It happened that my whole right side was numb so it helped explain one of my conditions. I got a letter yesterday saying I'm entitled to enhanced rate of both parts and backdated to application date.
I had copies of all medical letters that I'd recieved from hospital etc, list of all your medications. If you have any appliances etc you use, take them or get pictures of them all. Basically they go over everything in form and they want to know how your day goes, what you do, how it affects you etc. who helps you, how do you cope with your condition etc.
Mine was ATOS
Good luck and don't worry, it's not as bad as folk make out (in my experience)
Xx
davidomz
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sharplucky2 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:05 pm

Thank you so much guys. My fiancé is coming with me as hes the one who helps me every day. So nervous for the assessment as ive heard mixed reviews. I have taken all your advice on board and have started some notes already. I went to my gp the other week and started getting the most recent consultant letters and letters about my condition so ive got them ready to go. Also seeing an orthopaedic surgeon on monday so going to ask if he could jot down a few things about my condition also.
Its so bad how anxious they make you feel. Good luck to anyone who is waiting to hear back. I will let you know ASAP how it all goes.
Sharplucky2
UKFM Member

Postby Sharplucky2 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Had my assessment today the lady was so nice basically asked me about my condition what my meds are what my daily routeen is how much assistants i need and also asked me to repeat 3 words then later asked me to repeat then again, and asked me some maths problems which my brain wasnt great with. Then had to do a small physical assessment which was mainly done sat down as i wasnt able to stand.
She said we should hear within the next 4 weeks. So fingers crossed all goes well.
Sharplucky2
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits