re-deployment

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

re-deployment

Postby sarahsnow » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Hi all!!
I am new to this site and only just been diagnosed with fm following good knows how many tests and living in limbo for over a year...thinking god knows what!!!!! Thru work I have been referred to the oh having been off work for about 18mths....they have said that I need to be redeployed as my current position as a carer is a no go....but I am not sure what they expect me to do. I have 2 children..8yr with additional needs and a 3yr which I can struggle with now without working...its fun when you get stuck on the floor with them!!!!! I know that I cannot cope with a full time job now but I also find that my driving distances can now be limited depending on how I feel. In fact I rarely go further than about 5 miles from home just incase my legs go silly!!! They have sent me some forms to fill in but I have no clue what to put on them when they ask about my disability.....any help or advice gratefully received.....thank you!!!!!
sarahsnow
UKFM Member

Re: re-deployment

Postby nic3 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi, I am nearly in the same position as you. I have fibro for approx 18 years. I work part time in a busy shop. My hours have slowly been cut as I am unable to do them.
I am off sick at moment and so far it will have been 9 week.
I am unable to stand, which is what I do at work.
I am not sure what they will say when I go back.
It is a night made, the stress is unbearable.
I don't know what to do.
nic3
UKFM Newbie

Postby sarahsnow » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:50 pm

nic3.....I work for the local council but I just can't see how they are goin to appreciate the limitations I now have no matter where they want to put me instead. Like you, I am unable to stand for any length of time, sit for too long, write legible, drive any distance yet alone answer the phone and try too hold a conversation someone. I've also discovered that I can't use my keyboard for very long at home so confuses office work abit!!!!
sarahsnow
UKFM Member

Postby nic3 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi Sara with the way our lives are turning out with all the pain, confusion, stamina, etc what jobs are there for us to do. It is scary.
nic3
UKFM Newbie

Postby becbob » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:20 pm

I was in the same boat as you but after a lot of consideration I decided to leave my job. I felt that I just couldn't go on anymore. My kids come first and the stress of trying to work or constantly being off sick was too great.
I gave up work a few weeks ago. I have applied for PIP and ESA. Also I applied for a blue badge and I had the assessment for that last week. I also phoned my local adult social services and said I couldn't manage in the home when alone so they sent out a lovely Occupational therapist who is getting me equipment to help me out.
Try to think about the possibility of giving up work. Think about the pros and cons of working vs not working. It is heart breaking but I know that it was the right choice for me. It was an extremely difficult choice. I am now very glad I have because it has taken a huge amount of stress off me. I am no better physically but I am mentally better off.
I hope at some point in the future I will be able to return back to work. I am only 38 so I'm trying to be positive.
This illness is life changing. I have been diagnosed just over a year now and I'm still figuring it all out. I don't think I ever will.
I wish you luck and hope you find a happy medium too.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby nic3 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:47 am

Hi becbob, thanks for your input it is very helpful.
nic3
UKFM Newbie

Postby sarahsnow » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi becbob!! I already claim esa as have been off work for so long. I am seriously considering not working mainly because it stress I dont need and like most fm sufferers day to day tasks can often mean big probs!!! I am still waiting for pip assessment appt...now been referred thru dwp for medical. This is adding to stress cause I cant see what to do.
sarahsnow
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi Sarah,

My mind is a bit (really) scrambled at mo but I have a few questions (I work in HR):

What size is your council? You don't have to say where but just an idea of size would be useful in terms of thinking about other options.

Have you actually seen Occ Health yet?

What sort of questions are they asking on your form in relation to disability?

How far did you drive to work before off sick? Do they have other sites nearer you?

Sorry for all those! but if you answer them I can try and help you :)
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby sarahsnow » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:24 am

Zia2014.....thank you for those questions..the council I work for is massive and the nearest bit is 10miles away. Before I went off sick I used to drive over 100miles aday because I was a home carer. I am now limited to about 10miles in total before my clutch leg(mainly) starts playing silly buggars!!!!
I have had the meeting with my manager and to be honest it was a waste of time. If I am to be redeplyed I will effectively be starting from scratch again which will mean a probationary period....which as I piinted out what happens if I am unable get there or something goes wrong and I am off again I will be sacked. Luckily my managers friend has fm so she understood what I was trying to tell her (noggin not working properly that day!!!) She saw the state of my writing on what bit of form I did fill in and said that wasnt really acceptable..looked like a spider had crwaled across it!!!!! She asked me how I get on at home which as we all know is more often than not a struggle which I told her and also explained that I am unable to sit for prolonged periods of time or stand so tend to be up an down like a yoyo!! They would also be expecting me to work 25hrs a week straight off which I said I may or maynot be able to do and if I couldnt what would happen. I am also unable to type for very long before my hands go dead!! I think they are goin to retire me on health grounds.
sarahsnow
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi Sarah,

Okay so if it's massive that bodes well, there will be a lot more places to get redeployed into and so I would suggest your first port of call is the council's own job's board. See whether there is anything you are interested in. As a council they will have a policy I would imagine a specific one on redeployment or if not one about sickness with a section in it. Look at any jobs you might be keen on doing and see if they fit your skill set, or whether you may need training. If they are a completely different discipline and you need a specific degree for it then you should probably not worry about those one ;-) but if you would need a little bit of training or a small qualification (say an IT one, can't think off the top of my head) then add that to your list of possibles. The council should provide you with some training in order to be able to change areas although there are limits, but as a big council they will have the resources to do that.

I would say that you are unable to drive more than 10 miles on your form. You can discuss that with OH when you meet with them.

Do you have a trade union rep? If not it will be worth its weight, you can explain the situ to them and join before your first payment (or should be able to anyway), I'd imagine it's Unite for you. They really do come into their own in situs like this.

They may say 25 hours but you are still entitled to a phased return, so I would get a copy of the sickness policy as well as the redeployment if they have one, and check what it says about a phased return. After 18 months you absolutely must give you a PR (I mean it's not legally binding but it's ridiculous to expect you to come back on 25 hours straight away so try and insist on a PR).

Yeah a meeting with a manager is not the same as with OH or a union. They don't usually know their stuff as much and certainly are not medically trained. Wait to make any decision on retiring etc until you've met with OH at least and maybe the TU as well.

And let me know if you have any questions, either on here or by PM.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby sarahsnow » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi zia2014!!! Thats helpful advice...I thought I was entitled to a phased return...as I suggested doin a tues to start with when my daughter is at pre school...but she sorted of pooh-poohed it!!! I would have to do some training and they said that I would be on the list as cat1 for 12 weeks and in that time I could be learning about bussiness support but not within homefirst cause it works different from the other departments but if I hadnt got another job in that time I have no idea what happens!!! I suspect I shall have to go back to oh again to see what they say.
sarahsnow
UKFM Member

Postby sarahsnow » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:40 pm

I had been aplying for other jobs while ive been off but got told to stop.....theres nothing on their site that I can do at the mo...I check atleast 1x week!!!
sarahsnow
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:02 pm

Righto well that is why you really need to speak to Occ Health, your manager is trying to get you back to work the wrong way (it's obvious after 18 months you won't just walk back in!!).

Btw if you are applying as an internal candidate that is a bit different from applying as part of redeployment on health grounds, in the sense that they can turn you down as not meeting the essential criteria (for the former) but would have more of an obligation (well not exactly but the wrong word has scarpered my brain) with the latter. With Occ Health support as well you would be in a stronger position to ask for a role within X department with just a bit of training, whereas as 'just' an internal candidate there isn't the same moral push for them.

I'm guessing Cat1 is part of your absence/redeployment policy, so I would suggest you give that a thorough read if you haven't already.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:03 pm

Oh plus their policy might include a ringfencing of possible roles for you before they are advertised, which means that you may not be seeing all the roles available and I would start by asking your HR department whether you are on their list for ringfenced posts (or for those who are 'at risk') and what they are.

Might not be quite the same in councils but worth asking.
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby sarahsnow » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:27 pm

Zia2014..I hoping to get sent back to oh...so I can put my case forward so to speak!!! Not heard anythin from them since tues thought I might of done. Thank you very much for your advice. Its been helpful. :-)
sarahsnow
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits