ESA stopped without any warning

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ESA stopped without any warning

Postby Minilady » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:25 pm

I have been on ESA for fibro and various other health issues. I got an appointment for a medical in September but I was ill with a virus and couldn't attend at that time. I rang them up and was told they'd send a form so I could explan my reasons for not attending and they'd then send me another appointment. I promptly filled it in and returned it but didn't hear anything until a letter arrived last week. My ESA has been stopped. No clear explanation, no notice, nothing. Has anyone else been in a similiar situation? Any info would be great. Thanks :-o
Minilady
UKFM Member

Re: ESA stopped without any warning

Postby rosie55 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:41 pm

It happened to a friend of mine to and he rang them up to say he was appealing against the reasons for there decision
rosie55
UKFM Newbie

Postby zoomie » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Look on Facebook for the group fightback, when you phone the esa make it known that you have contacted them, they hold a lot of clout in getting unfair decisions overturned.
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby Minilady » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Many thanks. I will take a look at the facebook group!
Minilady
UKFM Member

Postby Cazham30 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Did you send the form back in one of their pre-paid envelopes by any chance? My sick certificates went missing in the post & they stopped my ESA. Since then everything has been posted 'Signed For' & I keep a copy of anything sent as proof incase it goes "missing" after it's been signed for or it's taken to a local Jobcentre & copied then stamped to say it's the original& hhanded over. I would start with finding out what happened to your form. Was it sent by the Jobcentre or Atos? Call them & hopefully it can be tracked down. Good luck!
Cazham30
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:54 am

It seems to pretty routine practice with the DWP to completely stop ESA payments if someone doesn't turn up for an assessment and can take a bit of time to sort out.

When someone doesn't turn up for an assessment, ATOS alert the DWP who send you out a form asking you to explain your reasons for not going. Your returned explanation is then normally passed to a Decision Maker within the DWP, who basically gets to decide whether your explanation seems credible or not. Did you give enough info and any info from your GP confirming your inability to attend, as it would have helped your case.

It's then up to the DM whether to accept your reasons and restart your ESA , while getting you a new assessment date, or to decide against your reasons. In which case you then have to lodge an appeal to overturn this decision, which can take several months, during which time you won't receive any further ESA payments, until you attend a further assessment. Not even if you close your claim and start a new one.

I also think you need to track down the form you returned and see whether it has been received, and if so what stage it is at with the Decision Maker.

It's a pretty unfair process, as so e people arrive for their appointments, to be told on the day , unfortunately it's been cancelled as they're short staffed, yet if someone misses their appointment it's a different story. For anyone else with An ESA assessment due, even if feeling really ill on the day, it's best to get there somehow or other to avoid this situation happening, as it can turn into a minefield to fix.

It might be an idea to contact CAB and enlist their help, as I think they can get through to the DWP on a direct number and could phone on your behalf . And If you start to experience problems getting info from the DWP, involve your local MP, as he /she can usually cut through the red tape and get you some answers, if they're any good.

Hope things work out ok.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Minilady » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Great help. many thanks zappa 20. I am now on the case.
Minilady
UKFM Member

Postby Minilady » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:04 pm

Cazham30. Yes my letter was in a pre paid envelope. I never thought I'd need to post it special delivery etc. it came from the job centre as far as I'm aware. Has now gone to Mandatory Reconsideration so all I can do is wait. Am planning to get in with the CAB in the meantime for further advice/assistance. Thanks for your reply. :-)
Minilady
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits