1st PIP appointment nxt Monday. .any advice? !

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

1st PIP appointment nxt Monday. .any advice? !

Postby natmac73 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:58 am

Hey everybody. ...well I have my 1st pip appointment next week has anyone any advice for me....soooo nervous x
natmac73
UKFM Member

Re: 1st PIP appointment nxt Monday. .any advice? !

Postby jackiealli » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Me too Nat on Thursday the only thing I know to expect is to be turned down and have to appeal. Ditto Nat's message any advice would be fab. Good luck for Monday xoxoxo
jackiealli
UKFM Newbie

Postby natmac73 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:24 pm

Hey...you too Jackie
As if we don't have enough stress to cope with. ...x
natmac73
UKFM Member

Postby lancashire-lass » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi, I got my PIP appointment 29 weeks after I submitted my paperwork - and my decision letter 2 weeks after my interview!
When you go into your interview remember that the person you are seeing is NOT a doctor - they will most likely be a physiotherapist reading pre-set questions on their computer. They have 1 hour to complete your interview so will be wanting to rattle through the questions and get "yes" and "no" answers off you. Don't let them rush you!
Base all your answers on your worst days and flare-ups and make sure that you give yourself time to answer the questions fully.If you are worried about fibro fog start jotting down notes from today that you can refer to using key words (stabbing, burning). Try and take somebody with you that really knows you and who has seen your condition deteriorate.
The person I saw was really nice and pleasant and really put me at ease - and totally rewrote my medical history and my description of my condition ( she reported that I was missing my right foot but had no problems walking, so no mobility points awarded - actually I am missing part of my right heel, need elbow crutches to walk and can barely walk 15 metres)
Hope I haven't freaked you out but want you to be prepared - will be thinking of you :hugs:
Let us know how you get on.
lancashire-lass
UKFM Member

Postby LibbyWick » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:56 pm

The lady who did my assessment was a SRN and lovely. She put me at ease and was very helpful in converting my foggy drivel into the appropriate wording. I got my letter confirming PIP payments about 6 weeks after. My daughter has recently been diagnosed and her PIP assessment yesterday, again the lady was very pleasant although she did point out she only had 45 mins to get the assessment done. My assessor spend 2 hours with me. I was completely exhausted by the time she'd done. As others have said try to have someone who knows you well with you. They can prompt you and perhaps explain better and remind you of things. One piece of specific advice - they always ask about the "good days". As far as I can see no one with FM ever has a "good" day. We have bad days and better days, so I'd stress that point.
If you are horribly stressed and anxious, remember that's part of your condition not something you need to try to cover up during the assessment. :goodluck2:
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits