WTC/CTC if i give up work??

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

WTC/CTC if i give up work??

Postby TNK* » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:57 pm

There may be a possibility i will have to give up work.

I currently work in a restaurant as front of house staff which means waiting on, lost of walking and carrying stuff, I am in agony every evening at the end of each shift, and that is after taking my meds, but then also in the morning i can barely walk and it takes a good couple of hours before the plantar pin disappears enough for me to walk "normally" but still a lot of pain.

So anyway, I was sondering if i rang WTC to let them know i was not working anymore, bearing in mind hubby works full time and i get the disability element of TCs, would they review my claim straight away or would i have to wait until the end of the financial year??

As Tax credits are based on the previous years income, but surely if i was to go to nil income they wouldnt expect us to do without my wage and then also keep us on the rate we are on which takes into account my wage??

Sorry if i dont make any sense, im just typing as i think, ill clarify anything if i need to x
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes When You're Fast Asleep ºOº

Jo xx
TNK*
UKFM Member

Re: WTC/CTC if i give up work??

Postby dazzleship » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:33 pm

hi I don't know anything about claiming benefits or tax credits so I can't help with that I'm afraid, but is there a possibility of changing to a different role at the restaurant that wouldn't be as phyically demanding for you?

so rather than giving up work you could still continue to work? just a thought.

good luck whatever though.
dazzleship
dazzleship
UKFM Member

Postby hazely » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:53 pm

hi I think they would reassess it now so that you are not overpaid and owe them in the future.
hazely
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:05 am

You'd bel best asking for a benefit advisor to do a theoretical benefits assessment for you before stopping work I think. I'm not 100% on tax credits as never been eligible for them , but I seem to remember reading they're quite generous to people working with disabilities, so you could potentially lose a bigger sum than you might envisage.

You could also get them to check out whether your change in income would mean your family is eligible for increased HB if applicable, and there is also the possibility of claiming ESA.

If it's any help there are 2 posters on the MSE forum - Blondebubbles and Icequeen99 who work for HMRC tax credits who are very helpful and could explain all the ins and outs if you post a thread in the Benefits and Tax Credits section.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Cazham30 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:10 pm

If your husband works more than 24 hours then you should be entitled to claim contributions-based ESA if you stop working & if you rent Housing Benefit from your local council. I would contact the charity Turn2Us to discuss about benefit entitlement & they should be able to tell you how losing your wage will change WTC. Good luck!
Cazham30
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits