PIP still refused at appeal.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIP still refused at appeal.

Postby Diane64 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:19 am

Hi there,
After my assessment in Oct I received 0 points, this I appealed and still received 0 points!! I know I have the right to take it to a tribunal but im not prepared to go through all that stress and embarrassment (just yet) of trying to show them how much ill I am and feel. if telling them all my "issues" relating to Fibro, showing them all my meds and not being able to complete their physical tasks was enough for them and still receive 0 points I must be in great health then eh?

I have been made to feel like Ive been trying to commit benefit fraud, I was not looking to give up work completely but at least look for a job with less hours ( start shift at 11am to 11.30am next day) or reduce hours where I work. What qualifications do any of these people in the system have to determine how ill or not I am? the assessor even stated that I took a phonecall from my son and showed no communication or cognitive impairment.. I give up and maybe need to stop thinking I am as ill as I and my Gp think I am! hmmmm..x
Diane64
UKFM Member

Re: PIP still refused at appeal.

Postby Crazybear » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:43 am

The last two times i was 'assessed' was not by a Doctor but by a Registered Nurse, and both times i failed my assessment.
The things i read and hear about these assessments are firstly, never go in alone. Secondly record the interview.
These two things seem to put the assessor on the back foot.
Remember they get paid to keep you off benefits.
Its a great system if your an alcoholic or junkie, but not if you have pain coursing throughout your body 24/7.
Crazybear
UKFM Newbie

Postby loverliesgal » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:08 am

I went through all this with DLA last year, the judge in the appeal decided that because I drove myself to the court and that I knitted that there was nothing wrong with me and I wasn't entitled to care. I didn't go for the further appeal. A month later I phoned up and asked if I could place a new claim because my symptoms are worse and that they included needing help several times overnight. Because I still couldn't claim pip, they sent me out a DLA form for a change in circumstances, and somehow I was given highest rate care for two years, I know that means the end of this year I risk losing it all again, I am now in ESA support group, but again I think that runs out in 2017. I am not getting better. Work out how many times you are awake overnight, how many times you have to wake up your husband to move you out of a spasm, how many times he has to help you change your night clothes or help you to the bathroom. and list them all, don't be bashful, write down the times you haven't made it to the bathroom because your bladder has decided NOW with out letting you have at least a bit of a chance of getting there. Leave nothing out, don't give up, also, EVERY letter you have from hospital and doctors, every appointment you have for hospital or doctors, photocopy them and put them in with your claim, and finally get Occupational Health involved from social services. That was the hardest step for me, but my home is now adapted for me and although in the beginning I didn't use my stair lift much, its a life line now, Idon't need to stay upstairs on a really bad day, I can come downstairs. the wet room is brilliant, although I miss my bath more and more every day, but a shower is much better and more hygienic on my fast bladder slow leg days. The reinstatement of my outdoor toilet was the best of all, even on these ice cold days I can get there quicker than the stair lift can get me upstairs. Its not totally outside, in a lean to on the side of the house, but icy cold in winter. All these adaptations although inconvenient to husband, have allowed me a little independence and I think got me care component of DLA
Good luck with your next step
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:22 am

Too true Crazybear, I chose not to take anyone with me for the sheer embarrassment factor of discussing "issues", it was bad enough having to talk to a stranger never mind having someone close to me hear it. That is one of the reasons I wont go through a tribunal, surely what Gp, physiotherapist, occupational therapist all giving a report, discussing how it affects me on a daily basis and all the meds im on would be enough to satisfy them, instead I felt humiliated and not believed.

I pay into the benefit system enough to be able to feel and be treated with a bit of dignity, maybe if I try again I will go unwashed, take all my meds at once and sit babbling a load of pump!! lol..
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:25 am

Thank you for your reply Loverliesgal and taking the time to do so, I may in the future reapply, hopefully when they get their act together and realise fibro is real and debilitating .Doubt it tho!!..take care and thanks.
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:39 am

I am sorry you weren't successful, but it probably because you work.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Diane64 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:22 pm

You are probably right there, but pip is not means tested and anyone can claim it working or not, I claimed it so I could reduce my working hours. I know people that work full time and receive pip and have just as much responsibility if not more than me.
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:29 pm

Dear Diane,

I did work until about 4 years ago when i had a bad fall down stairs at home, which sent the Fibromyalgia spiralling out of control and i haven't really recovered since then, although i do get the odd good day, they are normally bad and worse than bad. I was a staff nurse and i worked 3 days a week on a very busy ward, i was exhausted all the time, but i loved my job and it brought in just enough money to manage on, now i live on ESA support and DLA. While i was working i would never have thought of applying for DLA as i didn't think i was disabled, now that's a very different story. I now spend most of my days in bed or on the sofa but i am not giving up the fight of trying to get some sort of life back for myself.

Maybe you should reduce your hours as you apply for the appeal or go off sick or something?

Good luck Beverley xx
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:58 am

Hi,

I don't know whether I can post this, but there is a pro bono agency called FightBackUK. They will fill in forms and represent you for appeals. The ladies that run it are attorney's and do it all because they know the system is broken thanks to IDS (should be IBS)!!!! Anyway, try contacting them and seeing if there is anything that they could do to help.

:goodluck2:
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:31 pm

No probs with mentioning Fightback Queenie, they have helped quite a few people thru the messes that are the benefits and appeals systems. I'm not sure if the services they do provide are on a pro bono basis tho as I have come across a number of people who have said that Fightback have taken a percentage of the backdated payment amounts that clients have been awarded to go towards the services the client has utilised, something that needs clarifying but seems to be somewhat difficult to find info about.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Diane64 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi all, thanks for the replies, I was refused at appeal and next step is tribunal, but not going to go through with it, I would rather just not bother with the stress at the minute ( got too much going on without adding to it all), I don't want to go on the sick as I don't think I am ill enough, but I did think I was ill enough to claim pip to be able then to reduce my working hours, not give up all together..

I go to work because I have to financially, yes I do love my job, but I am in pain everyday but not enough to keep me housebound. pretty much a vicious circle, I do not wish to rely on benefits, just a helping hand to make life a wee bit bearable and happier, ive been told twice by the benefit system I am not unwell enough, so I wont embarrass myself anymore trying to convince them that I am.. :-?
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby becbob » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:43 am

I have used fightback and they were brilliant. I had a lady fill in my ESA form out. She did it over the phone and then sent the form for me to sign and send. I was asked to pay a small donation to cover their costs. It wasn't expensive so I gladly paid it. I am a member on their facebook page and I can see the kind of help they give every day. Some of them are volunteering for over 60+ hours a week. They do not get paid for doing this. They do this because they can clearly see that the governmentare treating people so badly. The fee I paid was to cover all the ink, envelopes, stamps, phonecalls etc. They run an office and have overheads that obviously needs paying for. They rely on donations from those they help. I have never heard of them asking for a percentage of any back pay. It is entirely up to you how much you donate. They really are worth their weight in gold. Also Fightback have a lot of notes and info on applying for PIP and ESA. They provide a forum too with people giving you extra support and to answer questions.

Anyone who is applying for PIP or ESA please take a look at their site. Anyone whose been refused benefits please take a look. They can give you lots of assistance and guidance. Also if you are going to a tribunal please contact Fightback. They also have lots of info about preparing for a tribunal. They even attend meetings with you if you live near to them and pay for them to get there and back.

Good luck all those that are in the process of claiming or thinking of claiming. With Fightback the whole process can seem a bit less daunting.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits