anyone had a PIP tribunal appeal?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

anyone had a PIP tribunal appeal?

Postby MPSGuy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Has anyone had a PIP tribunal? How long did you have to wait and did you win?

My claim was rejected, they ignored my application and medical evidence. Instead they believed the biased and untrue assessment report which doesn't accurately represent my daily difficulties at all. I asked for a reconsideration and they rejected that almost instantly. :(

Now my only option is to go to tribunal appeal. I'm told you have more chance of winning if you attend in person to the courts but I don't think I will be able to cope with that. I'm in the process of getting even more medical evidence to support my claim and the CAB are going to represent me so hopefully that will be enough.

I hope it isn't a long wait, I could really use the money as I'm relying on family for support now. :oops:
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Re: anyone had a PIP tribunal appeal?

Postby Trish140363 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi hun...

I knew someone that went to tribunal and lost that too... its no fun either (he said)
I got awarded it and don't know what I'd of Done if I was turned down. Keep fighting and hopefully it will pay off...

just a quick question.. did you take someone to the assessment with you? And do you work? Xx
Trish140363
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Trish140363 wrote:Hi hun...

I knew someone that went to tribunal and lost that too... its no fun either (he said)
I got awarded it and don't know what I'd of Done if I was turned down. Keep fighting and hopefully it will pay off...

just a quick question.. did you take someone to the assessment with you? And do you work? Xx

I have no choice but to fight it. Well I was told I could reapply with new medical evidence but then there is no reason why they wouldn't just turn me down again is there? and won't get any back dated payment for all the time I have been waiting already.

My mum came to my assessment with me as I struggle to get out of the house alone these days. She agreed the report the assessor wrote was not accurate. I don't work but I would like to soon, even if it is just a couple of hours a week volunteering.

I've heard the tribunals can be lucky dip. Some people get a understanding and sympathetic judge and others are not so lucky. I've heard some can be quite mean even though they are supposed to be independent and unbiased.
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby Lindar » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:40 pm

I had my PIP appeal a few weeks ago. I had been waiting since August 2014. I had been awarded 7 points for care and 4 for mobility the first time round. The mandatory reconsideration took no notice of the new evidence I supplied or my claims that the initial assessment was incorrect in many places.

My appeal would have been even longer coming around as the DWP had asked for more time but it was turned down on the grounds that I had initially applied in January 2014.

My local welfare rights office supported me in completing the appeal request and also on the the day of the tribunal. It took about 45 minutes of questioning and then a wait of about 20 minutes to get a decision. I was awarded 11 points each for both care and mobility and would probably have got 12 points for mobility if I had taken my partner with me.

I don't know how successful you would be without attending as they never asked my representative anything and some of the questions were silly ones aimed at catching me out if I was lying. For instance I said I had to change to an automatic car and was asked why. I explained that my left side was very weak and I was unable to cope with changing gear. A few questions later I was asked how I managed the hand brake, which on an automatic is just a button. I am still waiting for a payment or a letter to say I am getting a payment but I was told it could be up to another 8 weeks!

Good luck with your appeal.
Lindar
UKFM Newbie

Postby Cjalex » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi I'm in exactly same boat the assessor completely lied about what was said and my appeal was refused before they even recieved my evidence !! Got to go to court now I was so angry and still am how can they play down and dam right lie about our difficulties me and my family are going through hell because off this stupid condition and they are just making it worse x I even tried to committee suicide as we have no money 4 kids and I can't cope with the feeling of quilt that I have put us in this position !! We can't afford clothes shoes for our kids and we get a budget of £50 for 6 of us for food !! I don't know we're to turn now for support it's silly xx makes me angry and even more so when I read they are doing it to loads of us x I hope you get your answer you need hun xx feeling your pain xxx
Cjalex
UKFM Member

Postby MPSGuy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:52 pm

Cjalex wrote:Hi I'm in exactly same boat the assessor completely lied about what was said and my appeal was refused before they even recieved my evidence !! Got to go to court now I was so angry and still am how can they play down and dam right lie about our difficulties me and my family are going through hell because off this stupid condition and they are just making it worse x I even tried to committee suicide as we have no money 4 kids and I can't cope with the feeling of quilt that I have put us in this position !! We can't afford clothes shoes for our kids and we get a budget of £50 for 6 of us for food !! I don't know we're to turn now for support it's silly xx makes me angry and even more so when I read they are doing it to loads of us x I hope you get your answer you need hun xx feeling your pain xxx

Sorry to hear that :(

This is just how they operate I think. they rejected my reconsideration appeal before I even submitted the extra evidence too. I also wrote a long detailed letter and I'm certain they never bothered to read it.

I just hope it doesn't take too long. Its about 6 months since my application already. I think they delay deliberately as they hope people will give up or die of starvation before they win the appeal!
MPSGuy
UKFM Member

Postby funeral007 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:14 pm

I put my PIP claim in in Nov 2013, had assessment with ATOS in July 2014 and was awarded high rate care component and lower rate mobility. I asked for a reconsideration and was turned Dow some I took my case to the Tribunal which was herd in Jan of this year. Tribunal awarded me full Mobility rate. I was over the moon too. :-). You have to percivere!
funeral007
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits