DLA/PIP

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

DLA/PIP

Postby djclall » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I need some advice with regards to my current claim for DLA. I am currently receiving middle rate care and high rate mobility and my award is due for renewal in September of this year. I have a friend that put a claim in for PIP last January, for a completely different illness (crohns), and she heard nothing until she wrote to our local MP in November. It was only then that she got an appointment for a medical in December.Her application was successful and she was awarded both components at enhanced rate less than 2 weeks later.

Because of her situation and the length of time that she had to wait, i am now worried about my situation. I am not sure what to do for the best. Wait until nearer the time or phone soon to see when i can claim for PIP. I remember reading somewhere (but can't remember where, fibro fog) that if a persons DLA claim is up before October 2015, they can still claim under the DLA regulations. After October 2015 thy have to claim PIP.

Can anyone help please?. Going out of my mind :crazy: Thank you. xx
djclall
UKFM Member

Re: DLA/PIP

Postby Flippy22 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:58 pm

I think you wait for them to invite you to claim PIP and then your DLA remains in payment until they reach a decision on your PIP.
Flippy22
UKFM Member

Postby rubes » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:28 pm

A Lady came from the DWP to help me fill my forms in, very nice and understanding.
She told me I would stay on DLA then just be moved over to PIP when it comes into my area.
Hope this helps, she works for DWP so I would think she would know.
rubes
UKFM Member

Postby morette5 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:56 am

I first applied for DLA in 2012/3 and was turned down.
I spent next 10 months asleep and in brain fog totally useless.
Applied for PIP Jan 2014, turned down in Nov 2014.
Applied for reconsideration Turned down in march 2015.
Now forced to tribunal.
They say i can walk 200 mtrs, the fact i have been completely floored by and have hardly left my house in 3 yrs due to fibro is irrelevant.
Playing memory trip up games with me, telling me i said this then i said that.
They can lie and do on the forms. They know we have difficulty remembering events.
What they don't realise is that having not walked anywhere in three years, recalling will use reference from the days when you could walk. Missing the whole point.
Good luck with the games, they are not on your side.
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:23 pm

My daughter is on DLA, she received a letter stating that she will have to move to PIP when her review (September) comes up. The point of the letter was to inform her that her benefits will NOT be cut off, but would continue until that time a decision had been made in regards to her PIP.

I did get PIP, but it took quiet a while, so just be patient. You can call and apply early, but if for some reason you are denied, then your DLA will also stop. I am waiting for my daughters review letter before we begin to apply for anything else, to be on the safe side.

I am also in an ATOS area, but applied while I was living in a Capita area. I don't know if waiting times are reduced by much. The lady that saw me was a bit aggressive, and when I broke into tears when she asked how my condition affected my daily living, she plowed on even though I couldn't talk.

I think it is pot luck who you get, how long your wait is, and whether they think you're sick enough. A good tip is, tell about your worst day....when they ask about your abilities, always recall the worst day you have had. It is not lying, it is not pulling one over, it is making sure that on that "worst day," you have income to pay for food and housing. You are making sure you are financially secure for your family.

My worst day is bed ridden. My worst daily activity was opening the oven and using my bare hands to pull out a roast that had been cooking for 6 hours. My worst experience, is having my disabled daughter be my carer. This condition leaves a disaster area in our lives, and we have to make sure we are covered when that disaster hits.

Good luck. Chin up. We are all here for you.

xxx
xxxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby djclall » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:19 am

Thank you so much for the replies. Each of you has put my mind at rest somewhat. I think i will wait to see what happens. Knowing my luck, i will phone them up and then my DLA will stop. What's the saying?. 'Let sleeping dogs lie'??.

Today i have had a terrible day pain wise. I had to get dressed (a rareity), go to the doctors just to be told off. I don't tend to go out much and prefer not to see my GP as everything that i am concerned about is fibro related. So when went today i took a list with me that i have been doing the last couple of days so that i would remember everything. He told me after i mentioned the 4th concern he replied with "you should have made a double appointment as it's not fair on the other patients". Funny thing is, i was the last appointment of the day for him and the waiting room was empty!!!. Anyway, he has sent me to the hospital for blood tests to check for thyroid
, arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Oh well. What will be will be.

But if this is the case, would that help my claim for PIP??. I am trying not to think of it but it's very hard not to know of any certainty for the future finances. Good luck to all with all going through this process.

Soft hugs. xx
djclall
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:56 am

Djclall,

Make sure you get copies of ALL of your medical notes including tests and results. I did when I applied for my ESA and I didn't have a interview I was put straight into support. I also made sure that I did the same for PIP, and even though I did have a medical, which I should have fought due to depression, I did get low rate daily and mobility. Any and all medical notes that back up what you have to say on the forms is always good. Photocopy your form before sending it back so you know what is written, what evidence you gave, and the wording you used, they can try to trip you up. It is also a good idea in case it gets "lost."

Highlighting wording in your medical records that backs up your claims is also a good idea so the reviewer knows exactly where to go in reference to each point. (FightbackUK is a great site that gives you all the information you need to fill the forms out, plus templates of letters to give to your doctor to fill in to back up your claim.

Good Luck.

xxx
"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Postby djclall » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Queenie,

Thank you for the info. I have photocopied all of my previous claims for DLA and got them safe. I have had reports from my consultant at the hospital although i have now been discharged from his clinic/care and they are also photocopied and safe. Do you think it may be an idea if i also take my appointment letters from the hospital if i do have a medical?. My son, who is 20, has Ulcerative Colitus and applied for PIP last April. He has only just had his medical with ATOS and is now awaiting a decision. He done a detailed report on his worst day experience and also included how his illness affects him ie;- since it started and then when he got diagnosed. Do nyou think it may help if i done the same? Sorry for alll the qustions. I feel like i am waffling. (story of my life)

Soft hugs. xx
djclall
UKFM Member

Postby Queenie_70 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi dj,

All appointment letters for those you have not yet attended should be copied and given to whom ever does your medical, but also included in the packet you have to send back in, (which is first). Anything that shows that this condition is being treated as an on-going illness. I also, when it came to ESA, wrote to them a letter with all the updates as needed. For example, when i first applied I only included what was going on at that time, but as time passed my condition deteriorated, so I wrote and explained how that affected my daily life, I was put straight into the support group for two years.

For PIP, when I finally had a medical, I gave the medical examiner, (not even a nurse or dr which I should have had a severe depression is one of my issues), all my upcoming appointment letters (copies), to show the Psychologist, Neurologist etc. this way they could not say that it had been and gone!!!!!

Fightback do suggest you write a daily diary. That is, not a diary for each day, but a diary for a day, but broken down into sections. Example:

0630 pain wake me up
0635 crawled to toilet

But also show steps for example:

0900 Used both hands to lift kettle for water. Tried to turn on tap, pain in hands did not allow this. Waited 5 minutes. Tried to turn tap on for water again. Added enough water for one cup of tea. Used both hands to carry kettle back to counter. Took 3 minutes plugging in kettle due to shakes. Lifted cup off mug tree, dropped cup due to hand weakness....

Do you see where I am going with it. When you list an activity break it down to everything that happens while you are trying to perform that activity. Mine is easy....went in kitchen to make coffee, forgot where everything was kept, left kitchen!!!!!

Check out their website. I have mentioned them before and they have templates for everything. Also, only do on a non-fog day, it will take a while. I did mine over a series of days as I couldn't type for that long.

xxx
Queenie_70
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits