Esa - new to all this claiming lark!

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Esa - new to all this claiming lark!

Postby Mini » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi, I know there is a whole host of info on here about claiming ESA but I still have mixed feelings as to whether to claim.

I've been off work for eight months my SSP ended just after Christmas. I have been told I should apply for contribution based ESA, but having worked all my life and never claimed a penny I just feel uncomfortable doing it. I'm worried that as I don't have FM as bad as some, not in a wheelchair, don't have a walking stick etc that I shouldn't be claiming. I've also been diagnosed with CFS.

I don't understand how the contribution based one works. My other half works also, does this come into it?

Because I'm more able than some in being able to do everyday things, I feel I will be looked at as if there's nothing wrong with me, even though I do suffer through it most of the time.

Be good to hear your thoughts on this :-)
Mini
UKFM Member

Re: Esa - new to all this claiming lark!

Postby maxinevalentina » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:34 pm

I was uneasy about applying so I understand but I did it and I get 114 ever 2 weeks and I'm still waiting to be assessed to be put in one of the 2 groups there's a huge backlog.
Everyone with fibromyalgia is different u can still apply I'm not in a wheelchair but I can't work
I would say get help filling it out coz for me it was hard wording it right
Esa is just for u so don't matter if ur other half works
all they can say is no that's it worth a try
I'm now applying for pip waiting
Hope this helps
you'll never know how strong you are untill being strong is the only choice you have
maxinevalentina
UKFM Member

Postby Mini » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks, I might take the plunge and have a look at the form. We get discriminated against all the time with this condition because people can't see it, I don't want to be classed as a fraud when I'm not :-/
Mini
UKFM Member

Postby Gentlydoesit » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi Mini,
I've been off work since last September and my ssp finishes at the end of April. I felt very much like you about applying for ESA but if you've paid into the system why not get something back out of it? I've been awarded ESA on contributions basis and waiting to see which group I get put in - my GP says that I have to retire from work on ill health grounds and she thinks it laughable that I could still get put into the back to work group!
Under a lot of pressure from my husband I applied for PIP despite having reservations about it. After a lot of worrying ( which didn't help the FM ) I have now been awarded PIP at standard rate for care and mobility. As my husband said if you don't apply for these things you will never know if you can have it.
I found the whole process very demoralising but thankfully I've had a good result. If you don't try you will never know.

Gentle hugs and support x
Gentlydoesit
UKFM Newbie

Postby lin43 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:38 pm

I found that the medical was horrible because you tell them what you can do on good days, but they are not interested in the bad days. Go on how you feel on your worst days as that is why you are struggling. Im like you, I feel like im looked on as a fraud because I can get around and need no aids but I hide myself away from the world on my bad days, its such a horrible condition that is hard for anyone to understand. You have to lose your pride and admit you need support and don't let pride stand in the way of making others realise this is not all in your head but that it IS a disability that effects your every day life. I appealed based on 0 points but won after two long years...don't let that timescale put you off, this was the departments fault for this length of time but it went in my favour as I got my award backdated two yrs and im now in the work related activity group. Time will tell how this pans out but im just relieved my condition has been recognised and im hoping they work with me and not against me.

Go for it as we believe you are suffering and will support you all the way.
lin43
UKFM Newbie

Postby Mini » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks all, sometimes you just need the support of like-minded people.

It is the assessment that worries me, I'm very honest person and feel if they ask me what I can do I would reel off a list of things I can, however, they don't see the effect it has after when I hurt all over and want to just get in bed
Mini
UKFM Member

Postby lin43 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:47 am

I am forever saying what I can do as apposed to what I cant...You have to reverse your mind set and explain everything to them and focus on the days you are really struggling. I try to explain it like having 0-25% energy level on a day to day basis, anything I do depletes that energy...if I push past it then my muscles struggle for days on end...like old withered elastic bands, the more you pull on it, the more it cracks. Fibro sufferers never regain 100% energy even after a nights sleep, we wake up on a small reserve and hope to god it gets us through a day! Its very hard to accept this, for years I never wanted to be referred to as a fibro sufferer, I wouldn't accept that they had no exact cause or cure for it. I was angry with myself for letting this take over me, I grieved for my life back! Be strong and get all the support you deserve. We are still living... we just want a helping hand to make our lifes worth living.
lin43
UKFM Newbie

Postby lin43 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:50 am

Also...CAB are wonderful, they will help you with any form filling and advice you need mini. Good luck!
lin43
UKFM Newbie

Re: Esa

Postby cj76 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:25 am

Hi. I am currently claiming income based esa and am in the work related group. I have been on this for about 2 years now, but as my gp says that there is no way of my returning to work anywhere in the near future, I should have been placed in the support group. Over the last 2 years, I have sent many letters,of which I have had to pay for from my g.p. but have never received any reply. I have been completely ignored. I am hoping to move in with my partner but have been told that I will lose my esa. He works a zero hours contract and has a very unpredictable income. He can go for weeks without any work at all but then other weeks he can work over 40 hours. If I were to be moved to the support group/ income related, would I still lose my esa? I know I can't claim contributions based. Any help would be greatly appreciated. All we want is to be together but I don't know if we will be able to afford it if I lose my claim.
cj76
UKFM Newbie

Postby blessedmummy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:16 am

Hi there everyone. From what I found when applying for example is that it does take into account if you have a partner. But double check this.
I am single with kids, worked all my life and had my own business up to 2 years ago when it got so bad I couldn't work. I was awarded sea and then had my assessment and was placed indefinitely in the support group. The whole process took around 2/3 months and I got all the back pay. Same story with dla, applied and my doctor filled in a format for me, was awarded dla for 3 years (I think), didn't even have a medical for this.
It is a huge burden financially for us when we stop work but do try for anything you may be entitled to as you won't know unless you try.
Good luck n God bless x x x x x
blessedmummy
UKFM Newbie

Postby Mini » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:57 pm

Ok so I'm filling out the forms, I thought I would give claiming a try. Just wondered what everyone else put in the bit where it asks what date did your illness start? Do they want when it actually started or just when I started to be absent from work? And it also asks if I'm entitled to SSP, well I've already had that and that's finished, so do I put yes (because I've had it) or no? I thought yes because after the "no" answer it says about a medical certificate from the 8th day or your illness and obviously I was claiming SSP after that

Sorry for the waffle hope you can understand my meaning :-)
Mini
UKFM Member

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi,

I am now thinking about claiming this. I am nervous though as I think my GP may say I can work (do I have to get a fitnote from him?) and I'm worried I will be put in the 'work' group and have pressure put on me. I am like you Mini, in that I'm better than some and also liable to be honest. Or even omit stuff, when I applied for my blue badge I didn't mention my vertigo or bad knees and he had to pry it out of me! :roll:

I am very nervous about the stress of all of this and about asking my GP for a note. Whenever I see him I smile and seem fine, little does he know I cry every day :oops:
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby Zia2014 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:08 pm

Mini wrote:Ok so I'm filling out the forms, I thought I would give claiming a try. Just wondered what everyone else put in the bit where it asks what date did your illness start? Do they want when it actually started or just when I started to be absent from work? And it also asks if I'm entitled to SSP, well I've already had that and that's finished, so do I put yes (because I've had it) or no? I thought yes because after the "no" answer it says about a medical certificate from the 8th day or your illness and obviously I was claiming SSP after that

Sorry for the waffle hope you can understand my meaning :-)

I don't know but I'd say yes as it shows you were working before, is there a space to put extra?
Zia2014
UKFM Regular

Postby BRADLEY » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:07 pm

blessedmummy wrote:Hi there everyone. From what I found when applying for example is that it does take into account if you have a partner. But double check this.
I am single with kids, worked all my life and had my own business up to 2 years ago when it got so bad I couldn't work. I was awarded sea and then had my assessment and was placed indefinitely in the support group. The whole process took around 2/3 months and I got all the back pay. Same story with dla, applied and my doctor filled in a format for me, was awarded dla for 3 years (I think), didn't even have a medical for this.
It is a huge burden financially for us when we stop work but do try for anything you may be entitled to as you won't know unless you try.
Good luck n God bless x x x x x

Hi everyone,i have just received a letter from the ESA reconsideration board and they said that I had been successful in my appeal.Doe's anybody know how long it takes before I start receiving any money again?
Yours Kindly Bradley....xx
BRADLEY
UKFM Newbie

Postby BRADLEY » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi everyone,i have just received a letter from the ESA reconsideration dept informing me that my appeal has been successful,doe's anybody know how long it takes before I start getting any money again?
Kind regards Bradley....
BRADLEY
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits