Wife ESA assessment Friday - shes terrified

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Wife ESA assessment Friday - shes terrified

Postby paulfoel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:19 am

Currently gets the standard rate but, because I work, I guess unless she gets put into the higher one (whats it called?) then after 12 months that will be the end of it. Which would mean zero I guess?

Shes terrified about going to the meeting and has heard so many stories about how they catch you out etc and turn down your claim.

Shes a nurse at the moment (although about to be terminated due to ill health) and has got fibromyalgia. At the moment, she struggles to get around and struggles to look after our two year old. Some days shes really in pain.

Shes concerned that they'll say shes not that bad and can work. Do they base it on any work or what you normally do? If its working as a nurse then no way she can even come close to being able, but then wondering if they'll say yes you're fit to hobble and sit behind a desk (even though it would cause her great pain).

System seems so unfair sometimes. I know they've got to weed out the malingers (of which Im sure there are loads) but it seems a bit harsh or genuine people who've worked and paid taxes and they're lives and are now ill.
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Re: Wife ESA assessment Friday - shes terrified

Postby daisyp59 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:36 am

I can only go by my own assessment. The lady I had was lovely, she read my medical evidence and didn't ask any questions to try to catch me out. I was put straight in to the support group, which was a huge relief. I can only suggest that your wife takes any medical evidence with her and answers questions with how it affects her on a bad day. I wish her luck.
daisyp59
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:44 am

Altho we hear about the nightmares that people go thru with their claims, assessments and outcomes, there are also many, many, many others that we don't often hear about, which go thru the system smoothly and come out at the end with the right decision, so there is a chance your wife could be one of these claimants.

The system is awful tho, and does seem to punish rather than help those making genuine claims. :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: on the way to her for Friday :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby paulfoel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:46 am

daisyp59 wrote:I can only go by my own assessment. The lady I had was lovely, she read my medical evidence and didn't ask any questions to try to catch me out. I was put straight in to the support group, which was a huge relief. I can only suggest that your wife takes any medical evidence with her and answers questions with how it affects her on a bad day. I wish her luck.

Is it important to take medical evidence? All shes got is a few appt letters from her hospital appts...
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby paulfoel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:47 am

I know its wrong but someone said just make sure you exagerrate everything as if they expect everyone to do this anyway. Its as if being truthful is somehow incorrect.
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:33 pm

My asesments were done in another country and I know that they can see right through exaggerations. I sat through many tribunals and myself saw this. In my opinion....tell the truth, exactly how it is, the good, the bad and the ugly. I am not familiar with the process in the UK but I would think that it is easier and less stressful if you go in telling the truth. Good luck!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby paulfoel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:04 pm

I see to get into support group one of the thing is being able to walk less than 50m and/or not be able to move from seated position to another. Seems very harsh indeed.

Some days she can hardly move but other days not so bad.

Interested to see how fellow fibro sufferers have got on with this.... Do you manage to tell them you can only walk 50m?
Some of the other stuff - mainly mental stuff- is not relevant I don't think.
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:58 pm

any assessment your wife has you have to answer as if its the worst day that is what i do I'm in support group i told them when I'm in pain or having a flare up if i need the toilet and cannot make it then i just go were i am which is the truth. its embarrassing to say but it is the only way you can get the assessor to understand. so just go off the worst day and explain anything no matter how small of a deal. dont just let the assessor move on if theres something you can say and make sure you give your advice to as you know better then anyone.
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby daisyp59 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:29 pm

paulfoel wrote:
daisyp59 wrote:I can only go by my own assessment. The lady I had was lovely, she read my medical evidence and didn't ask any questions to try to catch me out. I was put straight in to the support group, which was a huge relief. I can only suggest that your wife takes any medical evidence with her and answers questions with how it affects her on a bad day. I wish her luck.

Is it important to take medical evidence? All shes got is a few appt letters from her hospital appts...

If she has any doctor/hospital letters it would be good to take them, but if not, don't worry. Many people don't have letters, I was just lucky that I had recently been to a hospital and they sent me a copy of the letter sent to my GP.
daisyp59
UKFM Member

Postby jacson » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:01 pm

I would strongly suggest that you or someone close to her goes into the assessment with her as it's so easy to forget the things you want to say, she might find it helpful to write down on paper how she is on a very bad day, I did this with my last assessment and handed it to the doctor at the end for him to keep with my notes. Also if the assessor asks her to do something that may cause her any more pain then flatly refuse to do so telling them it is too painful. I took my sister in with me and she helped me remember things that the dreaded fog makes me forget, and also there can be no quibble when the doctor writes up his decision, I have had past experience of incorrect answers to many questions that I answered in previous assessments.
I am glad yo say that the doctor that gave me my last medical was very sympathetic and could clearly see the discomfort I was in after only sitting down for five minutes, I had no hesitation in asking if I could stand up and walk around to ease my stiffness and pain.
I was awarded the support group of ESA, so not all medicals are a nightmare. Good luck to you both.
jacson
UKFM Member

Postby Tired18 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:33 pm

I used the Benefits and work Website, as guidance when i completed my ESA forms as well as DLA, was awarded ESA Support Group - with no Medical, and DLA was awarded Middle Care and Higher Mobility, with no medical

Good luck
Tired18
UKFM Newbie

Postby paulfoel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:57 pm

Tired18 wrote:I used the Benefits and work Website, as guidance when i completed my ESA forms as well as DLA, was awarded ESA Support Group - with no Medical, and DLA was awarded Middle Care and Higher Mobility, with no medical

Good luck

Thought everyone had to go for an assessment?
paulfoel
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:26 pm

no they look at the evidence and decide if you need a assessment or not but with us all having fibro and other problems most of the assessors don't have a clue about it.
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby alcmsx » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:29 am

My experience was the same I just told the truth told them how it affects every part of my daily living and was awarded ESA support without a problem I think you can only get caught out if you try to have a plan what you will say. I had went over and over it in my mind what I was going to say, and said none of it, just told them how it made me feel and how it affected me, relax and just explain in your own words
alcmsx
UKFM Newbie

Postby cdcrossy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:39 pm

thats all you can do even write it down so u don't forget and explain that you have to write things down so u remember them even if you just write key notes so it jogs your memory. just remember u have to give your side as you see and feel it that is all you can do and i hope you get it all goes well if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask or pm
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits