PIP assessment

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIP assessment

Postby marimac9 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi all...I had my pip assessment on Wednesday,where I was told fibromyalgia is a not a real illness but used when they cannot find anything else wrong.Surely in this day and age it has to be recognised?? I am quite sure she will stop benefits,been on dla for 5 years. I took with me a letter from my rheumatologist consultant,which stated all my illnesses,depression ,asthma,under active thyroid,diverticulitis and hiatus hernia..She did not even look at it..Does anyone know where I can complain about her attitude please..
marimac9
UKFM Newbie

Re: PIP assessment

Postby funeral007 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:04 pm

I had my assessment 6 months ago and was awarded High rate care and High Mobility for 6 years. You defiantly need to complain!
funeral007
UKFM Member

Postby funeral007 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Wait and see what the result is before you complain, you might be surprised! Then there is always the appeal process. A friend of mine who has Fibro was turned down after his assessment, it went to the appeal stage and he was awarded both High rates by the Tribunal, so don't give up!
funeral007
UKFM Member

Postby Mummyc13 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:42 pm

Fibromyalgia is a real illness and it is stated in the disability act in black and white so throw that at them, defiantely complain and appeal i wad awarded enhanced pip for both components x
Mummyc13
UKFM Newbie

Postby barnsleybirdman » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:21 pm

If your assessment was with ATOS I wouldn't bother complaining. I had a bad experience with one of there so called assessors. She hadn't even heard of fibromyalgia, I had to tell her what it was. The report she wrote was full of discrepancies and when I asked for help in getting up from the examination table she refused to help. I had to roll over and get off undignifyingly. I contacted ATOS to complain and they just told me that they would believe her side of the assessment. They were very rude and arrogant. Because of her report I lost my benefits. I went to a tribunal and wasn't in there 10 minutes before I won my case.
barnsleybirdman
UKFM Newbie

Postby Sallyk71 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Barnsleybirdman- where did they send you, I also live in Barnsley and considered applying for PIP but after reading all the posts on here I don't know if it's worth the stress.
Sallyk71
UKFM Newbie

Postby barnsleybirdman » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi Sally
If you mean where did they send me for my assessment it was at Joseph Locke house which is behind the Alhambra Centre.
barnsleybirdman
UKFM Newbie

Postby marimac9 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Thank you all very much for info..Will keep you posted when I hear from them..
marimac9
UKFM Newbie

Postby cdcrossy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:53 am

if you can remember who assessed you i would get a information pack sent to them at the office and id send 1 a month until the assessor gets the message . i did it to my dr i have no clue if it worked but he seems bit better.
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby marimac9 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:50 am

Thank you all again for help..Got decision this morning ..they have decided I am not entitled to any daily living..but mobility awarded low care..Total amount I will be getting is £21.80 a week ..Very big drop from high rate disability..What should I do now??Telephone the no.at top of page ?or write
marimac9
UKFM Newbie

Postby sootybean56 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:44 am

Hi I had my assessment last week at atos
The person who assessed me was a paramedic
as we all know some days our symptoms are much worse than other days
I was very truthful and explained that when I had a better day I could manage a bit more but if I was
Having a bad day ? Which we all know are not one day I do almost nothing except stay in bed

I tried to explain how slow l walk and how long it takes me but all he wanted was yes or no answers
He wash,t interested if I was in pain whilst walking
trying to explain that sometimes I can do things when pains not as intense but cannot do things when pains bad

And I'm feeling really s*** which h can last sometimes days or weeks he just kept saying can you do this
Or can you do that I only want yes or no answers
I asked him about his knowledge on fibro guess what he said even the experts can't really define
persons who have fibro
guess I will have to appeal cause I don't hold any hope of being awarded anything

Almost forgot he asked me what job I did when I was working and why did I finish work why?
I did finish work because of fibro but that was 1 year before I officially retired I don't get it
The assessment was more like an are you fit for work interview
soz for rant n reply to your question I m sure you can appeal if you feel you should have been awarded higher rate good luck.
sootybean56
UKFM Member

Postby marimac9 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Hi just got letter from dwp..When I called them he told me to write to them..I did just last week and now have letter saying same £21.20 week..Si I am losing lot of money that I was using for taxis cleaners etc..Anyone know how to appeal please ? and is is it worth bother..Thanking you all again for replies

Marie
marimac9
UKFM Newbie

Postby macca » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:39 pm

If its not a real illness then why did a goverment official make this statement :

Hansard source (Citation: HC Deb, 18 June 2012, c718W)

David Morris (Morecambe and Lunesdale, Conservative)

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions whether he has considered recognising fibromyalgia in the benefits system.

Maria Miller (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Disabled People), Work and Pensions; Basingstoke, Conservative)

The Department recognises fibromyalgia as a potentially significantly disabling condition. Where a clinical diagnosis of fibromyalgia has been made, full account will be taken of its disabling effects in determining eligibility for benefits.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmhansrd/cm120618/text/120618w0004.htm

In fact the government's records are littered with references to fibromyalgia.

Of course what always tickles me is that the people who consider that Fibro isn't a 'real illess' whether that be within the medical profession or not, do not actually suffer from it. I wonder how those views would change if they themselves were diagnosed, and better still how would they then react to someone telling them that they didn't have a 'real illness'.

For the record my wife's Pain Consultant and Rheumatologist didn't share that disnissive view at all, in fact just the opposite.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:50 am

marimac9 ask dwp for the assessors report also ask for a reconsideration and when the report comes go threw it and highlight any thing thats not right then send a letter back in recorded delivery explaining why the assessors got things wrong and if you are no successful then ask for a appeal. try this site it will help a lot you can ask them to go with you and fill forms out etc http://fightback.boards.net
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby funnylady » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:11 pm

I had my assessment with capita at st peters house derby on 18th of September 2015 now I am just waiting to find out.
How long can you wait its only been two weeks.
funnylady
UKFM Member

Next

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits