Urgent advice if possible please

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Urgent advice if possible please

Postby brawny » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi all long post...sorry!

I have been on long term sick leave since October 2013. In January my work discussed with me the option of skipping capabilities and going for ill health retirement. I had been seen at Occ health before and in May was sent to see a rude Occ Health doctor who I hadn't see before. His attitutude told me straight away he had no interest in the fibro at all. He asked a few questions about the pain and what I did to keep busy. On advice from my doctor I started making cards to keep my mind off the pain. He asked who did my housework, did I do any exercise. I told him I do light housework and hubby does heavy stuff like hoovering and shopping. I told him I had attended a pain management course in 2011 which looked at pacing, exercise and cbt. At the end he asked if anything I wanted to say and I said about fatigue I suffered to which he shrugged his shoulders and said that's what you get with fibromyalgia. Anyway to say I felt rubbish when I came out was an understatement. So much so I told my Headteacher this (I am a TA in primary).

Anyway that was on May 14. 1015. I went into work two weeks ago and spk to Head and they said they'd not been asked for any paperwork yet so I chased it. Turned out the request had been floating I'm cyberspace somewhere. Fast forward to July 9th I receive copy of report they wanted to send to Headteacher explaining reasons I won't be put forward for ihr. His wording was this about fibromyalgia:

Fibromyalgia is taken to be a complex syndrome arising from a multitude of factors often with fear and avoidance of activity which increases levels of pain and discomfort.

He then went on to say graded exercise program and cbt are seen to help and I hadn't followed graded exercise program and that was his reason for saying I hadn't done everything to help and couldn't be put forward for ihr. After speaking to my union I asked for that to be changed as I had followed an exercise program as part of the pain management course. I have just received the amended letter which changed this to say the evidence base for somatoform disorders is that time will help. Now number one somatoform disorders are when you have a mental health disorder that makes you think you are in pain and I have fibromyalgia which was diagnosed at Gloucester Royal Hospital and number two he's changed it to say time will now sort it all!

Btw in the letter he puts I continue to enjoy a variety of activities including making cards.

I just don't know what to do next. I'm waiting to hear from the union for advice but tbh I think they only change your letter once. I actually don't know that for a fact as I've been given no paperwork advising what does happen. Please, please can someone help me.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense..as you guys know it's hard with fibro to make sense..thank you in advance.
brawny
UKFM Member

Re: Urgent advice if possible please

Postby Genevieve489 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm afraid that I don't know enough about this to actually help, but would just like to say that I really feel for you in this difficult situation. Maybe your union will be able to help further? Or is there an appeal process you could use?

Take care of yourself and I do hope that you get this sorted and things improve for you.
Genevieve489
UKFM Member

Postby eeyorejd » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:42 pm

Sorry to hear your having problems
I was with (still am with) GMB best Union and very helpful. I personally would advise to go back to your union the letter still isn't correct and you can back this up by your own doctor and hospital. When I retired (I was a T/A in a Primary School) my reference letter wasn't right it was changed four times before I was happy so I don't see why they can't change yours.
Your Union should fight the fact that the details in the letter are incorrect they may even be able to sort out another doctor to submit a correct report.
Failing your Union I would go private and submit your own report to the school.
You may have a long fight and some days it might completely drain you but try and stay strong and fight for what is right. As regards to the card making I used to make cards (can't do it anymore) and the doctor for the DLA was like yours who made out because I could do card making I was fine until the appeal doctor pointed out that this was actually part of my therapy which not only helped to keep my hands moving but helped me mentally as well.
Take each point of the letter/report and write your own version including all the facts then your Union can see what it is you want and help you achieve your goal.
I really hope you get it sorted x
eeyorejd
UKFM Member

Postby brawny » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:42 pm

Ladies thank you for your answers. Onto the union I go again tomorrow. I am seriously thinking of sending both differing letters to HR and my Headteacher too. I'm so disgusted that a doctor coz you ask a report to be changed gets his own back by changing what he put to suit himself. I know I cannot work. Also my Headteacher promised me a copy of the school report before it was sent...have I got it..NO! At no time was I asked how fibromyalgia affects my life and how working affects it. The only form I've filled in is consent to go to my doctors.
brawny
UKFM Member

Postby morette5 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi
I'm really sorry to read this. You are being rail-roaded.

1. He cannot tell you how you are doing. You inform him. It affects everyone differently and it varies.

2. Fibro slows your thinking and responses. He has to allow you time to process his questions. and realise your own answer. (You are vulnerable)

3. Fibro is a moving target, that is why you cannot really understand what you are still going through well enough to explain it. (You don't have to know all the answers).

4. DO NOT LET ANYONE PUT WORDS IN YOUR MOUTH. They must allow you to answer in your own time. That is your disability.

5. The whole process is unfair to you as you are handicapped by your condition. Slow fast talkers down, ask them to repeat or explain. (You are too tired to realise they are not on your side).

6. Protect yourself. Always have some to speak on your behalf or with you for support in formal assessments. (Citizens advice, close friend etc.)

7. You are very vulnerable and the sharks are circling. You still have survival instinct. adapt and fight.

Good luck.
morette5
UKFM Member

Postby UnderSiege » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi.

I agree with all that morette5 said there.

Also, days when you are foggy try and write down a quick note of things; how ppl are, if they try to put one over on you etc (call it the book of grudges if you like, that's what my diary is called lol)
Then on days when you are sharper you can refer back to it and call ppl out on their behaviours and kick their a***.
It's what I try to do. No way I'm gonna let ppl mess with me when I'm defenceless and get away with it...

Take care and best of luck.
UnderSiege
UKFM Member

Postby Bexter » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:42 am

Hi

I know that you have to pay for them but could u not pay your own GP to do a report or even a letter explaining fibro and what you can and can't do. I'd then photocopy it and attach to each person you was going to send your report to including your Union and explain that not only was the guy not listening to you properly , but he also doesn't have the correct knowledge of fibro to be able to write the report on your behalf as he has now already done two and still it's not correct so you would either like to see someone else or to use your GP's letter.
I'd go and see your GP and take the reports and explained what happened and his attitude and show her/him the reports so he/she can reference how wrong the guy was.

I hope this makes sense . Good luck

Becky x
Bexter
UKFM Newbie

Postby brawny » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Makes perfect sense Becky thank you x
brawny
UKFM Member

Postby Angie Baby » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:34 am

Hi, I'm sorry that you've been rail roaded by this doctor. Go back to your doctor's and explain what has happened. Show him/ hee the report and explain just how uninterested the doctor waa with your responses. If your doctor's like mine he/she will write you a report stating just how much Fibromyalgia has impacted on your life. Good luck and remember you can appeal if things don't work out for you. I've been medically retired since 2011 because of my Fibromyalgia! I was a cleaner working for Royal Mail unfortunately I couldn't manage to do my work anymore. Gentle hugs :-)
Angie Baby
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:17 pm

hi
after I left the first occi doc I felt like someone just vomited on me

the second one was very respectful and empathetic

after that I always requested to be referred to the second one
always seen him from that point on

another plus was the continued care of this occi doc and he could write about the progress

hope this makes sense, bit foggy
best wishes
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits