Medical issues but not within descriptors, not coping

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Medical issues but not within descriptors, not coping

Postby dizzydrew » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:56 am

Hi all, I am new here. I have lots of medical issues and am currently in ESA WRAG group where I have been for the last 16 months. Although my advisor has heard the issues I face, these are never taken on board. I have had spinal surgery and I now have osteo arthritis in my back and hip, which means sitting for any length of time causes me much pain, however I also have Fibromyalgia, have not slept properly in 3 years, and my concentration is badly affected and of course the pain from the Fibro zaps me if I stand or walk too much too. I have not been coping with pain levels along with stress anxiety and depression and have now started Amitriptyline, which is knocking me for six and so I no longer drive. My advisor says she has plenty of clients with Fibro who are working. I have just had to stop my volunteering work at four hours a day as I was not coping with the pain in my back and the Fibro was making concentration a real problem. I have taken advice and know I do not fit in with the Support Group descriptors and am due to be re-assessed in October. If I am lucky I may get in the WRAG group again, although I have no great confidence in this and am wondering what I will do as I cannot cope with what they are asking of me. Where does this leave me? Can anyone clarify if you are kicked off ESA after 2 years and if so what happens then. As a single parent - all the stress of this is leaving me at my wits end. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
dizzydrew
UKFM Newbie

Re: Medical issues but not within descriptors, not coping

Postby Michelle1990 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Aww bless you I really feel for you, I'm 25 and was diagnosed with fibro last year. Since before I got my diagnosis I have been in agony every day. I also suffer anxiety n depression and don't think there is enough support emotionally but physically I now recieve chronic physiotherapy with I find helps. I would advise you to go ahead with ESA and save as many letters from your GP and other medical staff involved with your case. Also try writing a pain diary for a week or 2. If it is possible ask your GP to write a letter for DWP explaining how your condition has got worse and how it effects your daily living. I fought my case and won the support group but if your like me and you don't have any good days and all bad days then definitely fight it. I hope you get somewhere with DWP and I wish you good health for your future.
Best wishes,
Michelle x
Michelle1990
UKFM Newbie

Postby Susan Stokes » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi Dizzydrew, I'm sorry for your predicament. It's true that a lot of people with fibro are able to work, but it's also true that a lot of people can't. I worked full-time for 10 years (looking back I don't know how I did it), then had to take early retirement. There are so many symptoms with fibro and it seems pot luck as to which ones we get - that is why it's difficult to compare one person with another. I hope everything works out for you, and when you feel like screaming just let it all out on here.

Good Luck.
Susan Stokes
UKFM Member

Postby Redminx » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:28 pm

Hi there ive had fibro over 8 yrs but only diagnosed after 5yrs. Im on Amytriptyline but low dose only 50mg a nite and Etopan600mg one daily. Some days are still harder than others and I also have Co-Codamol . Exersise helps and also vitamins too. I cant work full time and the frustrating thing is u cant see the pain so others dnt beleve u etc and ive never had a refreshing sleep in yrs since this all started. Just dnt give up and keep tryin but dnt overdo it on days when u feel good. Easier said than done though im my own worse enemy!
Redminx
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits