PIP Walking distance help needed.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

PIP Walking distance help needed.

Postby oorwullie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi everyone. Hope you are all well. Need some help regarding the walking distances on the new pip form. I have made it clear I can walk 27 metres but not in one go or in a safe manner and that I cannot do so repeatedly or within a reasonable timescale. I have also made it clear that I can walk zero distance without severe pain and discomfort. Because of this should I be ticking the 20 metres box or 20metres to 50metres? Any help would be appreciated.
oorwullie
UKFM Member

Re: PIP Walking distance help needed.

Postby Cuddles6 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:24 pm

I think that they dont count if you are in pain or not but just how far you can actually move yourself. Good luck.
Cuddles6
UKFM Member

Postby Roni1970 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:53 pm

I am the same as you oorwullie. I put 20-50 on my form because I was a little confused. I cannot walk 20-50 meters in one go. I also put that I could walk without assistance, thinking this meant without the aid of another person..... but no it didnt. What I should have said was less than 20 with the aid of a walking stick and with the need of constant breaks. I was very worried but I got PIP. You have to be very clear on what you can and cannot do.
Roni1970
UKFM Member

Postby sandiepandie » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:34 pm

Okay- when filling in your pip form you are writing about you on a BAD day. If you cannot walk 27 metres in one go - then you cannot walk it. Yes they do care about how it affects you. That is the point of the firms. If on a bad day you can only manage a couple of metres - then that is the distance you put.

We all have good days and bad days, some more bad than good. So it is the bad days that count - the days that affect your life most.
sandiepandie
UKFM Member

Postby hoysey » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:04 pm

As bad as it sounds as well, when it comes to the day of your medical make sure that you walk no further than you say you can, sods law you will turn up on a "good" day, so you might have to do a bit of minor acting ;)

And be careful as these buildings have camera's everywhere..
hoysey
UKFM Member

Postby cdcrossy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:28 am

i told the assessor i cannot walk far and do not really know the distance in meters and feet just that i cannot walk to far. then was asked how long does it take to walk the shop and i said a few minutes depending on pain could be longer but i do not go the shop anymore as I'm in pain when walking.
cdcrossy
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:15 pm

thinking outside of the box

what about ticking both

I ie:
can walk because both my legs touch the ground
can even walk lets say half a mile
can I walk 20 meters today? no! (between us, yesterday I could and I did and today and tomorrow etc I will pay for it)
so:
can I walk 20 meters at any given time of the day, at any day of the week? no!

I would either tick both or none
and would explain like I did just now in the form and at the assessment

someone who lost a limb through an accident can not walk unaided 20 meters etc but might still run a marathon with proper prosthetic

hope this helps your thinking process
Last edited by fibro-lu on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby oorwullie » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi all. Thankyou for all your kind replies. Just a quick update to let you know I have been awarded low rate mobility and enhanced daily living component until 2019. I've lost my high rate mobility but have had my care component increased. As far as I am concerned I am entitled to enhanced rate mobility but its a better outcome than I expected given that others have received nothing at all. I don't think I'll be appealing this. Its hassle I really don't need.
oorwullie
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits