Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pip award

Postby sootybean56 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:12 am

Hi everyone
her some advice please even though been through all this before
Just received dreaded brown envelope have been awarded standard rate care
but nothing for mobility
I was on high rate mobility before pip assessment

At assessment done by a paramedic who asked me why I finished work I explained that my physical job
had become too much for me I could not bend twist stand or sit for long periods of time fibro fog and that besides falling and stumbling
frequently it was also taking me 3/4 to 1 hour to walk a 10 minute journey

I finished work 5 years ago and retired in January this year so officially a pensioner
on my report back from dwp it states I can walk for 45/ 1hour unaided and at assessment appeared in no pain

I walk very slow I am in pain always although the pain differs from manageable to sever stabbing

So phoned dwp up they said write a letter and ask for a reconsideration
so I thought I would phone welfare rights they told me that I could possibly lose award for care if I ask for reconsideration for mobility
Don't know what to do
I do have problems with walking
would appreciate any advice experience on this matter :cry:
sootybean56
UKFM Member

Re: Pip award

Postby Cuddles6 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:25 pm

From what I can make out its just whether you can or not. It dosent matter how much pain you are in or how long it takes you. Different criteria. Good luck x
Cuddles6
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:13 pm

No it isn't a case of whether you can walk irrespective of anything else.

When deciding whether you can walk 20 meters consideration must be given to whether you can do it safely, reliably, in a timely manner, and importantly as often as you need to.

Consideration must be given to the effect that pain and fatigue for instance have on the claimant's ability to perform this and other activities.

So whilst you may be able to walk 20 metres, if as a result of doing that you experience raised levels of pain and fatigue that then have an effect on your body which impedes your ability to carry on walking 20 meter distances then you need to clearly explain how it impedes you. I.e. What effect does it have on your body?

Hope that helps

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby sootybean56 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi and thanks for info
when I walk pain increases and I get fatigued
which nearly always ends up I'm completelywhacked
also scared of people bumping into me due to pain sudden movements
think I'm going to write that letter n fingers crossed.

Just get so fed up with people who have no idea how fibro
affects ones life on day to day or hour :pull-hair: to hour basis

Oh for to be my old self again
thank you again this forum has really been a godsendx
sootybean56
UKFM Member

Postby fatalrazkaz » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:07 pm

Looks like, once again, they have used something you've said against you. They know what you meant but they have used it literally. They did that to me too. Because I said our car had a sat nav they put in my report that I could use a sat nav. I never use it, my husband does it. They also said I could use google maps even though I said I had looked up where the assessment was but got the journey wrong so my husband had to then resort to the sat nav. I didn't get mobility because of those things. Didn't make any difference that I was on crutches and had been for a year and couldn't walk very far.

In your case they have used you telling them it takes you 3/4 to 1 hr to walk a ten minute walk as you saying that you can walk for an hour. Typical twisting of information on their part !!

I didn't bother asking for a reconsideration because I was worried they may reassess it all and end up with nothing but I wish I had now. I don't see why it should affect the care side if you phoned them up as you have been awarded that fairly x
Last edited by fatalrazkaz on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:09 pm

No worries, I really would advise you to do a little more reading on this. There is a ‘PIP Assessment guide’ that is published on http://www.gov.uk and this is a DWP guidance document for providers carrying out assessments for Personal Independence Payment.
The following content can be found in that document, and please bear in mind this is just an extract so you would be well advised to read the document in more detail as it has a lot of relevant content that you could actually refer to when you write to DWP :

Choosing descriptors

2.8.6. The most important areas of advice in relation to benefit entitlement are the assessment criteria themselves. For each activity area, the HP should use evidence to choose the descriptor that is the one which best reflects the claimant's ability to carry out an activity, taking into account whether they need to use aids or appliances and whether they need help from another person or an assistance dog.

2.8.7. Before selecting a descriptor, the HP must consider whether the claimant can reliably complete the activity in the manner described in the descriptor, taking into account where they can do so:

• Safely
• To an acceptable standard
• Repeatedly
• In a reasonable time period.

2.8.8. The HP must also take into account that most health conditions or impairments can fluctuate over time. The HP should consider ability over a 12 month period as this helps to iron out fluctuations and presents a more coherent picture. For some conditions different time periods will need to be considered, such as the potential impact of different times of the day. If a claimant is unable to complete an activity or needs support to do so at a point in the day when you would reasonably expect them to complete it, the need should be treated as existing for the whole of the day, even if it does not exist at other points in the day.

2.8.9. For a scoring descriptor to apply, the claimant’s health condition or impairment must affect their ability to complete the activity on more than 50 per cent of days in the 12 month period. Where one single descriptor in an activity is likely to not be satisfied on more than 50 per cent of days, but a number of different scoring descriptors in that activity together are likely to be satisfied on more than 50 per cent of days, the descriptor likely to be satisfied for the highest proportion of the time should be selected.

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby sootybean56 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi Mecca
many thanks for info will definitely be reading up
today while my heads clear
don't know what it will be like tomorrow

Thought I was coping with fibro but can't do with any kind of stress
I know some people knock sites like this but its members on this site who
have a wealth of experience about fibro etc

Why can't the powers that be listen nobody wants conditions
like this.

[chocolate] for you enjoy x
sootybean56
UKFM Member

Postby macca » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Hi Sootybean, did you manage to get to grips with that assessment guide document, where elements of it useful for you to be able to refer to ?

Mac
macca
UKFM Member

Postby sootybean56 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:32 pm

hi mac
soz been offline for a while
i did read up but same old story dwp still rejected reconsideration letter
have appealed against their decision
got in touch with welfare benifits
who are drafting appeal for me

just waiting for hearing date