any students at uni?

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

any students at uni?

Postby princess P » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:08 am

What would you apply for if u are in uni and your condition is going through a flare? do you get any finantial help for chronic conditions? Can you apply for dla? we are on working familly tax so do we apply this time for working familly tax with disabled aspect? Is fibro concidered a disability? :dunno:
Hi any one I have a preliminary diagnosis of chronic widespread pain syndrome, whatever that is but g.p. is convinced its F.M. Sending out good vibes to all . x
princess P
UKFM Member

Re: any students at uni?

Postby MCT » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:50 pm

princess P wrote:What would you apply for if u are in uni and your condition is going through a flare? do you get any finantial help for chronic conditions? Can you apply for dla? we are on working familly tax so do we apply this time for working family tax with disabled aspect? Is fibro concidered a disability? :dunno:

My GP used to do home visit medicals for DLA and her comment to me was it is not the diagnosis/label (ie fibro) that makes you disabled, it is how you are affected in your daily life by it that does.
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/FMClinics/

My get up and go just got up and went!!!

As you slide down the bannister of life, may all the splinters be facing in the right direction :)
MCT
UKFM Member

Postby luuluu » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:42 am

Hi

I'm not at uni but am doing an open university degree and they class fibro as a disabitlity and have given me disabled students allowance which provides a laptop, printer etc... voice activated software for when I can't write and other help. You would need to get in touch with student services at your university, they would be able to tell you more.

Take care

luuluu:hugs:
xxxxx
what other people think of me is really none of my business
luuluu
UKFM Member

Postby darkcyde » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi Luuluu

I'm just going about applying for my Disabled Students Allowance for my Open University degree starting in October.

Can I ask how much you were awarded, and did you have to go for an assessment for it?

Thanks,
Diagnosed : ME/FM, CFS,CPS, IBS, ADHD : Medications : Mirtazapine 45mg, Paracetamol 4gram a day, Omeprazole 40mg, Dompperidone 30mg, Morphine (tabs) 120mg, Morphine (liquid) 100mg twice a day
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:53 pm

This topic is 4 years old darkcyde and I can't recall seeing of the the posters active on the forum, so you may not get any replies. Plus there may well have been changes in what can be paid/how things can be accessed etc. Maybe looking for some more current info could give you some helpful answers.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby isitme » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:11 pm

hi darkclyde,

i am doing ou course i started last october.

i got a disabled students award, they come to your house and do an assessment then provide you with the equipment or support services you need = you don;t actually get given any money.

they also make a note on your file in case they need to make allowances with such things such as coursework/deadlines.

:-) :-)
isitme
UKFM Member

Postby darkcyde » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Firstly, sorry mod, I didn't notice how old this thread actually was.

Thanks for your reply isitme....did you not get anything under the General Allowance fund?
Diagnosed : ME/FM, CFS,CPS, IBS, ADHD : Medications : Mirtazapine 45mg, Paracetamol 4gram a day, Omeprazole 40mg, Dompperidone 30mg, Morphine (tabs) 120mg, Morphine (liquid) 100mg twice a day
darkcyde
UKFM Member

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits