Shoud I give up work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Shoud I give up work

Postby markc012 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi All

I work for the NHS ( Yes another one)
During September to 13th October anyone in the NHS can apply to 'voluntary leave' and get a severence pay.
I will get 8 months pay, tax and pension free. This will work out to be 14 months 'take home' pay as no tax etc.

I have hardly worked for the last 18 months and I am close to being dismissed due to incapacity to do job to which I will get 3 months pay and off I go. I have had DDA changes to work and I am struggling with Fibro and CFS.

I wonder if the day I leave I should put in claim for ill health pension. Will I get any benefits as I gave up my job. Going around in circles knowing what to do.

Off work at the moment for Urinary problems, retention and pain, had to have a catheter twice and now I have real problems. Been off about 3 months with this and work are treating this sickness seperate to by 'disability' sickness.

Anyone had to give up work due this disability? I worry I will be treated bad by DWP as I gave up job voluntary.

Thanks for help

Mark
markc012
UKFM Member

Re: Shoud I give up work

Postby shazq » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi
As you have been on sick leave for a bit and you are struggling with work then maybe this is the best time to pack it in.

Lots of fibro sufferers have had to give in work.

Depending on what benefit you want to apply for, i know you have to have under a certain amount of savings before you can claim.

Here is a link to DlA. :- http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeo ... g_10011731
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:18 am

Hi

I think if you really think that they are going to dismiss you then you are better off taking the voluntary leave.

You've got to ask yourself, do you think you will be able to go back and do your job?, is there anyway that you can reduce your hours to suit your needs.

I worked as a dinner lady for six years. I gave it up in December because i was fed up of that hour tiring me out. It was everyday and i couldnt really go out anywhere to make sure i was ok for going there. But i regret leaving, i realise now it gave me a reason to get up, plus i never had one day off sick, even on my bad days i went. I know its different to you because mine was only for an hour but it gave me motivation mon to friday and it got me out of the house. I could walk there and it kept me mobile.

Hope you manage to come to a decision that is right for you

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby markc012 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks for your replies.

My main worry is I am giving up work voluntary. I know I will have my job terminated on grounds of Incapacity if I do not go voluntary.
Occy Health even wrote to my Manager and said I will have long term and short term sickness. HR said they did not think I would manage to do my job, but they were really nice about it.
As one of my Managers has not spoken to me since January ( I have 2 job roles ) I work for her for 30 hours, but managed by my manager for 7.5 hours overall. Very confusing. She now wants me to do what I used to do in a month, now in a week. So I guess that's their way of trying to push me out anyway.
I have seen this so many times, especially when I worked on a ward for 7 years.
Anyroadup!! sorry I am waffling, I just hope I not punished by the Benefit systems for giving up my job.
If I get ESA then after assessment I am put on JSA will then stop benefits as I gave up work.
This is giving me sleepless nights and more stress!!
Thanks again
Mark
markc012
UKFM Member

Postby shellcake » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:25 pm

Mark
I think the benefit system is clear as mud. While the obvious things looks to be take the redunancy and then claim, as you say it's difficult to know what to do.
Is there anyone sensible in Occy Health who can advise you on how this should go?
I lost all my jobs when I got fibro and am now on DLA. I managed to get DLA long before I got a dx but it was a bit of an ordeal.

I don't think you should be seen as deliberately making yourself unemployed if you take redundancy while you are so ill. You might want some written confirmation from HR or Occy Health however that you are ill.
Good luck.
Remember you only have to live through each day once.
shellcake
UKFM Member

Postby markc012 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks shellcake
It's not redundancy, it is very well clearly stated that it is voluntary resigning. That is the sticky bit!!
Mark
markc012
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:05 pm

many of us on here have been in the same place of yourself. basically stuck and still trying to hold on to what is considered a normal life. working.

i worked for an agency and was told to get a fit for work certificate from my gp. which i thought he would give me. but when i went to the gp he put me off sick and i havent worked since nor do they think il will ever be able to. i kept my workp[lace in order and told them what was happening. they gave me the sick pay they had to give me by law. then after i think it was 28 weeks i was then told to get in touch with benefits etc. when i first rang up the befits people they asked.

1, are you still employed?? at the time i hadnt been told i had been sacked or resigned, and i hadntgiven my notice in . as the work place had said they would keep the job open for me. so i told the lady that i was still employed in which she said if your not working due to sickness and have been out of work for 28 weeks and you have ongoing sickness which obviously i had, she said it would be better for me to give my job up and claim benefits. but she couldnt say this on the books.

so basically i ha dto say i was unemployed so i could get the benefits and tehn i rang my boss to say that i couldnt no longer work so it was best that they stopped my job etc. i didnt have to write an letter of retirement it just sort oif happened, and they gave me the proper forms to say that i had finished.

this is what happened to me. i dont know if it happened correctly etc. but i am classed as umemplyed due to disability and therefore get the said benefits. all i can say is have a word with the welfare offiecers etc and check where yo9u stand. good luck.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi Mark I was in the same position as you in April 2008, after being off sick for 6 months, I had been to see the company doctor who sent in a report stating that in his opinion I should be retired on ill-health grounds.

As soon as the company got this I was made redundant under the voluntary scheme, although it was not voluntary on my part. (I was just told your job doesnt exsist any more ).

I was on IB and still am plus DLA. My company refused to allow me to make a claim under the long term sickness benefit part of my pension as the HR manager was on the board of the pension :yikes: :evil:

Since then the company has changed hands so it left me up a creek with no paddle so to speak. Really difficult for you cos what you need them to do is make you go, but to give you the benefits of the voluntary packet, as with your health problems, you aren't going to work any time soon (never say never though :yikes: )

Can you speak to the HR department as a special case :?: :?: :?: The other thing is to speak to CAB, even a phone consultation (as time is short) OR your local benefits agency as they should be able to tell you what you are entitled too

Anyway Good luck and I hope you get the outcome you deserve :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:23 pm

I would go to your local CAB office and ask them to explain what will be best for you and what benefits you would be able to claim.
Try not to let it stress you out as you will make yourself worse.

Good luck and keep us updated. :hugs:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby fibro-lu » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:03 am

markc012 wrote:Thanks shellcake
It's not redundancy, it is very well clearly stated that it is voluntary resigning. That is the sticky bit!!
Mark

hi mark

what happened at the end?
how are you?
are you stil on the forum?

all the best
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Anne161 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi Everyone, I am in the same situation as Mark I have been off sick since sep with fibro, my employer has done a home visit before Christmas and I went to see a doctor at occu health last week. My 28 weeks is up at the end of march. My employer now wants to come and see me again regarding the report from the occu health doctor. I would love to go back to work but there is no way at present that I could even on reduced hours. If I left of my own accord due to sickness would I be able to claim esa right away or can I only claim after the 28 weeks when my sick pay stops. I am currently applying to dla but have been turned down once and I am in the middle of a reconsideration. I just don't want the hassle of work keep ringing me all the time when I am ill but i can't manage on no money. Can anyone help!!!! :facepalm: :banghead:
Anne161
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Hi Anne, they will talk to you regarding the report so it's probably best to get that over with, but on no account be on your own when they visit. Make sure you have someone present, do you have a union :?: or representative who could be there as well. Not sure about the ESA situation if I were you I would ring the benefits office and inquire what you are entitled to.

:fingerscrossed: you get the help you need to make the best decision for you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :flowers:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby libby63 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:15 pm

I have spent the last 5 years trying to get back to work.. When my Back surgeon sat me down and said I am sorry Liz your never going to be able to work again I was still determinded I was going to prove him wrong. Here I am still not working but, having now come to terms with that fact.. What I am trying to say is sometimes its the coming to terms with the person we have become takes longer.. I strongly believe that having not been born "Disabled" it has taken me a very long time to say the word and class myself as such.

Liz
libby63
UKFM Member

Postby loopey » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:13 am

hi, im in similiar position, work are dismissing me on ill health i went to citizens advice to see if i would be better handing my notice in, they suggested not as i wouldnt be able to claim job seekers or employment and support allowances, was worried about if i wanted to apply for job in future buy they said i would have to disclose medical history anyway, really awful illness as i love my job but just cant physically do it anymore. hope it turns out ok for you.
loopey
UKFM Newbie

Return to DWP, Working & Benefits