[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Hello from a newbie

Hello from a newbie

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hello from a newbie

Postby shadow » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Hi,

My name is Jules and I am 30 years old, have 1 daughter and 2 soon to be step sons and live in tamworth.

Just been diagnosed with FM this week after years and years of being told it was growing pains (im 5'2 now and was at 12 so havent grown at all :lol: )

I was very lucky to get this diagnosis as I was having tests done, they thought I had IBS or IBD, fortunately my doc decided to have a thorough look through the notes and realised that something was amiss and questioned me on the various symptoms i had been in with over the years, I still had them all had just given up moaning to GP about them cos blood tests and all other tests had come back all clear. Turns out that for all these years I have had FM - was a bit shocked as for years had it drummed into me that I was just lazy and moaning about nothing!

The main symptoms I get are brain fog, dizzy spells, IBS, bladder weakness, restless legs, tender spots so much so that if someone tickles me it really hurts!!, muscle spasms/cramps in my legs (due to this my legs are so muscular I cant get trousers to fit unless they are baggy/flare/very wide) and poor sleep, can sleep 14 hours and still wake up shattered!

I am amanging to hold down a full time job at the moment and just hope that I can continue to do so although some days I dont know how i make it through the day without falling asleep in a ball under my desk!! I even manage to ride my motorbike on good days which helps to keep me happy and positive! I find that laughter is the best medicine for if I didnt laugh most days I would cry :shock:

Doc has given me co-codamol, spasmonal and told me to go away and think about low level antidepressants as a treatment but to think carefully cos she wants me to stay on them at least 6 months for a proper trial and said if they work I may possibly be on them the rest of my life!?! are any of you on them and do they help???

Sorry about the long rambling first post!

Jules
shadow
UKFM Member

Postby jakerleen » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:24 pm

Hi Jules

I am new too. I used to live in Chelmsley wood, not too far from you, but am in Stourbridge now.

Had the same problem hun, kept being looked at as if I was making ti all up, but luckily a new doc took me seriously and I got my dx recently.

Hope to speak to you more.

Jackie xxx
jakerleen
UKFM Member

Postby shadow » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:28 pm

Hi jackie,

thanks for the reply, I am glad I found this site and realise that there are so many people who have had similiar problems to me and its been really informative too!

Is stourbridge near kidderminster? sure i have passed there on the way to the safari park lol

Jules
shadow
UKFM Member

Postby gillshutt » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Hi, I'm another newbie. I live in South Wales. Haven't got a diagnosis yet but all the symptoms are there.
Just had a laugh at your jokes on the other thread. Thanks for making me laugh. :D
gillshutt
UKFM Regular

Postby claire edwards » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi Jules
welcome to the forum.
I was recently diagnosed and agreed to start antidepressants, they have made a big difference to my mental state and helping to deal with the pain etc...i still suffer low days but im better than i was mentally.
I hope this site gives you the information you need, i have found it invaluable.
take care
claire
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it would be good to hear from people as a form of support and to support.
claire edwards
UKFM Member

Postby Min » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:22 am

Hi Jules, welcome to the board. Low dose antidepressants are often used to relieve pain but might make you feel (even more) tired in the first few weeks.

Have you been offered an appointment at a fibromyalgia clinic, or failing that with a rheumatologist? Physiotherapy can be very helpful if the physiotherapist is clued up abput fibro.
Min
UKFM Member

Postby juliet » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:32 pm

hi jules and gillshutt

hope you guys arnt suffering so much at the moment!

gillshutt.. where in south wales are you im at uni in swansea.. such a lovely area i never want to come home!

i tryed low levels of amitryplinine (sp?) for a while and found they did little for me so now have stopped taking them, they did knock me out at night tho so if you are struggleing to sleep they might be good, other people swear by them tho so give them a go!

Ju
juliet
UKFM Member

Postby Ally » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:46 pm

Hi Shadow
Im not far from u, i live in Kingshurst and also like you have had symptoms of FM since childhood but only got a diagnosis this year.
Ally x
Ally
UKFM Member

Postby jakerleen » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:43 am

Hi Ally is that Kingshurt on the border of Chelmsley and Castle Brom?

Jackie xx
jakerleen
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics