Rioting

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Rioting

Postby cherryblossom » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Like everyone else, I am disgusted with what has been done, the lives lost, the homes and precious belongings of people, all gone. But like someone on here has said, we musn't lose perspective.

Although there have been alot of people invilved in these riots, they are the minority in comparison to the majority that have volunteered their time to help clear up this mess. We must also remember that we are blaming all the 'young' people when it also looks to me that there are quite a few 'older' people that have been involved as well. We mustn't 'tar everyone with the same brush' so to speak. I have two lovely 'kids' both in their early twenties (just) and they are both self-employed and work very hard and are appalled at the destruction caused by all this.

They know it's not right, like the rest of us, but also say that people think that ALL young people are like these rebellious persons. But as someone on here has said of themselves, they are unemployed, trying their hardest to find work, maybe not the richest of us all, yet doesn't find the need to go round being destructful and ruining peoples lives.

I remember the eighties, the strikes, the three day week at school (if that sometimes!) the bomb at the Grand Hotel in Brighton - that had a huge effect on us as we were living nearby at the time, and all the riots that went with the huge recession then. But where did it get us? What was the point in the end? I don't know, but what I do know is that we have to set an example to these young people - the MAJORITY - that we stand together as a strong community, we will help these people rebuild their lives, we will volunteer to clear up the mess, we will show them how we stand together as well as showing the government that we won't be beaten, we will show them what makes us British and be proud of it and set them a good example to follow!

CHARITY STARTS AT HOME! We help plenty of other countries in their hour of need, now let's help our own! :grouphug: :grouphug:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby McVinster » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:28 am

As one of those young people in the majority, it really, really, REALLY, bugs me when I've had people mutter, point and avoid me like I'm going to stab them.

In my experience it's older people that have done it to me mostly, but I think this is because they've been told by the newspapers and telly that all young people are evil thieving scum.

It really did lift my heart to see all those people of all ages, helping with clear ups and not giving in to the scare tactics of these gangsters and their ignorant followers.

"Time is an illusion; lunchtime, doubly so." - Douglas Adams
McVinster
UKFM Member

Postby Duffinamdi » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:37 am

They can't be that bad off they all had their Blackberry.
What got me was the looting and the breaking into places is bad, but the arson, people losing everything :( , The loss of life :( , I hope they fall over in their new trainers and break their legs :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
My daughter 14 is in the army cadet's, she has just come back from a 10 day camp at a RAF base in Newquay Cornwall. they were up at 5.30am doing drill, 5 miles walks, shooting, PT. They had 1 afternoon at the beach. There are thing out there for kids to do. It just most of them don't want a do any thing that is hard work :snore1: .

I am so proud of my daughter, she got her 1 star which is the next grade up and came second in the rifle shooting getting 90/100 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is down to discipline at home, Jordan wouldn't dare answer me back let alone do anything like that.
I work in a infants school, some of the kids turn round and say my mum said I don't have to do what you say :dunno: :dunno:
We have in the past had reception children, age 4-5, that think nothing of biting, punching and kicking the other children and the staff.
The amount of times we have said in a few years we will see them on crimewatch :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Duffinamdi
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:34 pm

I don't want to get too political but there are many ways to contribute to a persons demise without necessarily driving a car into them.. illegal war for example.. I'm just asking people to look at the bigger picture. I'm not condoning or making excuses for criminal behaviour of any kind weather it be at the top, the bottom or anywhere in between.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby McVinster » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:32 pm

War is war, legal or not people are going to die all the same.

I don't think these riots are about anything political. It started as a nice peaceful protest and its just the few people who take any opportunity to turn something into violence. It's like at football matches, the violence is rarely from true fans, there are just a few people that turn up wanting to make trouble wherever there's a large crowd and strong feelings.

The people rioting were probably this type of person, the looters are brainless thieves the type that shoplift because they can. They want for nothing yet complain life is so bad for them and use ANY excuse to go against law and authority.

Duffinamdi is right, some kids just aren't taught to accept NO!
I grew up in a poor family, we survived on benefits because my mum got more money from DLA than from a job she could do, and my dad was too old for most positions and needed to stay home and help my mum. We never wanted for anything as kids, my parents spent time with my brother and me, we were taught to understand why we couldn't have all the latest toys and gadgets. We were taught to share things and to make the most of what we had. I see kids of just 6 these days demanding they get the latest iPhone! I was lucky if I had a toy phone when I was that age.

This culture of spoiling kids needs to stop, they need to be taught respect and civilised behavior. I would never have thought of being so violent towards teachers and parents when I was young, and I was the bad kid in school who got suspended every other week.
I did kick a teacher in the shins once, but that's because she dug her nails into my wrist so hard she drew blood.

Even having said that, I've grown up. I learned. There's people in those rioting mobs who are older and should be wiser than me.

"Time is an illusion; lunchtime, doubly so." - Douglas Adams
McVinster
UKFM Member

Postby cherryblossom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:22 am

Ann, many :clap: :clap: :welldone: :wine: to your daughter, she's done well.

McVinster, I hope I didn't offend you. I've just re-read my post and I don't think it sounds how it was meant to :oops: :roll: ! I think what I meant was that so many people blame the youngsters for all this and I feel that's very unfair as, like you I noticed there were plenty of the older generation doing it too. I was trying to point out that there are plenty of younger people who do have respect for their 'elders' and other people who know that this type of behaviour is wrong, including yourself. And I agree with you and plenty of others on here, some kids don't know the meaning of no and simply must have the 'latest' of everything. We were very poor as children, didn't even have school uniform, and yet we never found the need to harm other people. All these looters and arsonists etc just simply don't give a hoot about anyone, they're just brainless and unkind, altho on the radio earlier I heard of a lady (age unknown) who handed herself in after getting a guilty conscience! At least that's another one who's learnt the difference, let's hope there's more! More respect and manners are needed these days. Whike in DS's sweet shop I'm amazed at the kids who don't even use their p's and q's, it's awful, but some older and 'wiser' adults are the same!! I'll get off my soap box now as this sort of thing makes me so :evil: ! Take care all and hope you have a restful weekend. Cherry :hugs: :blowkiss:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to General Topics