Young People with Fibromyalgia

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Young People with Fibromyalgia

Postby xMandiex » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:02 am

I'm 21, and although I was originally diagnosed at 13, It never really bothered me that much, so I didn't bother staying 'under' a doctor for it. Got re-diagnosed a few weeks back with a new docs surgery, as I finally admitted to myself that I couldn't manage it by myself. I would say at the moment, I'm not as bad as alot of people on here, and I am hoping it stays that way! :fingerscrossed:
xMandiex
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:09 pm

hi mandie,

sorry you have been riddled with this from such a young age. well done for coping so long. :-) :-) :-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby xMandiex » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi animalhouse,

To be honest, it's only started getting bad these past few months, but I consider myself lucky that I don't have it as bad as some people that I have seen on here. You just have to make the best of a bad situation, and adjust to what you can do and what you can't. I'm just relieved to find that I'm not the only one who is as young with it, as most people don't really understand how I can have something as debilitating at times, but hopefully it will become more well known as time goes on, and maybe then people will realise that it is real, and can affect you at all ages.

Take Care,

xMandiex
xMandiex
UKFM Member

Postby AnnalieseJ » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Hey :)
I'm 22, and was only diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 2years ago, after being sick since I was 8..
It's definitely hard being young, but feeling like you should be 90!!

It's nice knowing that you aren't the only one in the same age group with it though :)

xx
AnnalieseJ
UKFM Newbie

Postby xMandiex » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi AnnalieseJ

:welcome:

I know exactly what you mean about being young but feeling like your 90 lol. It seems there are quite a few that have it so young....maybe it's more common in young people than originally thought.......
xMandiex
UKFM Member

Postby S-E » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:31 pm

I'm nearly 25. I've been ill since I was 9. I was diagnosed with ME but all my doctors refer to my condition as fibro and it's the fibro treatments that have been working for me. So I say I have ME/Fibro. I think a lot of people live in the grey area in between and that wont change until they have proper diagnostic blood tests.

I was always vulnerable to illness as a child. I was a very sick baby and they tested me for menengitis twice but never found anything wrong with me. I grew out of it and then when I was 9 I got ghastric flu and my body went nuts.

I've been almost entirely housebound for about 15 years. I'm very isolated and because I never had the opportunity to make friends in school, quite lonely.

I'm surprised at how young everyone here has got the condition. It seems like hitting puberty can be a bit of a catalyst for this. Particularly if you have hypermobility. The sudden growth would put a lot of stress on your body I suppose.
S-E
UKFM Member

Postby Clumsy1 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Hi,
I'm 29, had Fibro, otherwise known as "fred" to me, for 3 years but similarly i may have had it longer than that. I've been to a local support group but found that i was the only one under 50 attending, i stopped going as it just made me feel even more alone. It's good to know there's others out there at a similar age to myself.
Hel
Clumsy1
UKFM Newbie

Young People with Fibromyalgia

Postby Lyssie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Hiya, I'm Lyssie and I'm 23 - was only diagnosed with FM a few months back. It's hard to come to terms with but great that other people can relate to what we are going through... X x x
Lyssie :-) ...xX
Lyssie
UKFM Member

Postby buxbunny » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 am

wow sounds like the same story for many.
22 with FM was dx recently but felt had it since school so about 12.
Was as bad as i'd think something wrong with me but started stomach pains. Then pains i thought growing pains. Looking back it kind makes sense why struggled with gsce didnt manage to complete. Then college which much same. But since 18 it's taking toll for the worse to the point i've attended about 5 weeks in total of this whole uni year. Unfortunately i had no idea there was such conditions as FM/ME/CFS and it would seem neither did my doctors but alot of things make sense after the dx and symptom list.
Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
buxbunny
UKFM Member

Postby CottonSocks » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Hello :-) I am 24 and have been suffering about 3 years, only just getting toward my diagnosis now. X x
CottonSocks
UKFM Member

Postby mohammedej » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Hey,

I am 26 years old, been diagnosed about 3 years ago :cry:
Am working part time now because of my Fibro.

I'm hardly out the house (apart from when I'm at work)

Social life is non existant.

I have got two little girls (3 & 4), bless them, they know when I'm not well, so they'll do their best to help me try to relax and look after me (in their only little way) :-D
mohammedej
UKFM Newbie

Postby simples77 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi all

I believe I had fibromyalgia since childhood I was told it was growing pains.I am now in my 40s and now finding it difficult to walk and they say its not a degenerative condition haha. What I can advise is having a postive frame of mind and try to rule the condition and not let it rule you. If your G.P isn't understanding change them. Good luck to all you young ones :-)
simples77
UKFM Newbie

Postby annablack » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi, I'm 28 with fibro. I was diagnosed this year. I find it a big struggle to deal with a lot of the time. I have trouble even with washing my hair so I have to go to a friends to have it washed :(
annablack
UKFM Member

Postby fionamalkin » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:14 pm

I have found it very interesting reading all the comments you young folk have made about your fibromyalgia, I am 51 years old and was diagnosed about four years ago, compared to other people on this forum I don't think I suffer too badly. Until recently I thought my Fibromyalgia was a fairly recent onset but the more I read the more I am wondering if I have suffered elements of this condition since my childhood, in particular stomach pain, I can remember going to hospital for x-rays, which of course showed nothing.
fionamalkin
UKFM Member

Previous

Return to General Topics