[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Pain on sitting

Pain on sitting

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain on sitting

Postby jrbear44 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi Anyone else have this problem? I have tender areas under both buttocks and find sitting, even for short periods, very painful. Bought a memory foam cushion from a local mobility shop but it makes no difference. :( . Any help would be much appreciated
jrbear44
UKFM Newbie

Postby pauline » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:41 pm

:( Sorry to hear your having problems. I suffer with lower back pain and pain around my buttocks when sitting. My physio told me to ensure that my knees where in line with the bottom of my back when sitting. I use a small foot stool ro raise my legs slightly which does help to relieve the pressure for a short time. I don't know if this will help but it might be worth a try........pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby jrbear44 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:56 pm

Thanks Pauline. Will try and ensure I sit with back and knees level. Already have a footstool but maybe it isn`t quite the right height.
jrbear44
UKFM Newbie

Postby suep » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:29 pm

Hi, I havn't got any good ideas on how to stop this but I just wanted you to know that I have this problem too and share a few coping techniques I use. The pain is in my lower back, right buttock and hip, sitting on a hard chair can bring on a severe flare lasting days, so I always try and sit on a cushion, also don't sit for to long, I usually have to get up and have a walk about every 20 mins or so, sitting at the computer is fatal as it's so easy to lose track of time, so I just try not to sit here for too long. At home I hog the sofa instead of an armchair so that I can lay down instead of sit.
take care
sue x
suep
UKFM Member

Postby Ally » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:53 pm

Ive found that the pain is very similar to sciatica, its niggly and wont stop till u move. Hard chairs are the worst and it reminds me about when i went for physio before my fibro was diagnosed and physio said i needed to straighten my body posture to stop my back pain- when i sit in a straight backed chair or try and walk with a straight back its very painful.
Im 50, my spine likes soft chairs and being able to slump and thats exactly what i will allow it to do if it makes me comfortable for only ten minutes. Sometimes there are just too many cooks stirring the broth an very few if any know wots actually in it.
Ally x

i sound like woolfie smith there, anyone remember him? lol
Ally
UKFM Member

Postby suep » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:47 am

Yes I agree Ally. I thought I had sciatica for years and earlier this year I had an epidural to try and stop the pain, it lasted about 2 weeks. I was then referred back to a Physio who gave me a steriod jab which also didn't work for long :( But the Physio examined my lower back and said the pain isn't nerve pain like Id thought but its the sacriollac joint which is the one that joins the bottom of the spine with the hip, he also told me to keep an eye on my posture. Like you I've had this pain for years and at times I think I'm used to it, but then I'll have a particularly severe flare which reminds me I will never get used to it.
I was prescribed a very low dose of Lyrica recently with the option of increasing the dose if need be. I started at 25mg which didn't do a thing so my GP has increased it to twice a day now so Im on 50mg, and although it's early days, the pain does seem to be a bit easier the last couple of days, it's still there but more of a background ache than extreme burning. i still wont be sitting on any hard chairs though :lol:
sue x
suep
UKFM Member

Postby pauline » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Just had a thought after reading these postings. In bygone days when I used to be a pin cushion and have several injections in various parts of my anatomy (can't have them any more now developed and allergy to cortisone) I remember my GP saying that the pain I felt between my buttock and the top of my leg was in fact bursitis. A bursa is a fluid filled pad that acts as a cushion at a pressure point in the body often near a joint, where a muscle or tendon crosses bone. It becomes inflamed and this causes the pain. I believe It can be bacterial and require antibiotics to clear or, as I did, it can settle with an injection of cortisone. May be worth asking your GP........pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby suep » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:54 am

Thanks Pauline, I had heard of Bursitis before, but didn't realise it needed a/b to treat it. I'll ask about it next time I see either my GP or Rheumi.
sue x
suep
UKFM Member

Postby cat123 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:19 pm

hi just in case you diddent see the tip on another page im repeating this about pain on sitting.buy the thickest sheep skin you can find.cut it in half , one for your easy chair and one on your computer chair.they help with circulation,and pad yer backside.if you have a reclining chair use a full sheepskin underneath you.they wash on a wool wash.dry over a door.ikea sell them.if you cant afford to buy one ,get hold of a second hand sheepskin coat,a large one,cut the back out of it.and while you are at it use the sleeves .open them up,make a roll for inbetween your knees and ankles in bed.if you are anything like me a chair has not been made that i can sit on in comfort.til i tried the sheepskin.
cat123
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics