[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Never thought i would get excited at....

Never thought i would get excited at....

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Never thought i would get excited at....

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:36 pm

Pound shops are fantastic places to pick up some really decent stuff at a magical price :clap: :clap: :clap: We used to have one here, but due to the rates being ludicrous it closed down, much to the disappointment of a lot of people :( :( It was one of the busiest shops in the town centre :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I know they can be a bit hit and miss, and some of the stuff they sell is tat, but there is still a lot of branded stuff at a far better price than the supermarkets and places. I used to get shampoo and conditioner, bath and shower stuff for me, OH and DS. For pens and things for DS and school there wasn't anywhere to beat it. And all sorts of other little things I'd pick up from time to time.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:56 pm

We've a Wilkinsons and Iceland as well, and they're always busy because of their prices and offers. We have a market, but a lot of the fruit and veg on there is more miss than hit :facepalm: :facepalm:

When we were on a very tight budget, several years ago, we got into the habit of going when shops started marking down prices when things were at their sell by/use by dates, as well as rummaging thru the reduced price things and store seconds for fruit and veg, and even now we still have a look what there is :shock: :shock:

The 2nds for fruit and veg can have stuff in there for about half the cost of what it is on the shelves, and usually for twice the amount. Shopping yesterday, we got 10 nectarines for two thirds of what the shelf price was for 5, same with carrots :clap: :clap: :clap:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:45 pm

:lol: :lol: We have a pound land, it opened last yr, i dont go into town very often now as struggle to get around but when i do i always pop in and buy toiletries. :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby cherryblossom » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi. We have a pound shop and a wilkinsons here too. I really wouldn't be without them, it saves me so much money. With pound shop you do have to be aware what you buy but on alot of things it's almost unbeatable and wilkinson is great for something a bit more better quality and for stuff poundland don't do :D . If they both went I don't know where I would go :yikes: as every penny really does count these days.
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby pixiecat » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:57 am

We have a poundland and a poundworld!! so privilidged :lol:
we have a home bargains too that is on a par with the pound shops and wilkinsons, we got one of those as well, thats
the only thing we can brag about in our town, no cinema or proper restaurants to go to, but we got budget shops :mrgreen:

Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby animalhouse » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:46 pm

shopping is my only buzz now and if i can get something for a fractions of the price at the end of the day or with vouchers then it makes something taste even better.

i use www.moneysavingexpert.co.uk and they have loads of vouchers and special offers advertised. don;t know if i am allowed to do this sorry if not. :wink:

tescos great for cheap toys, electrical at the moment but get in quick and the vouchers allow you to get free honey shreddies as at tescos they are 1/2 price for a £1 and there is a £1 voucher on there- guess what my kids are eating for brekky at the moment.

but yuou hae to do what yuou have to do - the other side of fighting for the benefits we deserve is alot of us have very limited budgets at the moment or a fraction of what we were use to.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Linky to moneysavingexpert.co.uk is fine as it's associated with the topic, and has an awful lot of helpful info on it :clap: :clap:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Ldyalb » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:57 pm

When I was in Balham we had to travel on the train to Surrey to get to our nearest Wilkos!! I'm from Lincolnshire, bf is from Staffordshire so we're used to places like that, some Londoners had never even heard of Wilkinsons as there aren't any down there :shock:
It used to have an Iceland but that became an 'As Nature Intended' a few months before we moved down there. They made the local Waitrose look cheap!! £3 for a small bag of carrots, when a kilo of Sainsburys basics carrots were 50p across the road!

We did have an Argos and a 99p store which was very good for some things, you could get decent cleaning products for example. Our drains were dodgy so I used to stock up on Caustic Soda etc, Sainsburys charged around £3-4 for a bottle of one use drain unblocker, we had 3 drains... so around £10. Or I could get a 99p caustic soda which would do all 3 drains :clap: We also got cheap kitchen stuff like a wooden chopping board and a casserole dish which were both absolute bargains.

Savers is good too for conditioner, body lotion etc. I can usually get sun cream for around £4 a bottle there every summer. Would be £11 or thereabouts in Boots or Sainsburys.

Now if only someone could resurrect Woolworths on the High Street then my life would be complete. I lived in Woolworths for the first 2years of my degree, then it went and I was left bereft :cry:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby cherryblossom » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Wow! Isn't it great all these money saving shops??!!
Lorraine, I would be in heaven where you live! My only saving grace is that my house is tiny - my son's new home has a sitting room of 17ft by 17.5ft but my house is only 18ft by 18ft in total so it doesn't give me too much room available! :lol: But we all need to count the pennies! loadsa :hugs: to all.
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:19 pm

We've got Home Bargains as well, along with a B&M Bargains store. B&M is good for doggy pooh bags and doggy treats :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:37 pm

Yeah love these shops too, great bargains to be had absolutely love primarny (primark) and peacocks too :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to General Topics