[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Scores on the doors.

Scores on the doors.

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Scores on the doors.

Postby Persephane » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi All,
Finally gained the courage to read some of the more emotional posts on here, it feels good to not feel alone.
I would like to bring the Scores on the Doors website to the attention of anyone who does not already know about it. www.scoresonthedoors.org.uk
It is the National food hygiene rating system, Councils inspect all establishments that supply food to the public, they have a scoring system of 0 to 5 stars. So you can check out your local eateries etc and see if the food you eat is safe.
This may sound like just a casual idea, that might not be worth a second thought, so here are my reasons and why I now find this forum so needed.
In August 2010 i treated myself to a chinese take away, the same take away we had used for years, but at that time I knew nothing of scores on the doors. Well to keep the story short I ended up with the Spanish Salmonella, (was deadly to a lot of people). After 2 weeks of being ill and not eating, I started to improve only to have a rare complication. Its called reactive arthritus, basically the imune system attacks the joints. I am told the above is what caused my Fibromyalgia.
Due to the Salmonella, the take away in question was inspected and gained the wonderfull score of 0, If I had know it was that bad I wouldn't of eaten from there and would still have my life. So you can see I don't want anyone else to suffer, I want people to be aware. I have tried my local council and M.P,s trying to make more people aware, but they don't seem to want to know.
Giving people this information, has helped me to cope over the past year, the rest of my story can wait, its just nice to finally get involved and send "hugs" to you all.
Gill.
Persephane
UKFM Member

Re: Scores on the doors.

Postby shelleydwales » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi there :welcome: i will definitely check that out! Sorry to hear about what happend to you,hope they got closed down!
I will look forward to findingout more about you :flowers:
Shell xxxx

Tomorrow is another day....be brave and smile :-)
shelleydwales
UKFM Member

Postby Persephane » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:25 pm

Thank you for your kind reply :hugs: Unfortunatly take aways tend not to be shut down, they are assisted in improving. It seems very wrong, I know of Restaurants that have been closed and taken to court for a bit of mouldy food, but no members of the public were affected. From the inspectors report you would think the inspector would be disgusted at what he found in the take away, yet they never stopped serving.
Another side to it is that normally you have no proof of even having a take away meal, so you have no come back :banghead: :hit1:
I presume that if i had not recovered they would still of got away scot free.
We should be more aware, so we can at least make an informed choice, I dont want to scare people, i do still have the odd take away but im more carefull.
GIll
Persephane
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:37 pm

I'm sure this will be very interesting to some people Gill, altho finding out that what you thought was a decent take away place isn't really could be rather :shock: :shock: :shock: :(

Sorry to hear what you've been thru, it's a pity we can't identify the exact trigger for our FM, only speculate :( :( :( It is thought that a car accident that left me with a broken neck was the initial trigger, with different things over the following years adding more and more until it finally floored me :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Altho you have mentioned a little about yourself already, if you want to make a post in "Where To Say Hello" to introduce yourself, it would be great to :welcome: you to the forum :wave: :wave: :wave:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:59 pm

Great heads up on that site :)

Before I went Veggie I worked at a small, independent Butcher's shop. One of my duties was to 'de-mould' the cheese - yup, cutting the bits of mould up and popping it back in the cabinet for re-sale... luckily not many people did buy cheese from there. I once had to throw away £400's worth of cheese because someone knocked a jar of pickled onions into the display and it smashed! I used to hate selling any cheese to anyone as I would never know if someone else had de-moulded and if it would make them sick :(

Also their 'free range eggs' were Battery eggs and their 'organic' meat was usually not organic either. Once the organic chicken fillets had sold out another job of mine was to butcher the standard chickens and place their chicken fillets under the 'organic' label. They charged £5.99 for a small free range chicken, £8.99 for a large one and SEVENTEEN pounds for an 'organic' one. And people actually paid!! (it was a posh part of SW London, but still £17 for a chicken!?! Who has that kind of money nowadays!)

I've just seen on there that they don't have a great rating - I'm not surprised. After work on a Sunday when management wasn't there (the owner threw knives at people, he once threw several massive trays worth of clean knives on to the meaty floor, right in a pile of blood because I'd proved him wrong that the butter knife was in fact lost as I had told him. It took me two hours to wash up again. One of my colleagues left after being punched in the face and having a knife thrown at him) we used to have a cheeky drink in the butchers area. I would just have a small JD and Coke but the other 3 people who worked there were heavy smokers (and yes they smoked on premises around the food, and when smoking outside they wore their butchering clothes) and they would sit on the butchers blocks, shoes and all and smoke. And this was AFTER the blocks were cleaned.

I am going to look up everywhere I eat now, power to the consumer! :D
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby cherryblossom » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Very interesting! Our council print their findings every year based on the 'scores on the doors' type thing. I was amazed to find that some dingy looking cafe in our town was, in fact, the only eating place in the whole town that came away with a 5!! :shock: :shock: . Also, as Ldyalb was writing about cheese it made me remember this. You know the 'plastic' cheese you can buy to put in your burger in buns at your bbq, the slices? Well, I never knew but there's a factory near us where all the unsold cheeses from supermarkets etc go to. There they are 'trimmed' as ldyalb puts it, then processed by some sort of method that I can only understand as mixing all the cheeses together and re-processing it into those little slices! I have to say it did put me off rather and believe me, being a farmer for most of my life it really takes alot to put me off my food! Anyway, it's all interesting food for thought! Take care. Cherry x
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics