HR or recruiters?

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

HR or recruiters?

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Just wondering if anybody is one?

Looking for advice or critique for a cover letter, family tend to do just check spelling and grammar and they don't really have experience of the hiring staff anyway. It's just an other job I love the sounds of and should give a good career so really want to make an effort from it.

I received feedback from one application saying that I didn't highlight my transferable skills enough, which is helping me but also knocked the small amount of confidence I had.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Re: HR or recruiters?

Postby denys » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Russ sorry I'm not able to help with the skills but wanted to say :goodluck1: and dont let things knock you back keep your chin up and keep trying :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi Ross.

You're in luck. I've done both Recruitment (Investment Banking) and HR.

I'm by no means an expert but I'm happy to review your CV and Cover letter and see if any issues stand out to me. My Recruitment experience is agency so I mainly dealt with CVs, rather than cover letters but I've applied for loads of jobs since I graduated in '09.

Generally you need to make sure your CV is nice and easy to read. Keep important info near the top, when I was scanning databases I wanted to see CVs which jumped out at me. I didn't want to have to scroll down several pages before I found out what that person's last job was for example.

With the Cover Letter you want to keep it reasonably brief (about a side of A4 max). Sell yourself and your key skills, demonstrate that you have an understanding of what the job involves, why you want it and what attracts you to the company itself.

Feel free to message me if you want me to review the actual letter for you though :-)
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Lydalb, thanks, going to have a look at it again. See if I can improve of anything.

I understand the whole having to stand issue. Being from a designer background I created a very simple letter heading. Hoping to create myself a bit of a brand and an identity. Idea was when looking through piles of CV's mine would stand out against people that just had plain text and would be something to remember. I'm not quite sure how this translates on computer and files, but for printed applications I've been told it's a good idea and my "design" wasn't too over the top or ostentatious.

When doing a cover letter I always try and think of the person or job specification as questions that need to be answered, and then try and answer them with relevance to myself.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:44 pm

Sounds good to me :-)

I did briefly (i.e. for 3 days) go through the CVs and portfolios for jobs involving design which naturally differed from those of investment bankers quite a bit. They needed something which showcased their creativity and which stood out - but it also needed to be easy to read. Some were truly stunning works of art. One even had to be untied! Most did look better as hard copies, but most did still look very impressive as a PDF file etc. So make sure you don't use ridiculous fonts, or really small fonts (my personal bugbear) and it should be fine - they were the main issues I had. Also, no bright orange patches :shock: one was really, really orange. I needed to take a rest break after looking at it on my screen. Ouch!

Good luck!

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:59 pm

I manned up and just sent it! :fingerscrossed:
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:29 pm

:goodluck2:

Well done, let us know how you get on :fingerscrossed: you get an interview :-)

Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics