buying a new bed_ advice

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

buying a new bed_ advice

Postby sops » Mon May 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi i need to buy a new bed. Having fibro I wondered if anyone can say if they have recently done this and what sort did you find very comfortable. Need to relieve the pressure points and support my back. Any suggestions?
sops
UKFM Newbie

Re: buying a new bed_ advice

Postby shazq » Mon May 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi
I have one of the electric beds, i have not got a memory mattress but the mattress is very thick and comfy so went for a memory foam topper. The bed lifts up at the top and bottom which help if you have swelling in your legs, it also helps getting out of bed in the mornings if you raise the top up. :-D
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Flora1966 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:43 pm

I would love an electric bed, it would make life a lot more easier for me but they are to expensive.... :cry: I may buy a memory foam mattress topper instead....

Jules x
Flora1966
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Mon May 21, 2012 7:53 pm

would suggest you have a very good and long try i.e take off your shoes, put on warm socks, take the snuggle etc
you don't have to do a sleep over at the shop but really test them out :sleep:

you will spend a lot of money and this bed should last for some years
and don't feel obliged to buy at your fist visit :nono:

might be good to let the sales person know, so they know you are a potential buyer not a wiredo :crazy:
who pops in every other day for a cat nap :dogchasecat1:

lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Tue May 22, 2012 3:06 pm

Flora1966 wrote:I would love an electric bed, it would make life a lot more easier for me but they are to expensive.... :cry: I may buy a memory foam mattress topper instead....

Jules x

Memory foam topper are good, you can buy them cheaper online, do a shop search and the cheapest will come up but the thickest you buy the better they are, they do help to relieve the stiffness.
It did take me a long time to save for my bed, i got it in the sale from Tesco on line shop but i wish i knew at the time i could have claimed the VAT back being disabled. :evil:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Flora1966 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:36 pm

I know you can buy a bed vat free if you are disabled..I have been disabled for 7yrs through and accident and I get my equipment etc vat free....
I know you can get a single adjustable bed and also a kingsize...Is a kingsize what we would call a double for a normal bed???

Jules x
Flora1966
UKFM Member

Postby jaynebennett » Thu May 24, 2012 10:43 pm

Please look for the new 'cool toppers' or mattresses in the temper pedic materials (memory foam) The original causes some people to feel like their skin is burning. This is because the originals can cause perspiration to rub against the skin. The new cool ones have extra topping of cotton or "cool zones' built into the mattress/topper, I have tried to put cotton on top myself but it does not help enough. yep they vary in ££ some toppers are too thin, they dont hold well on the bed, some dont have covers - trust me, putting your own cover over does not help. try n get thicker with cover and air zones or label cool on your topper or mattress.

I wish someone had advised me to be aware of this factor before I made my ££ purchases!

Also allow the temper pedic topper (memory foam) or mattress with same, to air somewhere other than where you sleep, just for a few days. It is worth it to remove the chemicals into air you dont breathe along with the smell that goes after a few days. some say it is not harmful yet the suppliers advise it!

It is worth the air time as you can not beat the comfort of tempur pedec memory foam providing you get the cool zones or cool topper.

Lastly the pillows are great, air them a while too. some cheaper ones have broken filling inside with smooth outer shell but you can feel the broken contents that is why they are cheaper. Better to get ones that are breathable as you can pespire more with others and feel the pillow it should feel heavy (it flexes in use) you should not feel lumps when grabbed. Try before u buy unless its branded.

happy z z z z everyone!
kind regards jayne
Last edited by jaynebennett on Fri May 25, 2012 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
jaynebennett
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Lisa* » Thu May 24, 2012 11:26 pm

I couldnt be without my thick memory foam topper! :-D
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby buxbunny » Tue May 29, 2012 8:07 am

Just topic i needed

My bed been broken for last 12 months or so but haven't had funds to replace it.

I bought memory foam bed but partner also complains about morning stiffness so not just me.

Any recomdations for me as i can't currently leave house to go to dreams showrooms who btw seem to have a never ending sale that is always ending monday.

Also i am quite confused as to what topper does.
Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
buxbunny
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Get the best memory foam mattress you can.

I got mine from Ergoflex. Google and read about it. There's surprisingly more to memory foam that just a bit of foam. For example:

LD stands for Indentation Load Deflection. In simple terms it is a measurement of how hard or soft a foam is. In more accurate terms it's the number of pounds of pressure required to indent 4" of foam by 25% using a 50 square inch indentation. You may also see it referred to as the 25% ILD rating

Before my memory foam mattress I would wake up countless times per night and in the morning i would feel as if a truck had run over me. 1 inch Foam toppers are nothing compared to a really deep memory foam mattress. There's just no way a topper can mould to your shape and support every part of your body all night.. so supported, your body is evenly pressured all over ensuring that you don't move around in your sleep because bits of you are hurting. No movement means a deeper more healing sleep and many more dreams.

Look upon your bed as being a place where you should be getting 8 hours of healing therapy per night and don't compromise.

There are five things i thank God for every day.

1. That I can drive.
2. That i gave up smoking
3. That i have a Vax Mach air vacuum cleaner
4. That i have an Ergoflex memory foam mattress - double size. :-)
5. That i have one of those extendible grab things for picking stuff up. Housework is now a lot more pleasurable.

Anyhow, I've had my mattress for two years now and I have no idea how i existed without one. Also I think you can get the vat back on an Ergoflex if your disabled.

Bella X

P.s. My cat and dog love it too.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby buxbunny » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:55 pm

I've decided to go for Egroflex and some bed frame from dreams.

How do you get the VAT back? Is it just beds or other stuff?
Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
buxbunny
UKFM Member

Postby sops » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks for all your replies, now ordered lovely bed, very comfy in shop, spent 2 days trying them all out, let's hope it's as good when I sleep on it properly. X
sops
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:33 pm

:goodluck1:
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby fibro-lu » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:16 pm

sops wrote:Thanks for all your replies, now ordered lovely bed, very comfy in shop, spent 2 days trying them all out, let's hope it's as good when I sleep on it properly. X

and?
now after six weeks or so on sleeping on it?
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby thomas92 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:12 pm

I've got a memory foam topper as well. I think it's doing the job pretty well.

shazq wrote:Hi
I have one of the electric beds, i have not got a memory mattress but the mattress is very thick and comfy so went for a memory foam topper. The bed lifts up at the top and bottom which help if you have swelling in your legs, it also helps getting out of bed in the mornings if you raise the top up. :-D

Vat free.. Hmm I didn't know about that. I'll surely look into it. Thank you so much, Jules!

Flora1966 wrote:I know you can buy a bed vat free if you are disabled..I have been disabled for 7yrs through and accident and I get my equipment etc vat free....
I know you can get a single adjustable bed and also a kingsize...Is a kingsize what we would call a double for a normal bed???

Jules x
thomas92
UKFM Newbie

Next

Return to General Topics