[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - RESEARCH ON FIBROMYALGIA

RESEARCH ON FIBROMYALGIA

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

RESEARCH ON FIBROMYALGIA

Postby lil-burkie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:10 am

Hi everyone I am doing my disertation on fibromyalgia and was wondering what area i should research as i am stumped coming up with a research question and hypothesis as the illness is so widespread. any ideas would be very grateful

thanks laura xx :lol:
lil-burkie
UKFM Member

Re: RESEARCH ON FIBROMYALGIA

Postby TATT » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 am

Not sure if this is what you want/need

For me it's a pain condition that apparently manifests itself from the central nervous system. It really does feel like my internal circuit board exploded and their are loads of unconnected wires thrashing around.

As they connect they cause this pain then they thrash somewhere else and cause that pain. Anyway forgot your question now haha
Just my dementia kicking in.

Good luck with your work x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:01 am

What about the cause of FM laura, maybe something along the lines of seeing how much of FM is caused by physical factors, such as car accidents, operations etc, how much may have come from psychological factors, and whether the 2 start to intertwine at the onset of FM , or do that afterwards???

Do you need to come up with a definitive yes or no answer for your dissertation based on your research??

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby alikat1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:10 am

Hi Laura!

Firstly, wow. What a subject to do your dissertation on.

For me, I have come across a lot of interesting information about FM and the connection to Myofascial pain.

If you google Devin Starnlyl - she has done a lot of research...and for the first time FM made sense.

From what I can gather, FM symptoms have been lumped together with the outcome of myofascial trigger points...you should see the list of symptoms! And basically, if these trigger points are not properly treated, then the FM will never go away.

It makes sense to me anyways.(not that I can find anybody to do the trigger point work required...and what I have found that is close will cost me hundreds of pounds...).

As well, the fact that it is a neurological disorder...even though currently, it is rheumatologists who 'deal with it' (not that most are able to provide very much assistance). Research has found that FM has to also do with Substance P in our spinal fluid.

I think one of the biggest frustrations that most of us have with FM is that most of our doctors tend to know less about it than quite a few of us who have done our research. In essence, we have become our own doctors...requesting medications that the GP never knew would be used on FM. As well, once diagnosed with FM, when we go for a complaint to our doctors about pretty much anything, it is all lumped in by them as being part of FM. Which to me, is scary. (Lumped in meaning you complain about something bothering you and many doctors don't even bother to LOOK/touch the area you are discussing...they just say 'fibro'. No testing either. Which to me, is scary. But welcome to the world of budget cuts...
Plus many of us feel like hypochondriacs asking for meds, discussing new pains/issues and are concerned our doctors may feel the same way about us. It is a very fine line.

Ultimately, we just want relief in regards to the symptoms...whatever it is causing them.

If you need any further help, please feel free to contact me at alyssa.savage@hotmail.co.uk I certainly don't profess to knowing a massive amount -perhaps a bit more than some. But I certainly can point you in the right direction for information if that helps.

A.

Sent from my MID_Serials using Tapatalk 2
alikat1
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:22 am

that is such a good idea, i am starting ou in sept/oct and have been worrying aobut donig the work but am fascinated by what, when, why etc so you have inspired me to link what information i have to my studies and use the knowledge positively.

i think as above said we do become our own dr/nurse etc.

there is also impact of chronic conditions such as fibro on a family unit - kids, oh as when as paitent learning to deal, accept, change family dynamics etc.

i know whilst i spend hours researching etc and try and fathom this out and adapt i get upset with my family and know i am probably hard on them but in hindsight they are just a few steps behind me.

or as someone said they are scared facing up to the changes it has on us all and me their mother the matriarch of the family.

not meaning to blow my trumpet but you see what i mean.

coping as wiht any illness is the hardes to do mentally/physically as the long term battle gets everyone down.
:-D :-D

sorry to waffle couldn't think of anything else but am happpy to contribute and be a uinea pig answering any questions when you decide, good luck.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby lil-burkie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:30 am

lil-burkie
UKFM Member

Postby lil-burkie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:43 am

hi everyone

i was thinking something along the lines of what symptom is the worst for fm suffers and whether this changes the longer you have the illness or the idea that fibro effects people physically more than mentally or whether they combine to make it a vicious circle ? what do people think ?

laura xx
lil-burkie
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:51 am

thats a really good one as no sooner do you get use to something, you have waited 3 -6months for treatment such as hydrotherapy or cbt you then have something else more prominent, especially because of change in weather and different times of year.

:-D

also even though we are suffering i get fed up of my only outings in life are to drs appmts etc and with oh having limited time to take me to things there is no time for social interactions. yor time is consumed by making that symtom better.

almost like you get fed u pof abeing a fulltime patient and need something else in life hobby/interest.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics