informtion on benefits

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

informtion on benefits

Postby shaz » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:44 pm

can someone tell me if i need to tell my housing benefit people that i have just been awarded low rate personal care and high rate help getting around from the dla. i live in a private rented house with myself and my 2 kids age 9 and 15. i claim incapitiy benefit and do get help from housing benefit. i only have to pay 2.60p a week towards my rent at the min and 30.00 a year towards my council tax. because i get dla now will i have to pay more towards my rent. and do i need to inform the benefit people i realy dont know what i should do. thanks shaz
shaz
UKFM Member

Postby suep » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:32 pm

Im not 100% sure Shaz but I wouldnt have thought so, thats money for your care, not to pay the rent with.
sue
suep
UKFM Member

benefits

Postby lynndy-lou » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:17 pm

Yes you have to tell them, I am positive that this benefit is not counted when they work out your housing benefit but you have to tell them. Also I think it may entitle you to more housing benefit and council tax benefit.
lynndy-lou
UKFM Member

Postby rae » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:46 am

Yes you have to tell them, but its NOT taken into account. I get DLA for my 2 children and have just finally filled housing benefit forms out this weekend.
rae
UKFM Member

Postby cinders » Thu May 01, 2008 9:55 pm

When i first recieved DLA i enquired about any other benefits i might be entitled to. I was told that if i rented my house from the council that my rent would be free. Unfortunately i wasn't entitled to any extra help as we are buying our house so didn't get any extra help as we have a mortgage. It might be worth asking about as you might get a all of your rent paid for you. Also you might not have to pay any council tax.

And yes you have to tell them of your benefit.

Take care
Janex
cinders
UKFM Member

help

Postby princess » Fri May 02, 2008 10:25 am

Hi

If you contact Citizens Advice and ask for a home visit they will take you through all you need to do.
They give great advice
DLA sounds about right for your condition.
Hope your having a better day
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby Clare » Fri May 09, 2008 12:09 pm

I receive the same benefits as you, HR care and LR mobility along with Incap Benefit. I also have two children under 16. If you are a single parent who is not working you will also be entitled to Income Support as a top up now you are entitled to DLA. That would give you full HB and council tax benefit

As for HB. You do need to notify them that you are in receipt of it but they definately don't count it when working out what you need to pay. They only take into account your IB but if you are in recipt of IS then it's a full award.
Clare
UKFM Newbie

Return to General Topics