Read me!

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Read me!

Postby CHIPBONE » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:23 am

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I should be here, but keep with it, as it is a rather long text.

I am a 41 year old male, who up until two years ago, was very active (black belt kickboxing). Anyhow, two years ago I started to suffer a terrible pain in my left shoulder joint and surrounding areas. The doctors were very textbook, and over the next year gave me three steroid injections into the area, and I was told "This will sort you out" – it didn't. During that first year I also had frequent hip and wrist/hand pain, and as a result I had to give up kickboxing. I started to pile on the pounds as I loafed around waiting for exploratory surgery. My doctor suggested that maybe I could get some exercise by cycling. Sounded good, low impact and all that, so I bought a bike and started trekking along some wonderful paths through Epping Forest. About summer 2007, I started getting some serious elbow pain, during and after bike riding, and this never seemed to go away. November 2007, I noticed a golf ball sized swelling to the side of my neck, it didn't hurt, but it shouldn't be there, so back to the doctors once again. I also had to stop riding my bike, as the elbow was unbearable.

Over the Christmas break, things started to get even weirder. First my feet became sore, felt swollen, but didn't look it. My right hip joint hurt in the buttock area, and then my calf muscles became horrendously painful, contracting when they were not supposed to, and basically just doing what the hell they felt like.

Fast-forward to April 2008, and things are getting worse. I have recently been given some medication to help me sleep, as a good nights sleep has now become a thing of the past. My legs constantly move throughout the night, and on occasions I have woke with bruises on my ankles and shins, as a direct result of my leg movements. The right elbow is a constant pain, which varies day to day, but at its worse, the inside bone area (elbow joint) seems to go rock-hard, stiff and you guessed it, painful. Brain fog seems to blight my days now and again, and the lower back muscles have recently started to spasm, Oh, and lets not forget the never-ending skin itch/burn.

All the problems I have mentioned have remained with me since their arrival, but the worst pain is in the calf muscles. It is relentless. I walk like my Nan used to, and she was over ninety years old, with a false hip, that was one size to small because the hospital didn't have the correct size (true story). Last week I was hobbling around my local supermarket, and I felt the calf's becoming heavy and tight, so I slowed down even more. It was pointless, because they contracted anyway, and I pulled to a painful stop, and then burst out crying because of the pain and the depressed feeling of not being who I used to be. This was the point that I went back to my doctor, and asked for something, anything, to help deal with some of the symptoms I was suffering.

My doctor said she thinks it's Fibromyalgia, and I have an appointment next week with a Rheumatologist (not sure if that’s spelt right), so fingers crossed.

So to my question, does any of this sound familiar? As an official diagnosis is still on the far horizon, and want to know if I'm heading in the right direction. My doctor asked me how I felt when the legs packed up in the supermarket, and I felt rather stupid saying it, but I told her "I felt lonely". Does that ring true for anyone else? I would also like to know if anyone else has had a soft lump – golf ball size – on the neck area.

Does this sound like Fibromyalgia?

I almost forgot to mention that feeling of having the plugs pulled, and a constant sore throat, which is actually giving me some slight problems with swallowing at the moment

If you got this far, I thank-you, and keep up the good work.

Work, now there's another problem worthy of another lengthy letter.

Any reply, about any of this letter, will be gratefully received. Thanks.
CHIPBONE
UKFM Newbie

Postby Looby Lou » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi, you poor thing , yes it is so very familiar,even the golf ball lump, which I haven't experienced could be your lymph glands being affected by the fibro, it gets you in so many different places. I can relate to all the other things you've said, especialy the elbows and I experience the muscle pain like your calf muscle pain but in my arms. It is as though they have been pulled off, had someone jump up and down on them or beat them off a wall then stuck them back on!
I've been to a couple of local fibro meetings and the thing that amazed me was that we all seem to have the same 'walk', more like a shuffling waddle!
It does reduce us to tears I'm sure you'll have read on these boards how bad people can get - I have cried from the relentless pain from the end bit of my little finger, so bad that I thought about getting the secataurs and chopping it off but then realised I'd just get phantom pains from it so i can't win! But we all come on here, have a good moan and struggle on again. It's good that we can do that.
Hope you get some relief soon. take care!
Looby Lou
UKFM Member

Postby claire edwards » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:27 pm

hiya chipbone

You are far from alone, i think in some ways we can all relate to your story!

welcome to the forum, good luck with the rheumatologist, i have all the problems you mentioned, i dont have a swollen neck but i do have difficulty with the throat as well.

Please feel free to visit the site and moan as and when you want to as there is always someone to help.

take care
claire
x
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it would be good to hear from people as a form of support and to support.
claire edwards
UKFM Member

Postby rae » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:48 am

All sounds very familiar here too (except the lump)
At least on here you know peeople understand and you dont have to explain or defend yourself
rae
UKFM Member

Postby LADYB » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:45 am

you put it so well..............most def sounds familiar, i wish you luck with the reumy..... toay I'm havng a bad day my neck/shoulder is so painful I am having to support it the whole time, all i can do is lay down with a pillow feel really fed up, my wrist and forearm is also hurting and the lower back, my sister told me yesterday its not a chronic illness you have, you are playing on it....I wish just for a day she could feel how I feel......and tell me then its not chronic......still waiting to hear on my bluebadge....anyday now x
LADYB
UKFM Member

reading my own post

Postby wendysz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:05 pm

Hey Chipbone your post is like reading my own many moons ago, its a swine this Fibro, but as I keep saying, and I know its hard but you have to keep really positive else it will take over, I named mine and tell him to p###s off now and again, hey you gotta laugh.
All the symptoms you have I think we all have , but you better get that lump checked out.
Good luck with the Rheamatologist, most of the time they are understanding (Mine have been) If you are diagnosed make sure you ask them about any physio courses your hospital do, and a support group as mine is a great help.
wendysz
UKFM Member

Postby cazh » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:26 pm

hi ya. sounds just like all the pains i get, i also have a soft lump but mine is on the inside of my arm at the elbow. seen doc about it he says its nothing to worry about.
cazh
UKFM Member

Postby cinders » Thu May 01, 2008 9:46 pm

All your aches and pains sound familiar to me too. :( i Suffer all of what you have mentioned. I don't have a lump on my neck but i do have one above my bellybutton and to the left. It is aboput the size of a golf ball. The doctor said it was all to do with the FMS. :? Then again everything i suffer from seems to be linked to FMS. Migraine,Allergies,IBS, Excema, as well as the usual aches pains burning and tender spots.This is such a strange illness. :roll:
Take care
Janex :D
cinders
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics