[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Please can you help with flu jab info?

Please can you help with flu jab info?

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby moomoos » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi, I'm new, just been diagnosed with FM just before Christmas. Got a letter today from docs saying that I'm being offered a flu jab as my notes show I have a chronic condition.

I'v never had a flu jab before and dont know what to expect now with the FM and flu jab etc etc etc. Feel a bit scared to be honest. What do others think about getting a flu jab, what are the effects etc...

Thank you
moomoos
UKFM Member

Re: Please can you help with flu jab info?

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:33 pm

Obviously for medical advice you should first discuss your concerns with you GP or another medical person .All folk on here can give is details of thier own experience

However from my own experience this is the first year I've got the flu jab , I got it in a high street chemist as I wasn't allowed it under the NHS.
I don't think it did me any harm although I did feel a little more run down for a few weeks afterwards but nothing very much. I have however been the only one in the house not to come down with some sort of winter bug so that has been a great improvement as I ususally get something over the winter and tend to be flattened by it.

Over all then I think it was a good thing to do and one I would repeat next year.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby shazq » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi
I have been having the flu jab every yr since it started as have other health conditions as well as fibro, the jab has no side affects on me & i have not had flu for yrs.

I do get symptoms like i am going to come down with a cold but it does not go any further than that.

Catching flu on top of fibro can leave you ill for weeks, it will take you much longer to recover.

If you are worried have a word with your nurse first. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby moomoos » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 am

Thanks both of you, I have appt with doc for Monday to speak to him about it.
moomoos
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:30 pm

I have the flu jab every year so my advice would be to accept it as getting a full blown dose of the flu is something to be avoided at all costs :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Morgana » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:44 pm

I have the flu jab and I have had the pneumonia jab... now I have B12 jabs... Lucky I don't mind needles!

Flu jab makes my arm swell and hurt every time I have it; takes a week to go down but I wouldn't not have it as I get Tracheitis every time I get a cold - can't imagine what the flu would do!
Morgana
UKFM Member

Location: A filing cabinet in Hell... or at least that's what it feels like!

Postby SharonL42 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:44 pm

The flu jab contains an inactive form of the virus so it can't cause any flu like side effects. Those who feel unwell were probably coming down with something b4 they had th jab. It may cause a sore, swollen arm though.

I'm a paediatric nurse so have a flu jab from my NHS trust each year....if you can get one...do

Sharon xxx

Keep Smiling :-)
Keep Smiling :)
SharonL42
UKFM Member

Postby jennthefunkyranger » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:46 pm

I get a flu jab on the NHS as I'm also asthmatic, so with that and fibro I dread to think what would happen if I got flu!

My arm was sore for a week or so, with a big red mark over it, and not just where the jab had gone in, but I went and had it checked by the practice nurse who assured me it was all okay.
jennthefunkyranger
UKFM Member

Postby moomoos » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:31 pm

thanks all for your replies. i went to see the doctor about this and he said it had been sent out in error as flu wouldnt affect a person with fibromyalgia any different to a person who does not have fibromyalgia. the receptionists were especially rude about it and looked at me as tho i was mad for even asking if it was because i had been diagnosed with fibromyalgia that i had been sent a letter in the first place about a flu jab. strange that i was sent a letter saying i needed a flu jab as i now have a chronic condition, then say it was sent out in error.

but thanks again for your replies x
moomoos
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics