[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Men with fibro

Men with fibro

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Men with fibro

Postby andycrazy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Thank goodness there are some men with fibro, I was beginning to think we were few and far between. I am 52 and have had aches and pains nearly all my life, it was put down to growing pains in my teens. Every year since my late twenties it has been getting worse and now good days are few and far between. I,ve had to stop working since jan last year and it took until march this year to diagnose me. I harldy sleep, some nights I dont even bother to go to bed as the pain and my mind going around and around keep me from sleeping.

I too used to have a very active life, I used to tour on my motorcycle and became a qualified rescue diver. Now I cant do any of it, I have had to sell all my dive kit, my boat I used to sail though I am still hanging onto the bike as firo is not going to take everything from me. I too have found that people without the condition do not believe me when I tell them I cant do this or that due to pain and exhaustion. They think I am just getting lazy in my old age! I have been particularly bad for the last week, it has taken me seven days to get to the doctors for some more amitriptylene as I have had to go up to 50mg a night as well as 100mg tramadol and paracetamol to try to get some sleep. I walked 1/2 mile to the doctors yesterday and I know about it today. Does anyone else get really confused in a morning? It takes me a while to work out what day it is when I wake if I have been asleep.

Still it is good to now know there are other men with this condition. Keep smiling one day you might be pain free!! :-D :-D
andycrazy
UKFM Member

Postby rich44 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi I'm 38 (just) and had FM since 2003 after a 3 week stay in hospital with severe glandular fever.

I've slowly bern getting worse, tried all the usual stuff pregabalin, antidepressants, tramadol. I'm currently taking high strength Co-codamol 4 times a day which don't stop the pain but does mean I can get up.

I've just recently gotten very ill, spent 4 days in hospital with severe abdominal pains all they looked for was appendicitis then discharged.

I can't walk far anymore and most of the time use a walking stick.

I'm at home now not been put of bed much in past 2 weeks as when I do my gut pain gets much worse. I've had an ultrasound and am waiting on CT scan and endoscopy as they don't have a clue what's wrong with me again (sound familiar?).

I'm terrified that they're going to say it's linked to your FM and this is you now as I only eat once a day and get up for about 2 hours a day.

I'm on dihydrocodeine 4 times a day but I'm going back to GP to demand something stronger as I can't live like this.

I'm signed off now till December because of this new illness

Devastated I have 2 lovely boys 5 & 7 very hard not being able to join in their games.

I even had to buy a new car this summer as couldn't face gear changes anymore.

Nice to know I'm not the only person out there in this state.

Richard

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1
rich44
UKFM Member

Postby roxichik » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm not sure how you will relate to this but here goes......Mr Morgan Freeman suffers from FM and has done for a long time.
Thinking about it, he talks a lot in his brilliant films but never really moves much lol xx
roxichik
UKFM Member

Postby robbiecramp » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi fellow members I am very new here and this is my first post. I have had aches and pains for a number of months but over xmas had the most lot of pain I have ever experienced in my life. my mum who sadly passed away in 2008 had fibro with multiple sclerosis and suffered a great deal with it. I have found myself off work as work as a Support Worker doing transitional work so always out and about using public transport, and at moment am tired all time which has happened since September and nearly cost me my job. but also now have severe pain in my legs that make it really difficult to work especially long distances without pain and aches and have to do it very slowly (got soaked today decided to rain where no where to hide under.) I have been put on 30mg nefopam and 10mg amitriptyline as just started seeing doctor, but the most annoying thing is may have to finish work altogether if this pain doesn't settle down. anyone got any ideas on what I should do or how long the process is of being diagnosed
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bit of punctuation added for easier reading.
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Postby fletch » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi welcome to the forum

I've had to stop working because of the pain I would do a small job but then suffer pain and cramps plus other problems for weeks and it just got worse and worse until I was in tears because unable to carry on.

I don't want to give you any help on working or not that decision is up to you but it's a hard one

One thing I will say is it was getting dangerous for me and others for me to carry on working
fletch
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:26 pm

:welcome: to the men's part of the forum robbie :cow-wave: :cow-wave: This isn't an area us females venture into very often, it's a bit like a shed, one of those special places for you males to discuss matters affecting and bothering you. With you asking some questions tho, I thought I'd be brave and venture in to see if I can give you some possible answers :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

Sorry to hear how things are for you and the impact it is having on your working life. I know this is far easier said than done, but at the moment you need to focus on the now and trying to find what might help you get things a little more under control, and try not to let the thoughts about the possibility of having to finish work take over. It is possible to continue working with FM and other similar conditions, as in a good number of instances, with some adaptations, the job can be made more suitable for the employee.

The answer to how long it can take to get a dx is as difficult to come up with as the answer to the question "How long is a piece of string??" It all comes down to the people who are involved in the process unfortunately. If you're lucky, and get decent people all along the way, it can be relatively quick. However, there are still many "healthcare professionals" who are dismissive of FM as a bone~fide condition, and should there be some of them involved in the process, it can take a lot longer to get those answers.

When asked what might help with the dx~ing process, there are a few things you can do to help with creating that overall picture of how you are affected. Making a list of your symptoms is a good place to start from. If you print up some info from a reputable, indisputable source such as that can be used as your starting point.

You could also have a bit of a looky at some of the stuff on here as well. Whilst the major aspects of the condition tend to be known, there are a number of problems and symptoms that can also be associated with FM that are often taken as random, seperate issues. Also, keeping a diary over a period of time can help with showing potential patterns, triggers etc. And mentioning that your mum had FM could be helpful as there are a good number of reports about several relatives in family groups having FM, which could suggest some sort of genetic link.

When you've got things together, go and see your GP and see what they have to say. If they are open to the idea of FM and/or other similar conditions, hopefully it will start off the first steps towards getting a dx :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2: :goodluck2:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby painprincess1 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:26 pm

I'd like to say why I agree from a mans point of view being the one who wants to work for his family and growing up being told that's a mans job, it's really don't matter what sex you are it's hurts us all, it's no picnic knowing other mums are running around taking there kids here there and everywhere being super fit and a goddess in the bedroom when us mums with fibro think we have done well to get the kids to school on time.we feel as worthless as a mum and women as u do a man.
And yes I no where no worthless no one here is but we all feel the same things, we all wonder what tomorrow brings,and if we are single if there's anyone out there who would wanna live with someone InPain 24 7.
Just sayin xxxxxxxxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby robbiecramp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:53 pm

I agree with you on that painprincess I still want to work but as a Support Worker working with people in a Supported Living Environment where they wish to go out is and will become increasingly difficult just hope my company can find me re-deployment as struggle to walk some days
I am single and have been for about three years and now have had thoughts that I will remain single as would not wish anyone to have the burden that fibro can give I cared for my mum who had it with MS up to 6 years ago when she passed away and was fitter then but it was a struggle to do it even then.
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:57 am

Hay Robbie,u no I just put a post up about being alone and how the hell do u meet anyone with this .sending you huggles xx
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby robbiecramp » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:13 pm

yesterday saw doctor all I had recently was it's a possibility but saw a brilliant doctor yesterday who put on my sick note for work fibromyalgia so has diagnosed me and changed my meds but I am having to use a walking stick and can barely walk and walking at a slow pace for like 10 minutes nearly kills me and causes me a great deal of pain is this normal
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Postby robbiecramp » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:31 pm

painprincess returning huggies to you
robbiecramp
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:24 am

Sadly rob it is normale for some fibro suffers ,alot of lovely ppl in here find the selfs on sticks ,I no it's a killer but don't stop walking you will only stiffen up and find it even harder ,just a walk down the garden a few times a day will really help,maybe with your new meds in a few weeks your feel a lot better xxx
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby felinefine » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:49 pm

felinefine
UKFM Member

Postby felinefine » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi manly people :)

Just sort of dipped into here as a nosy female :roll: It must be so tough if you are seen or feel you have to be the breadwinner or the person bringing home the bacon (veggie of course as I am) and you cannot physically work. I do feel for you.

I live alone and have just been through a long haul of sick time and looked at ill health retirement but eventually made the decision to try and continue working.

We all have such different life stories with one known common denominator FMS, and I'm sure much more in common for some.

So pleased I found this forum and I hope that you guys really do get something out of it too :) xx
felinefine
UKFM Member

Postby Kalev » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:25 am

Hi all you Men with fibro,
It't great to find your out there I thought I was the only one! I've looked on other sites but not found any worthwhile but I think this one is.
I would like to talk with other guys about health ect so if any of you want to get touch please do. :-D
Kalev
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics