Phone scam.. Beware!!

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Phone scam.. Beware!!

Postby Flash » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:13 am

Hi all, I have just recieved a warning from a friend about a phone scam.
A man has phoned people saying that he is from BT, he has told them that their phone bill is overdue and that if they dont pay £31 now, they will be cut off. He has asked for credit card details etc to be given.

People have challenged the scammer(S) and have been told to hang up and try to make another call, they will be cut off for a minute to prove that it is the phone provider. The caller then just keeps the line open with the mute button pressed so the victim can't phone out making them think they have actually been cut off, The scammer then phones back. Also they have given the number 0800 0800 152 which is close to BTs business number.

People with other providers are told that the provider still has to pay BT for the line, so these people are ready with lies.

It's the card details they want, so beware. Just hang up and call the provider number you have on your bills. Then phone the police. They are aware of the scam and advise people to warn others. It seems to be a large group, African accents have been reported. It is hotting up quickly. Take care and beat the scammers, folks. :hit1: :hit1: :hit1:
:face-slap: :face-slap: :shooting:
Flash
UKFM Member

Re: Phone scam.. Beware!!

Postby SylvieS » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:10 am

Thankyou for the nod on this ....
Especially with the 'fibro fog' I am experiencing at the moment ~ not as alert as I would like to be.

SylvieS
SylvieS
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 pm

I have heard of this scam on FB :twisted: we have to be alert with fibro fog. thanks for posting it Flash.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Jay35 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:48 am

Here i found another comment about this fraud method:

Obviously they just want to get your money, so be careful!
Last edited by denys on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removal of link
Jay35
UKFM Newbie

Postby Flash » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks Jay. Got to keeps our wits about us these days.
Flash
UKFM Member

Postby noisycalls » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:48 pm

really looks like scam! wouldnt pick up the found. just googled a little and found some interesting things here What do you think about the caller?
Last edited by denys on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: removal of link
noisycalls
UKFM Newbie

Postby shazq » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:45 pm

:welcome: noisycall, why dont you head over to "Where to say hello" and tell us a little bit about yourself. :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to General Topics