I have finally taken the plunge!!!

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I have finally taken the plunge!!!

Postby millymoodoo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 am

Hi all

For nearly 18 months now i have used crutches to mobilise but over this period i have been in so much pain especially when walking. Periodically my left leg goes completely numb without any warning and the crutches have saved me on numerous occasions. I have finally decided to purchase a mobility scooter as i just wasnt getting out at all and i have a small dog Milly who wasnt being walked as much as she should be, well not by me anyway lol!!!! I have prolapses in my cerviacal, thoracix and lumber the pain is a nightmare.

I went to meadowhall a few weeks ago and tried out the mobility scooter and it was a godsend, i then loaned a scooter on a couple of occasions at the local supermarket which was also so bebeficial. I know that by having a mobility scooter my life will be so much more bearable and Milly will benefit such a lot and we will both get lots of freshair.

I have searched on the internet as i would really like a new one and the prices vary greatly!!! I have found one for approx £900 this is for a large heavyduty scooter as i have decided that i want one that is sturdy and am not bothered about it going into the boot as most of the places i go have mobility scooters that i can loan. The prices vary greatly the one i really like is about £900 and they claim that the rrp would be £3900 and i dont understand how they can afford to knock so much off it and it comes with 5 years warranty where they come out to your home to fix it and insurance and all this sounds good but i was just hoping for some positive feedback regarding purchasing from the internet rather than buying from the local mobility shops where their prices are so high!!! My parents are helping me with this so i want to spend this money wisely as i cant afford to buy a mistake. My parents have already bought me a drive in cover for the scooter, it is waterproof and made of rubber with a frame and lockable and i just have to drive in and pull the cover over which is perfect.

I would be grateful for any help!!!

Millyxxx :-)
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Re: I have finally taken the plunge!!!

Postby LouLou » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 am

Hi Milly

Well done you! Making such a positive step forward. It's hard when you have FM, no energy and in so much pain that getting outside sounds like a horrific nightmare lol. I'm sure Milly will love walking you on your new scooter and no doubt she will tell all her furryends about it lol.

I don't use a mobility scooter at the moment so I don't know how useful my post will be. But I do buy a lot online as getting about shopping is just something I don't manage very often with working and resting etc. From past experience I haven't had any problems with purchases made online big or small. The deal you found sounds fantastic! Especially as they will cover repairs for 5 years which will give you such a peace of mind.

If you're not sure about the company try googling them and checking for any customer reviews, that's what I normally do if I'm buying from someone I don't normally buy from. As long as you are happy with them then I don't see the harm in buying online as opposed to going to the actual shop, online stores are often much much cheaper than shops these days anyway.

Sorry I can't help more I just wanted to send you my support
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Good for you taking such a step that will only enrich your life.

Don't do much internet shopping except for groceries but seem to remember some advice about making sure that thec ompany have a terrestrial address and land line number , if that's the case try ringing them just to make sure it working..I'm sure there is more advice on internet shopping from the CAB offices.

Seem also to remember that as you are disabled there are forms you can get from the tax office to claim back any tax you might have paid on the item,

Good luck with your scooter.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Pepperty » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:06 pm

sounds a very good plan Milly :-D as LouLou says, many reputable sites will have customer testimonials and a google search on the company will put your mind at rest. Buying online has many advantages, in fact theres a plus in that you legally have a 14 day money back if unsatisfied - law. I dont recal the legal jargon but you do have leeway ;-)

The major thing to check is if the item is UK based, or a grey import (foreign) - but again, loads of failsafe rules in place. If you purchase via a credit card like Barcleycard they also have an automatic insurance too :mrgreen:

Many online companies can offer amazingly low prices because they dont have the overheads that large companies do, shops/rental/logistics etc. So its always worth shopping around! I do almost all my shopping online (except food) and if I do go out shopping in person - its only to see the goods before I order online as its often free postage and cheaper cost. No wonder the high streets are fading :-?

p.s Congratulations on your plans for newfound freedom....dont forget your 'L'plates :lol:
Pepperty
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Good for you Milly :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: Being able to get out and about, even for just a short while, can be good for the soul :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: And I'm sure Milly herself would be extra happy at being able to walk you a bit more as well :dogrun1:

As well as checking things out online for the retailers rep, you could also contact Trading Standards to see if there have been any issues with them.

For the scooter itself, maybe looking to see if a local retailer has one in stock that you might be able to have a test drive on could be something to consider as well. That way you'd have an idea of what it handles like, how heavy/easy it is to manoeuvre etc so you know you're getting the right one for you. Even with the huge discount, it's still a significant amount to be paying out and you want to be sure that you're getting the most suitable one for you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby millymoodoo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 am

Hi

Thank you all for your feedback!!! I have rung the company, they are based in Leicester, Southampton and Northampton so at least the fone was answered thanks ism!!! They also sell loads of stuff on ebay with amazing feedback since they are very strict!! I am also going to the local disability shop to trial the road king which is the scooter in question thanks flupp!!! I wish i could afford to buy from the local disability store but it is £3850 for the same scooter and i just dont have that kind of money, as it is my parents have helped out with the purchase and instead of presents from family and friends for xmas and my birthday i got donations of money for the scooter appeal otherwise it wouldnt be happening!!! I bet there are others on here who need some form of mobility who are not as fortunate as me, but its wrong when we need something but dont have the money to buy it, how the heck are we supposed to purchase something this big out of our benefits when we only get enough finances to survive!!!! It makes me so very cross, this is another reason why i havnt got one sooner as i didnt know how i was going to finance it, i am so grateful to my family and friends!!!

In the summer months or dry days i am so looking forward to takeing Milly for really long walks as we live out in the country, we may even take a little picnic and flask with us!!! There is beautiful countryside and we can go out for as long as we want, if we go too far and Milly gets tired there is room in the footwell for her to catch a lift lol!!! I am very excited about the freedom we will be getting from this and the fact that i can try and make it up to Milly for all the times i havnt been able to take her and that means a lot!!! It can do 35miles on a full battery and travels up to 8mph it has also got an excellent write up on Topgear which is encouraging!!!

Thank you all for your help
MIllyxxx :-D
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:25 am

That's fab Milly you sound so excited I'm so happy for you.

It's amazing how much happines and joy we can get from just making small adjustments to our lives. And I'm sure Milly loves you no matter how often you walk her lol. I hope it warms up soon so you can have some proper doglet/huuumon time together. I know my lil Tinkerbelle brightens up my days. I can't get out and about as much as I'd like, plus working 30 hours a week but when I do get outside even for a few minutes the fresh air really helps pick me up.

And as for the Top Gear recommendation well what can I say? lol Except maybe we should pitch the idea that they have a segment called "Star in a reasonably priced mobility scooter" lol
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi Milly ..was a bit cheeky & googled your scooter ...wow it looks very impressive,no wonder it got a Top Gear write up :lol: hope you have many happy miles .

My BIL had a similar scooter for years , it really made a difference in his life & he was able to take the dog for longer walks than she liked but at least she had the basket for the return journey. Hope Milly likes the experience as well.

Something I did notice was that the company offered "scooter lessons" given ongoing press concerns over H&S issues. They seem to be free so might be worth taking, I'm sure its only an hour or so but better to know what to do properly so you can get your enjoyment out of it from the start rather than faff about for a while as you get to know what it does and how it does it.

Won't be long till you're telling us of all your wonderful trips ...maybe if we all got one we could become the FM Scooter Angels :yikes:
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby millymoodoo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi

ISM you are not being cheeky at all lol!!! I have ordered direct with the company this morning and have opted for the white glove service for an extra £45 it should have been £90 this entails an engineer delivering the scooter, putting it together, demonstrating it and he doesnt leave until i am totally happy with the workings of it!!! I had a long chat with customer services who answered all my questions as i was a bit worried about sorting out tax disc etc but they contact dvla and organise all that for me which is good. If i had ordered on ebay there is only 1 service, the scooter is delivered in a box and you have to put it together and they could do next day but i prefer the white glove option for peace of mind!!!

Millyxxx :-D
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics