[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - pilates for the first time!

pilates for the first time!

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

pilates for the first time!

Postby teepee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Today was my first time to try pilates I think that's how you spell it. I started off thinking this might be quite good for me as I limpted my self through the sports centre door only to be told by some red faced lady, " that looks good limping before you have even started" with a smug look on her face :oops: , so I told her not to give up her day job as she would never make it as a comic. :nono: . I then started my class :-) , I thought this might be ok, ooohh no once we got to the bit where everyone else was laid on their tumms , I was ok I am staying laid here on my back, minding my own listening to the soft music when :oops: the teacher comes over and says "cant you get on your tum" AT THE TOP OF HER VOICE. NO I told her quitetly, we moved on then oh god she was back again coz everyone was lifting their bottoms of the floor onto the shoulders, I WAS trying to get a little bit of space, between my bum and the mat and her she comes again and tells me I am not trying. :oops: :( . I had told her at the start of class about fibro!!. I came home and sobbed in my cup of tea and had pain, not only in my poor muscles but from :oops: . I might try another class which was recommended by a friend, this lady has experienced others with fibro, at the mo it has just brought it home how much I struggle to do some things, I have not long been diagnosed so it is such a shock still what fibro does to me :( . I know it can be like this but it still sometimes throws another emotion into the mix. I know in my heart I will keep trying so maybe that's the answer do it for myself and sometimes leave everyone else to think what they like!
teepee
UKFM Member

Re: pilates for the first time!

Postby shazq » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi Teepee

Dont let this instructor put you off, she does not sound a very nice person :nono: she should have been more understanding and she clearly did not know nothing about fibro :roll:

Try the other one your friend suggested. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby LouLou » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:45 am

What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby teepee » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Thank you for your support, it really is so nice having people who understand how you feel :-) . It can feel as if you have lost your way and have found yourself in a world of pain that no one can see or know how it hurts. I will keep you posted on my next class of pilates. Once again thank you both so much, take care. :-)
teepee
UKFM Member

Postby cameron1 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:38 pm

I was advised NOT to do these "group" pilates classes at gyms and centers as many of the instructors are inexperienced and are not doing pure pilates.

I would advise you call around first looking for instructors who have experience and training dealing with people that have fibro/ME/back injuries etc.

If you can find a "proper" pilates teacher, it can be really really beneficial.
cameron1
UKFM Member

Re: thankyou cameron.1

Postby teepee » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Thank you Cameron, I have tried the second class of pilates, the lady teacher was very good, very soft spoken and has had experience of teaching people with fibro. I have found that at the mo it is not for me. :yikes: The class made me sooo stiff I suffered so much for the next couple of days. So maybe in the future but not yet, I think maybe I need to come to terms with fibro a bit more :roll: as I have always been so sporty and active, it is wishfull thinking that I can still be a little bit active. So for now I will stick to walking the dog on days when I can. Once again thank you take care.
teepee
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:49 am

Hi teepee

Thank you for the update, I did wonder how you got on. Well at least you gave it a go and that's a big achievement in itself as I know the amount of pain we feel can often put us off trying something new. For the first year when FM hit me all I could manage was walking the dog so that's all I did. You are still being active, getting fresh air and it's good for your dog too, so don't think of it as a bad thing that it's all you can do.

Try and build things up slowly, I started adding some stretches to my routine, so when I got back from my walk while the bath was running I would do the kind of stretches you see on exercise DVD's as the warm up/cool down section. I started with just 2 stretches, then added another one and so on. It's taken me 2 years to get the routine I have going now, I can't do it everyday, some days I can only do a bit but I feel much better at least for trying.

Well done for giving it a go.

Take Care
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics