[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Couldn't return to work...just cant get it under control

Couldn't return to work...just cant get it under control

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Couldn't return to work...just cant get it under control

Postby cameron1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:46 am

So i've been off work now for 7 weeks due to a bad flare up.

Ive been having physio and was put back on amitryptiline at 100mg per day, and Tramadol.

I was improving and finally starting to feel better last week. I say better, I was no longer in absolute agony, and was able to manage reasonable everyday tasks. Albeit feeling achy, foggy, pins and needles and needing a small afternoon nap, but these things are just "normal" for me now, and I have learned to live with things everyday.

So the last week, I started to pick up the pace a little to prepare me for work, and the officer safety training I'm meant to have this week.

And it has just bounced me back to square one. I was unable to return to work today. So I have now been signed off for another two weeks after telling my employers I was coming back.

So I'm back to where I was 7 weeks ago, with the fibro in full force, and I just don't understand.

I didn't go mad and run a marathon. I got myself back to the gym for some light exercise. I did the school runs, the food shopping, the ironing and yes, I had one late night with friends. But I cant believe this has caused the fibro to flare up so badly.

Does this mean the fibro is getting worse? I cant spend another 7 weeks trying to get myself back to "normal". I cant be off work for another 7 weeks.

Just needed a rant and some help understanding.
cameron1
UKFM Member

Re: Couldn't return to work...just cant get it under control

Postby monica » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 am

So sorry to hear about your setback. I can fully understand how frustrated you must be feeling.

When I have bouts of feeling "normal" I tend to do too much, (which to most people would seem not doing much at all!) and then I'm back to square one again.

I hope it will settled down for you again in a few weeks and you can return to work.
monica
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:54 am

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LouLou » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi cameron

I agree with Fluppy on this one. It may not seem like we are doing very much but our bodies have very different ideas of what is too much. Clearly your body is telling you that it was too much and as frustrating as it is, you may need to take a step back and try again. In the last year and a half/2 years I have gone 2 steps forward 10 steps back so many times. It feels so great and fantastic when we have a period of time where the pain subsides to a bearable amount and you feel almost normal and want to go out and do it all while you can lol.

The one thing I have learnt is that even when I have "good days" I'm not to over do it or add more to my day that what I already do. It's taken me a while to get to this way of thinking but now I have my daily routine and on good days I still stick to it and no more an don bad days I cut back a bit till it eases, then go build back to the normal routine.

Try not to beat yourself up about not being able to do things or go back to work, you just need to give yourself some time to adjust and find out what does and doesn't work for you.

I hope that helps.
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Me too, pace pace pace is the only way to deal with this condition and its slow maybe use this two weeks to try to do just a little bit, just the school run or iron a couple of items not both and not a full load of washing either :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you will start to feel a little better soon
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby janlou » Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 pm

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, I WENT SHOPPING WITH MY HUSBAND JUST TOOK IT SLOW, AND NOW I FEEL LIKE I HAVE BEEN RUN OVER. I HAVE NOT WORKED FOR 19MONTHS, TOTALLY CHANGED THE WAY I WAS......I TRY AND PACE MYSELF BUT I FIND EVEN SMALL TASKS REALLY TIRER ME OUT!!! :(
janlou
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed May 15, 2013 9:29 pm

Cameron.......slow down, pace yourself slowly. Your body will let you know exactly when you are ready to return to work
We tend to think that our bodies can do what they did before fibro because our brain tells us we can. You
Will have to retrain your thoughts .

I can relate to how you feel somewhat. I still think I can do what I use to. I feel guilty being off work at
times because there are the odd times I feel great. Then...usually after I push myself too hard I
know why I left work one day 23 years ago...never to return
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Thu May 16, 2013 12:12 pm

As others have said pacing is the only way forward with this condition and one I still have difficulty with . I have terrible bouts of fatigue and can not just physically do all that my brain would like me to do . If I forget and over do it I can be almost back to square one and in my bed for a day or two .

Obviously from what you said your main goal at the moment is getting back to work and continuing in work . Given that you may need to cut back on all other activites. Not sure what you do but can you try and mimic your work activites at home. If you are in a desk job use the next few week to declutter and review all the family papers, do very light household tasks , do the school runs but put in as many breaks as you need. This might then give you an idea of how you will function in work and whether or not you need to have a chat with your boss about changing your work load or allowing you more breaks . A 5 minute walk around the office might ease some of the pains you might get with sitting or an extra 10 minutes in the afternoon that would allow you to find somewhere quiet so that you can zone out for a while almost cat nap . That 10 min down time would then give you the energy for the rest of the day

When back at work keep pacing , you may have to let things around the house slip for a while or rethink how they are tackled. Delegate the more physical activites like hoovering or ironing use Internet shopping to get groceries etc if you can.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you .
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Thu May 16, 2013 12:29 pm

What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics