Cycling with Fibro

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Cycling with Fibro

Postby helenclaire » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi Everyone,

The weather is finally getting better (hurrah!!) and I need to do something. I am currently walking to and from work as much as I can. But I was wondering if any one had tried cycling. I know that everything will hurt, but I have to do something to try and stay fit and healthy, and if I'm in pain all the time anyway a little more won't hurt.

I have really bad knees and don't know if the cycling will be better than walking as it is a continuous motion rather than 'jerky'?

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has tried it.

Thank you xx
helenclaire
UKFM Member

Re: Cycling with Fibro

Postby Depp_lover1980 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:35 pm

Cycling is much better for the knees than both walking and running, as there is no bodyweight impact from the body, just continuous motion. You will likely get delayed onset muscle soreness the next day, but your muscles will adapt quickly. You have the right attitude for sure, if you are already in pain, then a bit more trying to get fitter won't really make much difference! At least you control this pain! ;-)
Depp_lover1980
UKFM Member

Postby helenclaire » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Thank you! On your recommendation I will now go and buy a bike. Ha ha!

I'm very excited. Anythings worth a try x
helenclaire
UKFM Member

Postby Depp_lover1980 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Just pick some nice flat routes, use the easiest gears to start with and just go slowly. Build up if and when you want. The fresh air should do you lots of good and the exercise flush toxins through your body, so lots of water after. x
Depp_lover1980
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:53 pm

last time I cycled (over two years now) it freaked me out :yikes:

the traffic, the motions, the concentration on the traffic, the pedestrians crossing, the cars taking over, other cyclists taking over etc etc :chicken-dance:
for others you cease to be a human being, your being is restricted to an obstacle which is to be avoided (or run over) :face-slap:
it was too much for me to take in :crazy:
I was quite scared and couldn't focus much further than just in front of my bike (tunnel vision) and glad when back home :crazy:

still have my bike :-?
reluctant to give it away, would mean to admit another "thing" I can't do anymore :dunno:
will give it another try somehow in the future

all the best
stay save
maybe borrow a bike from a friend first before spending the money and then think which bike to get
quite often you can "try" it out

Lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Depp_lover1980 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Walk your bike to a park if you have to, take quiet backroutes to begin with. Go at your own pace, I am a seasoned biker now but it wasn't always that way. Wobble! It's like being a kid again at first, but like children we build in confidence. :-)
Depp_lover1980
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics