Worried about losing my driving license

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Worried about losing my driving license

Postby auntsa11y » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi I was diagnosed with FM 16 years ago and have managed life quite well until 6 months ago , my life is so hard now , I can hardly walk ,and I am in constant pain nearly everywhere it has got so severe so quickly , it is a real shock. One of my biggest worries apart from being forgetful is lately I am forgetting where I am going whilst driving even to family or friends , I have driven to quite a few places and then think where am I . Will I lose my drivers license if people find out? :crazy:
auntsa11y
UKFM Newbie

Re: Worried about losing my driving license

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:47 am

I would imagine that the license people are more worried about if you are a safe driver and have full control of the vehicle rather than can you get to your original destination.

I was advised at a works medical that some of the drugs we take can cloud our cognitive fuunction (how we think) and if that I was involved in an accident that I might be told not to continue driving however there was no legal requirement for me to advise DVLA that I was taking these medications .

If you fall into the same bracket, I guess its up to you to make the choice of are you a safe driver and do you want to continue driving or do you need to take a small break from driving until you feel safer on the road. None of us want to loose our independance, then again none of us want to be the cause of a serious/fatal accident.

Difficult call but I guess it is ultimatly up to you ......special hugs and good wishes with your decision
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:14 am

I agree with ISMom. This is a personal choice. It is obvious that you are uncomfortable driving because you are asking the question.

With or without fibro I think many people tend to forget where they are going and why. I now make a list when I go out saying where I am to go and the reason I am going. Medications can do this to you also.

Because of my sleep apnea I prefer notto drive. I do short distance but not long . At one point years ago, I stopped driving at all because the medication I was on made me very uncomfortable driving.

As far as pulling your licence, if your driving abilities are not being affected then why would they?

I wonder if you have not already made the decision about driving yourself already. If you are concerned and stressed while in the car it will affect your driving. Good luck!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:27 am

I agree with ISM and Whoami on this one.

I only drive for a maximum of 10 minutes at a time now as that's all I feel comfortable with. And if I ever feel the slightest bit doubtful of being able to drive safely or the pain/fatigue is really bad that day then I won't drive at all.

I take my time when driving, have the radio on low in the background and if I need to stop for a few minutes I do.

It is a tough call as it is a form of independance but you also have to think about your safety and the safety of others. If you are ever in doubt, don't drive but maybe take it day by day and see how you are?
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby auntsa11y » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:35 am

Thank you for you,re replies , I can only drive short distances now and would not attempt anything else. Its my husband who keeps telling me I will lose my licence if I mention to the doctor another problem, I do not tell the doctor lots of my symptoms as worried she will think I am a hypochondriac. I do get worried about my driving but will drive if I feel safe to do so , thank you
auntsa11y
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:09 am

....Don't ever not tell your Dr anything.

I was doing this and he said, how can I be expected to treat your condition properly if you don't tell me everything. I was not saying everything to the people at my hearings for pensions and they told me the same after getting info from my Dr. After hearing everything it was granted.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:44 am

A GP will usually only contact DVLA if there are medical concerns about your condition affecting your driving. It's always wise to mention these sorts of things to your GP tho as there may be some way to ease or alleviate the problems. My licence was revoked way back in 2000 because I was struggling to judge distances, speeds and general spatial awareness. I'd had a few shaves that were far too close, so after receiving a similar suggestion from the consultant I was seeing at the time, and advising DVLA about my problems, they decided I was safer off road.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:59 am

As Fluppypuffy ( sorry I always get your name muddled, LOL) said it would only be reported if needed. Something could be fixed rather quickly if a Dr knows. If it let go it could have fatal results.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Iceskatemum » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:14 am

I think there are a list of conditions and meds on the DVLA website which you have to report,after that its up to the individual to report or not..Remember that some modifications on your car just might help, I now use an automatic as I find it much easier to drive.
If in doubt contact the disabled drivers association as they can arrange for an assessment and advice of what might help.
Sorry to hear about your problem FP must have been very hard loosing your independence but congratulations on admitting the issues and doing the right thing.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby auntsa11y » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Thank you all who,s replied and have made my husband read youre comments, we have decided to go to the doctors next week too and I write all my problems down , I do not think its the medication I think it because not only the fatigue that makes me tired and confused but the pernious anemia I have associated with chrohn,s disease.
I have just added myself to this group and it is so helpful , I have learnt I must tell my doctor all who can help me as I am desperate for help and management of my life as I feel so worthless at the moment
auntsa11y
UKFM Newbie

Postby MichelleJ » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:43 pm

I asked the pain clinic about driving and she said no reason I can't. So I do drive, had hand controls fitted to make it easier. Having said that if I don't feel well or alert enough to drive then I don't take the chance but that's the same as every other driver. So as long as u only drive when you feel fully alert and fully capable of making driving decisions then there is no reason why you shouldn't drive.

My hubby lost his licence in April due. To a seizure so I'm the only driver in the house now.

Just use your common sense Hun and you'll be fine.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:28 am

Auntsally , something i have found through being in this forum ...never think of yourself as worthless, there may be times when life and the universe get us down and we can 't do what many other folk can but something we are not is useless.

Big soft hugs
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:18 am

ISM........you are sooooooo right!
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:14 am

sally

I agree with ISM, you are not worthless at all. You didn't ask for FM and it's not your fault. So glad you are going back to your GP, I always have to write a list of what I want to say as I know I'm bound to forget something afterwards lol :facepalm: :facepalm:

MichelleJ wrote:Having said that if I don't feel well or alert enough to drive then I don't take the chance but that's the same as every other driver. So as long as u only drive when you feel fully alert and fully capable of making driving decisions then there is no reason why you shouldn't drive.

Also agree with Michelle about driving. Just take each day or each trip as it comes and decide then. You now yourself better than anyone else does so you know what you are capable of.

Good Luck at your doctors
xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics