Hectic 48 hours

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hectic 48 hours

Postby SuzyVB » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Haven't been on line for the last two days really as its been a manic 2 days. On Weds night my daughter was putting stuff in the boot of her car when a woman, who tested at 4 times over the limit at the roadside, ran into her squashing her right leg between the two cars then flipping her onto the bonnet where her head smashed the lady's windscreen. I got a call around 9:30 to get to the hospital 50 miles away, as I can't drive & my husband had had a drink that night I rang round to get a loft over there. Arrived about 11pm she was eventually discharged at 2:30am with instructions to rest & visit our local hospital the following day.

We got home & she threw up everywhere which was worrying with a head injury. The following day we took her to our local hospital where they were worried about compartment syndrome as her leg is so swollen, fortunately after ice and an hour of it being elevated they located a pulse in her ankle. They still aren't sure if its fractured as although nothing's showing on the x-ray they said that could be down to swelling. She has to keep it elevated at 45 degrees for 6 days then try to move her ankle and put it on the floor just to see if she can take the weight of her leg. If she can't we have to go back to fracture clinic. She had moved out as she's 21 but is now back at home as she needs looking over.

So I'm shattered which is making my pain levels even higher and that's made worse by a husband who's sulking as his quiet house has been disrupted by insurance phone calls, daughter & police plus visitors etc. the woman responsible failed to provide a specimen of breath at the police station so they took blood samples which will take 4 weeks to process. But in the meantime she's been bailed and her court date has been set for oct 15th so we're in for a stressful few weeks. I just hope this doesn't all trigger a flare up as my daughter needs me.
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Re: Hectic 48 hours

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm so sorry to hear what has happened to your daughter Suzy :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: I have to say as I was reading thru what you were saying, I was really fearing the worst for her :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Without wanting to sound glib, it is quite possible that what you're going thru at the moment will trigger off some sort of flare along the way :( :( :( If you can try and keep this in mind and stay within what you know you are able to deal with, hopefully it will mean that when something does/tries to raise it's head above things, it's impact won't be quite as flooring as it could have been.

I know it's far easier to say it than do it, esp when "Mum Mode" is fully engaged as it will be for you at the moment, but to be able to look after your daughter in the way you will be wanting to, you also need to look after yourself as well to give you the best chance of not being affected as much as you would be if you went at everything at full pelt, which is probably what your heart and head are wanting you to do anyway :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Not really sure what you can do with the sulking hubby. I know if it were my family all thoughts about a normally quiet house/life would be right at the back of things with what would need to be done in such a situation :( :( :( I hope it isn't too long before he realises that his quiet house will return when your daughter is feeling better and able to go back to her own place, and that what is of paramount importance at the moment is supporting and helping both you and your daughter thru this :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: time :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Going thru something like this can stir up all sorts of thoughts and feelings, so please don't think that you have to keep them bottled up. Whilst we may not have the answers for you, you know that you can let things out on here and that there is usually someone not too far away with plenty of :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: and :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: to hug :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Does sound like a busy few days must of been really scary for you all, I know how it was for me when I got hurt in a car crash. I hope your daughter gets better and you look after yourself too & just ignore the hubby he will get over it lol.
Victoria x
Pinkprincess205
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks guys. I think seeing both cars made hubby realise that a bit of disruption is nothing considering how it could have turned out. Seeing her hair still in the woman's windscreen was quite sobering
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:23 pm

So sorry to hear about your daughter Suzy and hope she is OK remember to pace cos I've found when we are needed we seem to race around and then when everything calms down thats when the flare starts :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Iceskatemum » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Firstly I hope your daughter is keeping a better , have been in something similar a few years ago with NO1 son so can appreciate the helplessness you feel . legally they are over 18 and so technically you aren't needed for all the legal paperwork etc but they still need you there to organise it all and be mum & dad
Have you thought may be your hubby is just a bit shocked by it all , we all react differently to situations and he might be feeling powerless in all of this , perhaps his sulking is more him trying to control his anger at the person who did this to your daughter.
Is there a "daddy" job he can be involved in , may be your daughter could set him up as the person to oversee all her car insurance stuff , that way he feels involved but isn't at the coal face so to speak.

I am totally amazed at the lack of suport from the medics , in effect they are relying on you to dx your daughters condition. IF I were you I would make myself a nuciance at either the GP or the out of hours or the A&E until you are happy with how she is being treat and her overall condition.

As for you rest when your daughter is resting, try and pace everything , take any offers of help , even if it is a visitor offering to make you a cup of tea or if someone offer to cook a meal just say yes.

October is a long way away, try and put it out of your mind for a while , you can bet your bottom drawer the woman will.

I really do wish you all the best and hope that things improve over the next while.

Don't be surprised if you get very angry and upset in the weeks to come when you are out of the initial shock and go more into the what might have beens. You might even need to go see your GP to talk things over .
Before Court take time for all of you to talk to Victim Support Groups they can be very good at helping you gain insight into the legal system, how you feel after a crime etc.

Good luck and hope your daughter's health improves and all the doctors concerns aren't justified.
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby LouLou » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi Suzy

I really hope your daughter is ok. I'm sending you all my love and best wishes.

xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Return to General Topics