Medical records

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Medical records

Postby hazely » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:52 am

Hi im not sure if any of you already know this as i only found out today but the government are going to be sharing our medical records by march 2014. We were supposed to receive a leaflet through the post about this but i haven't and when i was at the Drs the other day i saw no notices regarding this.

Basically, if we do not opt out of this scheme by March 2014, our medical records can be purchased by anybody who wishes to pay for them. This is an opt out scheme, not an opt in scheme, promoted by the government, so millions of records are going to be available for anybody to peruse.

It says that the information will be used for uses (other than our primary healthcare)

It also says that no individuals will be identified, but as our NHS number will be used, how long will it be before somebody makes a connection.

I also tend to think that the first people to buy this information will be the insurance companies. They will be able to determine trends and geographical areas for various illnesses.

I also tend to think that the first people to buy this information will be the insurance companies. They will be able to determine trends and geographical areas for various illnesses, and could adjust or decline cover accordingly.

You could speculate forever about the uses this information will be used for, and it will be attractive, because of the sheer amount of data available.

You could speculate forever about the uses this information will be used for, and it will be attractive, because of the sheer amount of data available.

Here's a link to the details and an op out form
http://medconfidential.org/how-to-opt-out/
hazely
UKFM Member

Return to General Topics