I'm so cross.

Enjoy general conversation with other members

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

I'm so cross.

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:28 pm

I'm really cross with my other half.we were going to see a dog that needed to be rehomed ,for over a week me and this lady been sorting times and places to meet then he comes home and tells me he don't want a older dog round the little one,I feel like I have waisted this poor women time. Who uses this site to.then he tells me he has got me a mother day gift a puppy border collie,I don't no weather to laugh or cry.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Re: I'm so cross.

Postby zoomie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:48 pm

:oops: sounds like his heart is in the right place....if a little misguided! :roll:
Fibromyalgia comes in many shapes, sizes and abilities... DON'T DISCRIMINATE!!!!
zoomie
UKFM Member

Postby Meulan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:57 pm

Sounds like you'd be better off with the rescue dog and ditching the man! Stress such as this only triggers and makes our FM worse....... will leave it up to your conscience, and don't be bullied !! x
Meulan
UKFM Newbie

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Lol I'm not dumping him for this ,I understand his point about not knowing the dog with little one if it did bite her I'd never forgive myself to .its the fact he left it so late to tell me. And I had to let this lovely lady down that made me cross.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:39 pm

I can vaguely recall someone on here who had a collie/staffy cross (that was the one you had mentioned in your other topic) but I can't recall seeing them on here for a good while.

Altho OH's conerns about an older dog, esp a rescure/rehome with the little one are understandable, there are also concerns with a puppy and small children that will need addressing.

Puppies have a mouthful of tiny, razor~sharp teeth which can mean some very painful nips/bites, esp when their adult teeth are pushing thru and making them sore, as biting on something....anything in fact, is how they tend to make things a little less painful.

Puppies need housetraining, which as well as meaning you will be up and down thru the night for a while, which will bring various accidents with it. Little peoples can find these accidents most interesting and end up in the middle of them :puke: :puke: :puke: Plus puppies often have worms in their early weeks, which are passed out in their pooh as wormers take effect :shock: :shock: :shock:

As training is best started from an early age, it needs everyone to be using the same techniques/approaches, which little ones don't tend to do at first. If the pup knows that the ickle huu~mon will do something much more fun than the stuff you do, pup could be more interested in that than you.

Altho they tend to be like whirlwinds, pups do need rest and down time. If you haven't got somewhere for pup to go that can be it's safe and undisturbed place, little ones can tend to want to keep playing and playing, which the pup will happily join in with until it either gets so hyped up, or gets so overtired/exhausted that things start to get rather grumpy/nippy/noisy etc.

I'm not wanting to put you off, tbh when someone says they're getting a :dogrun1: I get more :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: about it than when they say they're having a baby :oops: :oops: :oops: But getting a pup or dog is pretty much as life changing as having a baby, and needs to be prepared and planned for as much as possible, incl making sure that the one you decide on is the right one for you and your family situation.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Katie Louise » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:47 pm

We got a staffie cross rescue dog and he was great for about 6 weeks then for know reason turned and attacked my husband I was just glad the kids were in bed. As nice as it is getting a rescue dog sometimes a puppy is the better/safer choice with children around

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Katie Louise
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Pain princess.....put your anger aside for a moment.

If the lady uses this site then she will know the situation and I am sure she will understand. I think your hubby has had his heart in the right place but put you in an embarrassing situation. I can understand your frustration and anger. I guess you have to decide which dog to take or take them both....

Whatever you do...make the decision based on both of your feelings and opinions. Enjoy and accept the love of whatever dog you decide on.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Fluppy that was one of the reasons I wanted a older dog.im really starting to think its a bad idea full stop.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:02 am

It's not a bad idea at all, it's one that could make a wonderful difference to you and your family, but it is one that does need a lot of careful consideration. Whatever breed or crossbreed that you are interested in needs a decent amount of research to ensure it will be suitable for you, but also that you will be suitable for the doglet. For example, border collies, we know quite a few of them and they are wonderful dogs. However they are highly intelligent and as well as needing physical exercise, they also need a lot of mental exercise/stimulation, which is why you often see them in things like agility and flyball teams. It helps tap into their natural busy nature to keep them happy.

I have a springer, and like collies, they normally need a lot of mental stimulation, as well as physical exercise to keep them happy, which is why owners sometimes sign up for things like gundog training. Not because they are wanting to hunt and shoot, but because the way a gundog is trained is very disciplined, which is what a springer tends to need. The dog may never gp on a shoot in it's entire life, but owners can use the skills both they and the dog have learnt when out on walks by introducing elements of such activities, such as throwing a dummy for the dog to find and retrieve.

Things like health problems also need considering. Collies can have serious hip problems, as can springers, which tend to be lifelong and over the life of the doglet will become increasingly expensive. I've found this out with problems my girlie has, with dislocating kneecaps and hip dysplacia, because, altho we asked all the right questions that were suggested/recommended when we went to see her, they had all the right answers, and did an excellent job of hiding the fact that she came from poor breedlines.

Don't give up on the idea, just do as much as you possibly can to make sure that you and the doglet are right for each other.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:43 am

Flup is right I got talked into getting a puppy after my last rescue dog went to Rainbow Bridge and although I love Harry to bits (he's the collie in my profile pic) he has severe hip dysplasia in both back legs and also has some mental health problems both of which mean he cant go out much and when he does its not very far.

I have Grandchildren and when they were very small, Harry was never trusted anywhere near them as he is unpredictable but as they have grown he is better with them (still would never leave him on his own with them though)

Our vet advised cage training and it meant he could escape when he needed to and could be put in there to sleep etc. It worked really well.

Because of his problems Harry will not be suitable for surgery and so we know he wont have a very long life but I think (hope) he is having a happy one, so undertaking any animal has to be done with a lot of thought and soul searching but if you feel its right for you then good luck and I hope you all have a very happy long life together :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby zappa20 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:42 am

denys wrote:
Because of his problems Harry will not be suitable for surgery and so we know he wont have a very long life but I think (hope) he is having a happy one, so undertaking any animal has to be done with a lot of thought and soul searching but if you feel its right for you then good luck and I hope you all have a very happy long life together :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Our old girl who's a giant breed was diagnosed with severe hip dyspalsia when just 2 years old after developing back end problems. X-rays showed her body had already developed bone spurs as natures'a ttempt to keep the ball joint of her femur in the hip socket. Despite this on Metacalm she's now 10 and still going albeit her walkiing is very slow now. So you never know your boy might surprise you and live a long life despite the hip problems as long as you're careful with him.

Metalcalm can sometimes work wonders even in severe hip dyspalsia, as the pain isn't always relevant to the severity of the dyspalsia. Which is why several working police dogs who could clamber over 6 foot sfences were found on checks to have severe hip dysplasia but strangley no pain.

We used to show dogs all over the UK and at Crufts , so had quite a number of dogs as we occasionally bred a litter and usually kept 3 from each. One pup depite having parents with 0/0 and 0/1 hip scores which is nearly perfect was crippled with severe dyspalsia at just 5 months. After his first double dose of Metacalm he was jumping around like a spring lamb, was like a miracle had happened with him. When he was a year old and we knew he's be fine he went to a pet home, and had a very happy life there until he sadly died aged 11, which is a long life for a giant breed.

Hope your boy does well .
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:11 am

FluppyPuffy wrote:I'm not wanting to put you off, tbh when someone says they're getting a :dogrun1: I get more :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: about it than when they say they're having a baby :oops: :oops: :oops: But getting a pup or dog is pretty much as life changing as having a baby, and needs to be prepared and planned for as much as possible, incl making sure that the one you decide on is the right one for you and your family situation.

Couldn't agree more with what FP has posted here. I'm not trying to be horrible here Painprincess but with all the problems of pain and fatigue you've got with your Fibro , and with a young child to look after I don't think now is the right time time for you to take on the lifelong committment of a dog or new puppy.

I would never sell you a pup knowing your present circumstances as stated on this forum. Not because you're a bad person or unkind or anything like that. But because It's hearbreaking when people buy a dog and then find it doesn't work out because they didn't realise the committment involved or due to work, family or health problems. when things go wrong and the dog has to be rehomed kids get upset , you get upset and the dogs also gets upset, and often has by that time developed one of two undesirable beahvioural problems.

Please, please think about this very carefully before going ahead with it.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:06 am

I've had a chat with other half, I told him everything I was worried about ,he has made his mind up he is getting one.but he is taking pup to work he runs his own company so his on his own in the building mostly,I also told him he is doing the night time crying as a pup is like a baby.i said I'd have pup two days a week as I want it to love us all, but I made it very clear he buys it he does the dirty work.after all no one one cleans my rats or spiders for me .i really hope though he waits a year or two yet.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:52 pm

Zappa thank you for sharing your story about your furbabies, it gives me hope for Harry, he was on metacalm at the beginning but now takes seraquin and has injections every 4 weeks (cant remember the name but sure it begins with an S) has carperieve and pardale and symmetrel

plus his zanax propanalol and clomicalm for his anxiety. He rattles :lol: I also got some good advice from the Border Collie rescue society (as advised by Fluppypuffy) as to the best food for him etc. So hopefully he'll do as well as some of your pups :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:59 pm

Lovely, positive story to share with us about your furbabies zappa. Helps give us hope for our furryends to have a good, comfortable life even with their own problems.
painprincess1 wrote:I've had a chat with other half, I told him everything I was worried about ,he has made his mind up he is getting one.but he is taking pup to work he runs his own company so his on his own in the building mostly,I also told him he is doing the night time crying as a pup is like a baby.i said I'd have pup two days a week as I want it to love us all, but I made it very clear he buys it he does the dirty work.after all no one one cleans my rats or spiders for me .i really hope though he waits a year or two yet.

Sounds like you've got the basis for a pretty workable plan PP :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to General Topics